Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Teething issues with the M14?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Nope. Have had a few. Probably my favorite 30-caliber battle rifle (after the Garand). Doesn't mean that it (or the Garand) are perfect... or even in the same neighborhood as perfect.

The SCAR doesn't have thirty positions on it's gas system because it doesn't need one. Because the gas system is set from the factory and there's zero need to adjust it, unless you're some kind of weird special snowflake.

The FAL has one and shouldn't need one. Instead of a gas system set by the factory and un****able with by toddlers or boots or CIB-less SNCOs, you get a gas system that needs to be adjusted for every type of ammunition you run out of it, at all the different weather conditions you run it in. They should be set from the factory ready to run 7.62mm NATO from -40°F (without short stroking) to 150°F (without beating the gun to death), without any tabs, wheels, or pulleys that can turn your life-saving equipment into a jamomatic. I mean... the supposed benefit of a short stroke gas piston system is that it shouldn't be sensitive to changes in pressure, barrel length, ammunition type, &c. Instead we have a short-stroke gun that's more finicky than an M16, a Colt LE6920, or even an 11.5" RGP Sionics. Sure FALs run well when they're dialed in - but, again, why should I need to dial a short-stroke gun in when zero dialing in is necessary or even helpful with a "DI" AR-15?

I think you've got it backwards: You close the system by two clicks, to ensure the system gets enough gas to function. Opening the system vents more gas.

The more open the gas port bleed off is- the less gas is in the system to cycle the action or even cycle it all. Once you find where it locks open after the last round, you move it two clicks toward closing the gas port bleed off to get just a little more gas in the system for lighter rounds, dirt, or whatever.

Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 06-07-19 at 20:50.

Feedback Score
    I think you've got it backwards: You close the system by two clicks, to ensure the system gets enough gas to function. Opening the system vents more gas.
    I think we're talking about the same thing but from opposite views. I'm talking about allowing more gas by increasing the gas to the system, you and RetroRevolver77 are talking about limiting the vented gas. Same thing, just stated differently.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    The more open the gas port bleed off is- the less gas is in the system to cycle the action or even cycle it all. Once you find where it locks open after the last round, you move it two clicks toward closing the gas port bleed off to get just a little more gas in the system for lighter rounds, dirt, or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J40TE7oiBFg
    Somewhere, I have a journal that I kept of the various ammunition I ran through an FAL a few years back, recording the gas settings necessary to ensure proper function with the particular ammunition I was running on that day and under those conditions. I always made sure to dial the gas up two settings - and recorded that number. And what worked for one type of 7.62 NATO would not work with another. If I find it - since I seem to have lost the FAL lower receiver I also had around that time, I wouldn't count on it happening - I'll post it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I think we're talking about the same thing but from opposite views. I'm talking about allowing more gas by increasing the gas to the system, you and RetroRevolver77 are talking about limiting the vented gas. Same thing, just stated differently.
    Fair 'nuff.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Somewhere, I have a journal that I kept of the various ammunition I ran through an FAL a few years back, recording the gas settings necessary to ensure proper function with the particular ammunition I was running on that day and under those conditions. I always made sure to dial the gas up two settings - and recorded that number. And what worked for one type of 7.62 NATO would not work with another. If I find it - since I seem to have lost the FAL lower receiver I also had around that time, I wouldn't count on it happening - I'll post it up.
    So overwhelmingly true. Easily the FAL's worst feature against it's contemporaries. If you like fussing, try owning 8 FALs and 20 different headstamps of 7.62 NATO in Minnesota.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Fair 'nuff.
    Had same problem. If I were issued ammo.....sure whatever. But I'm not, I have to buy my own. In the 3 different FALs I've owned none would switch from brand to brand without playing with gas settings. Screw that!

Soon's I fix my current one.... because you know.....90 Countries so obviously stone cold reliable, doesn't break! Soon's it's fixed it's going in the dumpster
    Last edited by Arik; 06-09-19 at 17:56.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Had same problem. If I were issued ammo.....sure whatever. But I'm not, I have to buy my own. In the 3 different FALs I've owned none would switch from brand to brand without playing with gas settings. Screw that!

Soon's I fix my current one.... because you know.....90 Countries so obviously stone cold reliable, doesn't break! Soon's it's fixed it's going in the dumpster

Which is exactly why you adjust it two notches toward fully closing the gas bleed off after finding where it locks back on the last round- then run whatever ammo you want.

I've switched from ammo to ammo, summertime, winter etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    Which is exactly why you adjust it two notches toward fully closing the gas bleed off after finding where it locks back on the last round- then run whatever ammo you want.

I've switched from ammo to ammo, summertime, winter etc.
    Yes I understand that. Doesn't work like that though. I'd argue that one was a fluke but not 3 different ones from 3 different countries

Feedback Score
    Look, I know coulda-should-woulda, it is an obsolete design, the FAL is more ergonomic, accuracy isn't what it's cracked up to be unless you match-grade it but then can't disassemble, yada yada.

It is far from a perfect weapon. Nonetheless, it is a part of U.S. military history and I think they're cool as hell! For some odd reason I've had a "thing" for M-14's since I was a kid. Maybe my uncle's 1968 Ft. Knox basic training "yearbook" had something to do with it. Don't know for sure. Bought my first M-14 clone (SA) in 1987, right before I got out of the Army. I've had beaucoup since then and currently have three, one in an M14A1/E2 configuration.

Would I trust my life with it? Yes, the jungles of Vietnam proved it's reliability (kind of Garand-ish) despite it's heavy weight and long length. Is it the weapon I'd grab if the SHTF? No. The modern AR platform, coupled with modern ammo like M855A1, Mk262, the "FBI" load, or Mk318 would be my first choice. Add in an RDS or magnified optic which of course is MUCH easier to mount than on an M-14 and I'd be good-to-go.

I still like 'em.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

YEP ILL TELL YA WHAT IF WE HAD THEM M14S WE WOULDA WON THE WAR! HEH HEH WE WAS WINNIN' WHEN I LEFT HEH HEH....THEM QUEER ASS MATTEL MADE AY ARR FIFTEENS COULDN'T HARDLY KILL A POODLE WHICH IS WHY THEY NEED THEM THIRTY ROUND CLIPS. I FIGURE IF YOU NEED THIRTY ROUND CLIPS THEN YOU NEED MORE SHOOTIN' PRACTICE! SAME WITH THEM PLASTIC GLOCKS THAT MELT IN THE SUN. WHO NEEDS 15 ROUNDS OF 9 MILLYMEETER NO LESS? SHOOT, WE CARRIED 7 ROUND CLIPS IN OUR COLTS AND WON TWO WORLD WARS AND KOREA WITH IT. MMMHMM OF COURSE I BRUNG MY MODEL 10 .38 FROM HOME WHEN I WAS STATIONED IN SAIGON. FIVE DOLLAR HOOKERS I TELL YA. OF COURSE I NEVER HAD TO ACTUALLY GO INNA JUNGLE BUT I HAVE NO DOUBT IN MY MILITARY MIND THAT MY M14 WOULDNT HAVE RUSTED, NEEDED CONSTANT GREASING OF THE TRIGGER MECHANISM, OR HAD WARPING OF THE WOOD. THEY JUST WORK. ITS NOT LIKE THEY HAD GAPS FOR MUD TO GET IN. JUST LIKE MY DADDY USED THEM M1 GUH RANDS IN DUBYA DUBYA TWO. SENT THEM JAPS AND KRAUTS A PACKIN' HEH HEH. WELL I GOTTA GET OFF THIS HERE INTERNET. I DONT WANNA TIE UP THE PHONE LINE. MY GRANDSON MIGHT BE TRYING TO CALL ME FROM COLLEGE FROM HIS FACEBOOK. PLUS MY STORIES IS ON AND I LIKE TO TURN IN BEFORE 9 PM. YEP I TELL YA WHAT.....

Feedback Score
    My M1A says, 7.62NATO holes make invisible souls.

Plus my 1911 in 45 American Caliber Pistolero' has knock down power and it's won two world wars!

Steel for my firearms, aluminum for my beer cans!

RR77
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 06-10-19 at 08:39.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast