Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Build

Feedback Score

First Build

This is my first attempt at building a AR15 and I could use a little help from the Pro's. I'd like to start by buying a barrel, looking at a 18" rifle length gas, mid weight tube. Where I seem to be hitting the wall is I don't know much about who makes a decent barrel, Faxton, LaRue? Kinda in the dark on what works well with out breaking the bank.
    Thanks,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shank View Post
    This is my first attempt at building a AR15 and I could use a little help from the Pro's. I'd like to start by buying a barrel, looking at a 18" rifle length gas, mid weight tube. Where I seem to be hitting the wall is I don't know much about who makes a decent barrel, Faxton, LaRue? Kinda in the dark on what works well with out breaking the bank.
    Thanks,
    This post should be in a different section. This is for completed builds. Maybe a Mod can move.

To answer your question... What is the purpose of the rifle? What is your budget?

If you are looking for an 18'' rifle length barrel you are most likely wanting an SPR type build more for precision purposes. A 16;; or under is optimal for general use guns.

Depending on your budget i would look a few different places

White Oak Armament- Their SPR barrel fits your specs and is a known quality. They are very accurate and not that expensive at around $280. Brownells often has them cheaper. This is my go to recommendation under $300

Larue- I hear mixed feedback on their barrels but more good than bad. If i was buying just a barrel i would go White Oak, but if you want to get most of the parts in one place their ultimate upper is a very good deal. Everything you need but a lower receiver for under $800. They will assemble the upper for no charge right now

Compass Lake- If you can spend a little more than white oak they offer some really nice barrels. Criterion, Douglas, Bartlein, and Kreiger blanks

Keystone Accuracy- several blank options to pick from and have heard very good things

Craddock Precision- another custom smith that uses criterion, rock creek and a few other quality blanks to spin barrels

Black River Tactical- They have some really good profiles and gas system lengths. I believe they use Faxon as an OEM, but have much better QA/QC

Faxon- I have heard of to many issues to really recommend them. If you want to go budget Ballistic Advantage would be my choice

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the great info!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I’ll second White Oak because I have one. Very accurate barrel, you won’t be disappointed.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Not sure what the bank is but I'd consider a Centurion Arms MK12 barrel for 18" SPR build.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    For your first rifle I highly recommend:
    - barrel length should be 16"
    - buying a complete rifle or at least an upper from a reputable company for proven and reliable function and warranty coverage. Colt, BCM, Centurion Arms, Geissele, Daniel Defense to name a few.

Firearms are not toys to play or experiment with - crappy gun can kill or maim you for life.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    For your first rifle I highly recommend:
    He didn't say it was his first rifle, just first build.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score

First Build

I have a rifle length 20” and several mid length gas 16”, the mids shoot almost as softly as the rifle length. It’s a solid option for an 18” barrel. Your choice but I wouldn’t rule out a particular barrel just because it’s not rifle length.

You have very good suggestions above, but some of them are the higher side pricing of affordable quality. White Oak is very good but not bargain priced. You wouldn’t regret owning it, but that may raise the build cost.

Faxon is reasonable, similar to options below.

Other quality barrel options at mid level prices are:

Green Mountain Rifle, this 18” mid length is a good option http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m18-...wylde-chamber/
    I own this barrel in 20”, the GM-M20, it’s wonderful, rifle length, the M18 linked is *rifle* length (fixed, missed this is rifle not mid)

Ballistic Advantage, the BA Hanson line in particular are a nice compromise on weight versus mass for maintaining accuracy or multiple shot strings

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/1...ce-barrel.html
    I have the 16” BA Hanson mid length, no regrets there

Here is a good deal right now, https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/1...rel-ops12.html

Aero Precision (barrels made by sister company Ballistic Advantage, but different profiles available than direct from BA)
    Here is Aeros 18” rifle length. https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/556...fle-cmv-barrel

I have a 16” standard Aero profile mid length, made by BA, pretty good for price

* and while “affordable” barrels are an ok goal, you should be spending the bulk of your rifles cost in the barrel, likely the single most expensive part except an optic. Bad barrel is bad rifle, an 18-20” is meant to achieve accuracy at range, it is a waste of effort and cost if it is inconsistent.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
    Last edited by lordmorgul; 12-29-19 at 00:37.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a Faxon 14.5 Match gunner. Not the barrel you where asking about: but it is a quality piece. For it's weight and profile it shoots very well. I regularly get 1.5 MOA from M193 clones, and even after a mag or two the POI doesn't shift like lesser barrels of a similar profile.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shank View Post
    Thanks,
    What are you expecting the rifle to do and with what ammunition?? If you expect top accuracy and are willing to shoot premium ammunition to get it the cost of a good barrel will be a small piece of your shooting budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast