Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Number of Mags for STHF

Feedback Score
    A lot of well made points here, I guess I am a nut

Bug out-

Full Ciras with 8 mags, camelback, extensive first aid pouch, PVS 14 and lots of extra Batts. 2 extra mags for the .45 (XD) and one in the beast.

Extra food in a backpack.

If I have learned anything during my Gov sponsered "world tours" it is this- You can survive weeks without substanial food, days without water, but not 10 minutes without air, ammo or the ability to control bleeding......

Guess I'm nuts, theres another 10+ mags in the truck along with fuel and other Toys
    Last edited by PACKINHEAT; 09-14-09 at 03:55.
    Focus, Take a breath, engage.... Repeat

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PACKINHEAT View Post
    A lot of well made points here, I guess I am a nut

Guess I'm nuts, theres another 10+ mags in the truck along with fuel and other Toys
    If you are, then you have company.

If forced to bug out, I also have a box that will contain extra magazines. These are in additional to the ones I have on my person.

I think one of the big secrets to Preparation and Planning is to do just what those words mean. Think it out ahead. Test what you have come up with to see if it is feasible, then put it together.

Having a BOB, determining how many mags for a SHTF event, having a box of extra mags and ammo for the truck, to bug out in, is all good. But please ensure you take that thought and put it into action. During a SHTF event is a bad time to be running around, while under a bit of stress, trying to round everything up.

My magazine carriers are on a shelf in the safe next to the two AR's that would go. I have two 50 cal cans each containing 6 loaded AR mags, 4 120rd bandoleers of 5.56mm, and 200 rds of 9mm JHP. These cans are labeled on the outside "SHTF", and they NEVER have anything sitting on top of them, always sit in front of all the other ammo cans.

"Grab and get" does not mean, grab, hunt around for the missing stuff, forget something, then leave.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phila PD View Post
    I was able to ask a family member who has done two tours in the sand box and is now working on his second tour in the hills. I ask what his combat load out was and if he ever ran down to his last magazine during a fire fight. He replied that most killed in his unit during operations were by IED's and not fire fights in both locations, That said he has been in several major missions were he fired at enemy combatants in extended fire fights. His mission load out on short humps is eight and one, on longer humps many strip down the weight losing two magazines, the sidearm & ammo and a grenade. They never remove body armor/plates, water, med kit or com. In all his combat missions he stated that he never fired more then four magazines in any one of them. Asking his opinion on state side ammo carry during a SHTF event he answered with a question of his own. How many Police Officers who were armed with AR's during a fire fight has every made it Thur their primary magazine. Thinking back over the past 20 years of my LEO career I have never heard of a PPD swat officer ever getting past a few rounds with a AR. I don't think the LA bank shootout had swat officers reloading their AR's during the finial take down. I'M sure some were a LEO had to expend more then one magazine from a AR but I would think it is not common place to do so. I'M really starting to think that four and one maybe a good load out for local operations during a SHTF movement and using the weight savings for a extra med kit, compact binoculars and a food bar. When pressed for a magazine count for CONUS work his reply was three or four.
    I agree. I work in A'Stan as a contractor and am always surprised when I see guys at home who wear more gear to a course than I do over here. I think there's fantasy involved for some when it comes to fitness, usually seen in threads where self described big guys (they always used to play football... ), usually over 300 pounds, want to know where they can find kit that will both fit them and let them carry 12 or more magazines. What if you're too heavy to E&E to the end of the block?

Over here, I have a rig set up to carry 6 magazines. If I feel I need more than that, we have plenty of extras. I keep mine in a stripper clip bandoleer, so if I need more I can throw it around my neck and go.
    Last edited by jtb0311; 09-15-09 at 12:25.

Feedback Score
    Comparing soldiers in a war situation with what would be considered a SHTF situation in the US is like comparing sand to apples.

What is the situation that you are preparing for that you need 360+ rounds, in mags on your person and plenty of backup ammo?
    Where are you planning on going in a total failure of society?
    If there is some kind of chemical/bio attack, what makes you think driving from where you are is going to help?

Comparing a solider load, where they are either on the OFFENSIVE, or defensive looking for armed combatants is far from someone trying to flee in basically an evacuation situation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post
    Comparing soldiers in a war situation with what would be considered a SHTF situation in the US is like comparing sand to apples.

What is the situation that you are preparing for that you need 360+ rounds, in mags on your person and plenty of backup ammo?
    Where are you planning on going in a total failure of society?
    If there is some kind of chemical/bio attack, what makes you think driving from where you are is going to help?

Comparing a solider load, where they are either on the OFFENSIVE, or defensive looking for armed combatants is far from someone trying to flee in basically an evacuation situation.
    My point exactly. A lot of guys at home plan for an unrealistic Red Dawn fantasy (RIP Swayze).
    Last edited by jtb0311; 09-15-09 at 12:27.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have decided on the following magazine carrier due to its small profile, quick donning and cost. While its has slightly lighter construction and weight then its Eagle brand counter part its still constructed well enough to take a beating and continue to serve. I also like its dual belt snaps and I have replaced the little fixed "D" rings with larger spring arm versions which secure better around the duty belt. Since its low cost ($31.99) allowed me to buy several I can place them in all the family vehicles, BUG out locations and inside the home. They fit four 30rd P-Mag's perfectly and any Hi-Cap pistol magazines. I personally use the pistol pouches for a Stream light T-2 and a small 6X monocular. From all the information I have been able to gather from conversions with active combat Marines, my own military and L/E career and from the professionals on this site I have settled on a four and one load out. Figuring I will also be humping my Rifle, Soft and hard plate armor, Ballistic Helmet, med kit, water and com and most likely a sidearm I'M reaching the practical limits on weight. Once every week both me and the wife carry are total battle load for a walk along the railroad tracks 7.5 miles up and 7.5 back using a weighted back pack (Lead Shot Bags used for ballast) and wrist weights which equal a loaded M-4. Since my daily work load (Loaded Duty Belt, Soft Armor with IMPACT inserts and Com) reaches 65% of my battle gear its a bit easier for me to hump the extra load on the weekend. The Wife runs eight miles a day with ankle and wrist weights only taking the weekends off and I find she will start to huff and puff on the last leg of are return trip from the tracks. The greatest error will all will make is to over estimate are abilities to hump gear for a extended period of time which can place one in jeopardy if your legs give out in a bad location. Test yourself and adjust your gear to the weight you can actually hump and not what you hope to be able to do. Right now humping the weight is a good form of conditioning for me and the wife, more to stay in shape then any survival training. But its cross over potential could be a live saver if the Excrement ever did hit the fan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by perna View Post

Agree 100%, I think 4 or 5 magazines or your person is more than enough for any SHTF situation.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Phila PD,

I have settled on the two mag version for duty usage. I have found the quality vs. the cost was sufficient for my intended purpose.

I am planning on obtaining the four mag versions for each of the "extra" AR's I have. I feel these make great "emergency" magazine carriers.

The biggest downside I have found is that they tend to flop and move around a bit. Especially if running or squatting behind cover. My duty belt has enough crap on it as it is, that I haven't really found a quick and secure way of attaching it to the duty belt. It tends to settle between the Taser and the radio on my weak side.

I have had one of the Eagle Industries "chest pouches" that holds 8 AR mags and 2 pistol magazines, for a few years. This was obtained for my SHTF gear, not work related. This is a well made piece of gear, and once put on, it stays put.

The biggest issue I found with the 8 mag Eagle 8 mag chest rig was the weight. By the time I added my pack and water, I started asking if it was overkill.

I now keep the middle two pouches loaded with only one magazine per pouch. This helps me if going prone. If a SHTF event were to occur that I felt the need to don this, but I am not bugging out, I might download to only 4 magazines. The thing I like about it is that I have the option of carrying the full 8 magazines.

It is fun to sit at the computer and come up with various "Red Dawn" type of senerio's, in which we never get tired, shot, killed, or have to take a potty break.

Reality for the individual citizen within this country though can be very different. I would offer that if you found yourself in a situation that required you to reload your 30 rd magazine, you are in a rare event. If you are alone, the odds of you needing 12+ 30 round magazines, and still be alive and engaged, are on the slim side.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    Phila PD,

I have settled on the two mag version for duty usage. I have found the quality vs. the cost was sufficient for my intended purpose.

I am planning on obtaining the four mag versions for each of the "extra" AR's I have. I feel these make great "emergency" magazine carriers.

The biggest downside I have found is that they tend to flop and move around a bit. Especially if running or squatting behind cover. My duty belt has enough crap on it as it is, that I haven't really found a quick and secure way of attaching it to the duty belt. It tends to settle between the Taser and the radio on my weak side.
    The 5.11's have the built in double button snap belt keepers and to further lock down the unit I removed the "Fixed" small "D" rings and replaced them a 2.5 inch climber style spring loaded arm "D" rings. I use the larger "D" ring to clip around my duty belt to further help secure it.
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 09-16-09 at 18:34.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213