Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: The Quest for the Ultimate in a Lightweight KISS Carbine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Since it looks like this thread is going off of the rails I'll take the opportunity to change the subject while questioning the OP. What are you willing to give up for a lighter rifle?? Would you give up a full ambi lower, sling with hardware, light/mount and RDS to save what a loaded 30 round magazine weighs?? It's about percentages to me. It's easy to build a six and a half pound full featured rifle without using exotic parts. Put a loaded magazine in it and it weighs another pound. Put the same 1 pound magazine in a 5 pound rifle. My point is.. Chasing weight is easy until it starts costing real money. My everyday watch weighs a pound. My everyday winter leather jacket weighs 5 pounds. WTF should worry about a couple of ounces??
    I'm not going to be anal about cutting ounces, but the concept is to choose lightweight but necessary accessories. Put a light? Pick a lightweight one. Want an optic? Choose a light one among the alternatives.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino11 View Post
    A shooting friend of mine has one of these and I have shot it numerous times. They are a little hard to zero, but once dialed in they are pretty good.

I just ordered a refurbish unit with free shipping for $130.00. You can get a first Gen non tritium for $70.00

Point: This is two ounces. Combine this for night use with a good white light. Ultradyne irons are about the same weight as any backup irons. They are said to be quicker and more accurate than other irons. They will certainly shoot accurately at long distance, up to 600 yards. This is the lightest, most flexible, least battery/electric combination I can think of for a KISS rifle. I am going to give this all a try.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Are you being serious with this post?
    If hes serious then this thread has jumped the shark. Trading a red dot for ANY kind of iron sight has got to be the worst deal in the history of deals.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-18-19 at 20:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    If hes serious then this thread has jumped the shark. Trading a red dot for ANY kind of iron sight has got to be the worst deal in the history of deals.
    I don't know if you are talking about the See All Nite sight or the Ultradyne irons. But here is a guy who would disagree with you about red dots and Ultradyne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQMtr7Dl8k

If you are talking about See All Nite Sight at night, that is what they were built for and there is no battery. This is the KISS Rifle thread, isn't it?
    Last edited by Dr. Bullseye; 01-18-19 at 21:40.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Are you being serious with this post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I don't know if you are talking about the See All Nite sight or the Ultradyne irons. But here is a guy who would disagree with you about red dots and Ultradyne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQMtr7Dl8k

If you are talking about See All Nite Sight at night, that is what they were built for and there is no battery. This is the KISS Rifle thread, isn't it?
    So you want me to take this retards advice that iron sights > RDS?

This is all that needs to be said about this guy:

Feedback Score
    So you want me to take this retards advice that iron sights > RDS?

This is all that needs to be said about this guy:

Can you outshoot Dustin Ellermann? Just yes or no, no more BS.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So Im supposed to gauge a shooter based on their youtube videos?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    i don't know if anyone has considered this sight but it is cannot be destroyed except with a vice, is powered by fiberoptics/tritium so it will work at night and has no battery so it qualifies as KISS.

https://seeallopensight.com/products...m-night-sights

I think is weights less than two ounces. I am still thinking about this.
    A couple of observations;

• I tried one of those chevron front posts with my irons and found I could not be as precise with it as a standard post, much less than a NM (thin) front post. For short range with a handgun, perhaps not an issue.
    • Tritium in ACOGs make the FO tube glow in the dark, so I assume that block of polycarbonate glows as well ("aim here" for any adversary)
    • I had to take Dramamine after watching the video

Cool concept but I honestly have no interest in that sight. Thanks for posting the link in any case.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I'm not going to be anal about cutting ounces, but the concept is to choose lightweight but necessary accessories. Put a light? Pick a lightweight one. Want an optic? Choose a light one among the alternatives.
    Can't argue with that philosophy. As GH41 stated, it's not difficult to assemble a rifle using standard tier-1 components and keep it's final weight around the seven pound mark, even with optics. IMO, it's really a matter of striking the desired compromise between weight, reliability and precision potential.

Take a look below at this "RECCE" I assembled a years ago (when I didn't know any better). It consistently shot just under 1 MOA with preferred loads, but was full-retard overweight: heavy barrel, heavy quad-rail, heavy optic, heavy optic mount and heavy stock. Great for range play but who in their right mind would want to jackass such a .223/5.56 thing around?

To your point, it's easy to end up with a "carbine" that weighs well north of 10 pounds if you're not paying attention;

recce-1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    So Im supposed to gauge a shooter based on their youtube videos?
    Are you a better shooter than the guy you are denigrating, yes or no. You brought this on yourself. No rolleyes, no wussie talk, yes or no.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast