Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Hiking Shoes

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like my Salomon Speedcross 4's for trails where I'm either running or not too worried about rolling my ankles. For ankle support and tougher hiking I have a pair of Asolo FSN 95 GTX's that have been rock solid.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another Merrell MOAB recommendation here. I have a pair with over 2k miles on them that still have life. That Vibram rubber is great! I semi retired that pair (it’s in my get home bag) and replaced it with another pair of MOABs.

Feedback Score
    I'm in team Salomon here. I have worn numerous pairs for almost the last 20 years domestically and abroad. Primarily the XA Pro 3Ds GTX and Non-GTX. They break-in so easily and feel great on your feet. I have an older pair of Speedcross and have worn them more limited as they are so soft and wear out pretty quickly on asphalt. I usually rotate new pairs to trail shoes to yard shoes.

Feedback Score
    All about the Salomon boots. They are among the only boots in the outdoor world that you can actually hike in comfortably out of the box without any break-in. They also cater to a wider foot better than most brands.

XA Pro 3D GTX for lighter pack weights - Quest 4D GTX for heavier pack weights.

I love the Quest 4D GTX so much that I've purchased 3 of them over my lifetime so far. And I have no intention of changing anytime soon.

Happy hiking!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthTheBenning View Post
    All about the Salomon boots. They are among the only boots in the outdoor world that you can actually hike in comfortably out of the box without any break-in. They also cater to a wider foot better than most brands.

XA Pro 3D GTX for lighter pack weights - Quest 4D GTX for heavier pack weights.

I love the Quest 4D GTX so much that I've purchased 3 of them over my lifetime so far. And I have no intention of changing anytime soon.

Happy hiking!
    I have to strongly agree with the above. I have had a lot of boots over the years and none fit me like Salomon’s. I have had Keen, Merrill’s, Lowas and Asolos. But with those, I have an issue with either the toe box or instep/arch. Not with Salomon’s. No break in either. My Lowas I had to go about 15 miles before they fit halfway decently.
    I currently have 2 pair of Quest 4D GTX. 2 pair of XA Forces mid. 2 pair of Speed Assault, 2 pair of XA Pro 3D low cut and 2 pair of Speedtrak.
    Mission drives gear and all that. Think I am sold on Salomon’s? You bet! Best fitting shoes I have had in my life. For hunting, I have leather Crispi’s. (Titan Plus insulated)
    Last edited by soulezoo; 05-22-20 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I started out with the Asolo Fugitives and really liked them for a handful of years for everything from the range and classes, to hiking in CO hunting elk. My only complaint was my feet seemed to get fairly hot from the GTX lining...which lasted a long time as far as GTX boots go (longer than most others on the market). That said, they did eventually leak and still had life left on the soles and uppers, so I started looking elsewhere.

I tried several models from Lowa, Salewa, and a couple others, but from all the great reviews on the Quest 4D, I decided to go that route a couple years ago. They ended up fitting my feet great and didn't require break in but the biggest downside I read on them was that the GTX was only good for a season of use...so I made one tweak to this formula and went with the NON-GTX lined Forces model and paired them with the Rocky GTX Socks and haven't looked back since!

It's such a great system that solved the problems I had with other boots...mainly, my feet breathed much better without the GTX lining, and my footwear lifespan wasn't limited by the GTX lining breaking down. When I need the waterproofing, I just throw the socks on (plus gaiters) and rock on. GTX linings break down from all the flexing, so by using them only ~10% of the time when needed, it makes them last so much longer. The other benefit is that your boots will dry out quicker, being "unlined".

Just a note about the socks, make sure you get a good snug fit (not constricting) so that when you hike with them, they don't shift or bunch up and cause blisters. I've hiked a handful of miles at a time with mine on in the mountains and haven't had any issues. You may also want to use a thinner sock as well. Link to socks for those interested: (https://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Gore-te...s%2C213&sr=8-2)

Also, pro tip on blisters...get "Leukotape P"...it's absolutely the best tape I've ever used to prevent blisters. Put it on dry feet BEFORE you start hiking and it will stay on easily for 5 days hiking through the mountains. Just don't put it on after you start getting soft skin or blisters, cause it WILL peel that sh*t off when you take the tape off! (https://www.amazon.com/Biersdorf-Leu...0206842&sr=8-2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    I started out with the Asolo Fugitives and really liked them for a handful of years for everything from the range and classes, to hiking in CO hunting elk. My only complaint was my feet seemed to get fairly hot from the GTX lining...which lasted a long time as far as GTX boots go (longer than most others on the market). That said, they did eventually leak and still had life left on the soles and uppers, so I started looking elsewhere.

I tried several models from Lowa, Salewa, and a couple others, but from all the great reviews on the Quest 4D, I decided to go that route a couple years ago. They ended up fitting my feet great and didn't require break in but the biggest downside I read on them was that the GTX was only good for a season of use...so I made one tweak to this formula and went with the NON-GTX lined Forces model and paired them with the Rocky GTX Socks and haven't looked back since!

It's such a great system that solved the problems I had with other boots...mainly, my feet breathed much better without the GTX lining, and my footwear lifespan wasn't limited by the GTX lining breaking down. When I need the waterproofing, I just throw the socks on (plus gaiters) and rock on. GTX linings break down from all the flexing, so by using them only ~10% of the time when needed, it makes them last so much longer. The other benefit is that your boots will dry out quicker, being "unlined".

Just a note about the socks, make sure you get a good snug fit (not constricting) so that when you hike with them, they don't shift or bunch up and cause blisters. I've hiked a handful of miles at a time with mine on in the mountains and haven't had any issues. You may also want to use a thinner sock as well. Link to socks for those interested: (https://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Gore-te...s%2C213&sr=8-2)

Also, pro tip on blisters...get "Leukotape P"...it's absolutely the best tape I've ever used to prevent blisters. Put it on dry feet BEFORE you start hiking and it will stay on easily for 5 days hiking through the mountains. Just don't put it on after you start getting soft skin or blisters, cause it WILL peel that sh*t off when you take the tape off! (https://www.amazon.com/Biersdorf-Leu...0206842&sr=8-2
    Great info and will check out the GTX socks/liners and tape. I had used them years ago but felt they were too big. I’m sure the technolgy has come along way. I have the same issues, GTX is too hot for me so the liner is a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Salomon's are my go to hiking, camping shoes. They are comfortable right out of the box.

Feedback Score
    One vote for Timberland! Been wearing them for years and I love mine.

https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    Salomons are great if you have narrow feet. Hear the Ultra 3 and 4 may offer Wide sizes. Same goes for Asolo.

I've used Brooks Cascadia and Keens. They were both very comfortable for wider feet.

Know the post is old but anyone know some US Made hiking shoes? (keen does but they're work models from what I've heard. Danner used to but they're offshoring production for the shoes I looked at)

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast