Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Patrol Athlete: Police Magazine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The Patrol Athlete: Police Magazine

Deputy Whit Bristol and Yours Truly have an important article in the latest Issue of Police Magazine. It covers how patrol officers should approach their exercise programs specifically to improve job performance and health, while reducing risk of injuries, and other benefits to both the officer and PD:

The Patrol Athlete

A strong, fit, flexible, explosive, and well-conditioned police officer is a better police officer. Improved physical conditioning is correlated with lower officer injury and death rates, lower sick leave usage, lower civil liability, fewer civilian complaints, lower suspect injury rate, lower suicide rate, improved mental health, lower uses of force, and lower officer-involved shooting rate.

The first rule is to work hard and train consistently. Athletes from different sports train differently, but successful athletes follow this rule. The best program in the world won't work if you don't train consistently and put effort into your training. But you need to focus on the right type of training for your line of work.

Cont:

http://www.policemag.com/channel/car...l-athlete.aspx
    Last edited by WillBrink; 09-06-18 at 08:36.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Will, good reminder and/or eye opener to train for the game/sport/purpose.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    Will, good reminder and/or eye opener to train for the game/sport/purpose.
    Thanx. We aimed to give the patrol officer the most efficient and effective route to being effective and safe at their job.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    On point!

A couple years ago our SWAT team got with Ironman and they developed a work-out program for us. We rarely do bench press or curls, but lots of squats, dead-lift, cleans, and prowler pushing. Most of the guys already had a pretty decent work-out routine on their own so after a year they all dropped out. I'm lazy and need a trainer to tell me what to do so I've been sticking with it and still enjoy the functional aspect of it.

As far as the physical aspect of things, work no longer feels like work compared to what we're doing at the gym.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Will, good article.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra 223 View Post
    Thanks Will, good article.
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I believe cardio is paramount. But strength, flexibility, and power are all apart of being a well round athlete (on patrol). Rotational power is also great to have (pulling people out of cars, takedowns, etc).

I've never looked back in retrospect after a fight or foot pursuit and thought "man I'm in too good of shape".

Good article.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Being in good physical condition is a huge plus for a LEO. I highly recommend incorporating physical training that involves physical contact, i.e. judo, krav maga, boxing or another contact activity. I've seen a few people in terrific physical condition fold under pressure when a confrontation became physical, because they were not accustomed to dealing with resistive physical contact from a person they were trying to arrest.

Being in good shape both physically and mentally is very important.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    I believe cardio is paramount. But strength, flexibility, and power are all apart of being a well round athlete (on patrol). Rotational power is also great to have (pulling people out of cars, takedowns, etc).

I've never looked back in retrospect after a fight or foot pursuit and thought "man I'm in too good of shape".

Good article.
    Glad you enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Being in good physical condition is a huge plus for a LEO. I highly recommend incorporating physical training that involves physical contact, i.e. judo, krav maga, boxing or another contact activity. I've seen a few people in terrific physical condition fold under pressure when a confrontation became physical, because they were not accustomed to dealing with resistive physical contact from a person they were trying to arrest.

Being in good shape both physically and mentally is very important.
    The article tries to narrow down however where the best efforts and focus should be so to be most effective as a patrol LEO. Some may be in great condition, just not in the ways it will be most beneficial to them when it matters. The guy who runs 10 miles per day but has the grip strength of a 12 year old girl, would be considered in good shape, just not for being a patrol athlete per se
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post

Good article.
    If one has time to add the cardio, all good, but emphasizing cardio over say what's covered in the article, will be sub optimal in our view.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast