Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new 16-18 inch Precision barrel

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Update. Said LMT makes a good bolt. Sending me RMA

Good to hear they are trying at least

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 10-01-18 at 12:06.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I had an interesting thought that came to mind while rambling with Gunz tonight. One of the worst barrels I have ever bought -shot was a Skinny barrel Win model 70 in 30-06 bolt hunting gun. I spent $100+ ammo trying to sight in and shoot groups. It would stack two shots side by side then one 6-8 inches away to XX inches away. It was insane.

I thought this has to be a scope issue.....took to The Riflesmith AKA The Wildman...Crooks. He has a set of pins he drops down the chamber to see how tight the bore is. Common practice with good smiths. New to me. He kept dropping larger and larger pins down the pipe until he ran out. He said you have a 30-06 shotgun barrel.

His assessment was Winchester bored out the rifling then took all the meat off the barrel ( to make it light weight) then more by fluting it and the bore opened up because it lost its integrity for a lack of better words.

My Faxon is the skinniest barrel either Mark or I have ever seen, makes me wonder. If the Wildman has .223 pins I'm going to ask him to pin check it.

Just a thought.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My experience is Whiteoak 18" SPR barrel and BCM 16" SS410. Both have been solid for me and shoot submoa groups with ease. .60 and .70 MOA are common with 69gr SMK, 77gr SMK, 75gr Hornady Match and 69gr Nosler CC.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Update. Said LMT makes a good bolt. Sending me RMA

Good to hear they are trying at least

PB
    Faxon sent you an RMA? It kind of makes me wish Nathan was still there.

So much better for you and Faxon if they had someone hand pick a good barrel, test it, and then replace your current barrel when you first realized it was not going to settle down and shoot.

Andy

P.S. On the other hand, this thread is turning into a great resource for anyone looking for a better than average barrel.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-04-18 at 07:56.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm going to pull the barrel tonight. If I find anything weird or loose, I'll post it. It's a Geissele rail, so I don't expect a loose nut or anything.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have a 20" Criterion hybrid barrel on my AR15A4 clone build. I only shoot it with the carry handle open sight.

I also have a Danial Defense 18" S2W barrel on my Mk12 clone build. It has the rifle length gas system. They also make them with the mid length gas system. It shoots under an inch.

Good luck, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Check out Citizen Arms Instagram page, he uses a lot of Criterion barrels and consistently puts out Sub-MOA groups with a lot hovering around 0.5-0.75”.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Faxon sent you an RMA? It kind of makes me wish Nathan was still there.

Where did he go? He had a thread with loads of info where he answered all sorts of questions.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I looked it up.

He has a position at H&K...........think he in charge of marketing for U.S.

He was a real source of information......rare depth and practical knowledge.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    It is amazing how many excellent choices are available these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

P.S. On the other hand, this thread is turning into a great resource for anyone looking for a better than average barrel.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast