Thread: 556 Ammo for Emergency Preparedness/SHTF?

Feedback Score

556 Ammo for Emergency Preparedness/SHTF?

So I wanted to gather input from you guys on ammo. So I'm going to be doing a 12.5" 1:7 AR build as an all around general purpose Carbine. Shooting at close/tight distances and upwards to 400+ yards. As the title says, the ammo will be for Self Defense/SHTF events. I've been doing a ton of reading and watching videos and I'm overwhelmed with options. There's M855, M193, Mk318, high quality match etc... I would like it to be somewhat effective against body armour but it's not a huge necessity. I'd prefer to train with the same ammo I'll be using for SHTF for zeroing and ballistic reasons. But again, it's not a necessity. I'll be using a DD CHF barrel unsuppressed. Any help is appreciated and I look forward to your input. Thanks!
    Last edited by Iron-E; 10-02-18 at 21:46.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    12.5" and 400+ yards SHTF. Who the **** are you shooting at 400+ yards with a 12.5" barrel gun in an end of the world scenario? Be MUCH more realistic for starters. Buy the ammo you can afford to practice with in quantity. All else is is incremental. Internet types will argue to the end of days about the terminal ballistic advantage of bonded vs BTHP bullets. The big issues is that missed shots don't count for anything. If your skill level cannot deliver first round hits at whatever target you plan on thinking you'll have to shoot...its all garbage. Be a better shooter, less of a collector of expensive things.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    12.5" and 400+ yards SHTF. Who the **** are you shooting at 400+ yards with a 12.5" barrel gun in an end of the world scenario? Be MUCH more realistic for starters. Buy the ammo you can afford to practice with in quantity. All else is is incremental. Internet types will argue to the end of days about the terminal ballistic advantage of bonded vs BTHP bullets. The big issues is that missed shots don't count for anything. If your skill level cannot deliver first round hits at whatever target you plan on thinking you'll have to shoot...its all garbage. Be a better shooter, less of a collector of expensive things.
    I have open land. I can see far as 700+ yards. I have a long rifle for that. Carbine's can easily go 400 yards with training, good ammo, and a quality build. I agree, training is most important. And I have plenty of that lined up after I do my build. I'm not really a collector to begin with. I just want reliability and quality. But I see we're you're going.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron-E View Post
    I'd prefer to train with the same ammo I'll be using for SHTF for zeroing and ballistic reasons. But again, it's not a necessity. I'll be using a DD CHF barrel unsuppressed. Any help is appreciated and I look forward to your input. Thanks!
    Thats unrealistic for a civilian buying their own ammo since the best ammo is 2-3x the cost of ball ammo for training.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    This topic always becomes a comical shit storm. Unless you are independently wealthy, you can forget it. There are hundreds of thousands and possibly millions of dead people across the globe who have seen better days because of 55gr. and 62gr. ammo. It may not be the mostultimatesuperduperykillemallstuff but it does it's job.

Personally, regardless of the land I owned, and how far I could shoot, I'd probably consider letting them get into range that would make my shots and ability more effective.

If you are seriously planning some TEOTWAWKISHTF situation, get yourself a good rifle with a suppressor.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    My current ammo stocking practice:

Loaded mags: Fusion MSR
    Training ammo: mixed stash of M855 and Precision One 62gr lead core 5.56 reman blems
    Hunting: Barnes 70gr 5.56
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Thats unrealistic for a civilian buying their own ammo since the best ammo is 2-3x the cost of ball ammo for training.
    True. But I just like to see if anything interesting pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    My current ammo stocking practice:

Loaded mags: Fusion MSR
    Training ammo: mixed stash of M855 and Precision One 62gr lead core 5.56 reman blems
    Hunting: Barnes 70gr 5.56
    That seems to be the most common I've found. Fusion for main stuff, M855 or M193 for training.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP- M4C is a discussion forum and not an encyclopedia, but some threads are covered so exhaustively and regularly that it's better to refer you to one of those. Therefore, if you'll check out the ammo/ballistics/prep sections, you'll find several threads with the info you seek. You can also use the carry/duty loads threads as a good guide as well.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب