Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 7.62 Noveske AR Build

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    The thing is the Aero is 3.8oz and shorter in length vs the 5.4oz and longer Armalite(H3) buffer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was also unaware that Noveske makes a 308 BCG, and it's priced very competitively. My Aero BCG may end up as a spare if I find one on sale.

The deal with Vltor is that when they state AR10 receiver extension or AR10 buffer, they are specifically referring to Armalite components that don't necessarily match up with a DPMS or SR-25 pattern counterpart.

I slid an Aero 308 carbine buffer out of a rifle with standard carbine receiver extension, and placed it into the Aero lower with Gen 2 UBR. As expected, the bolt carrier was allowed full travel, since the buffer is shorter than an AR15 carbine buffer, and it "appears" to be fully functional. I'm not going to say with certainty that damage will occur if I fired it with this buffer, but I'm not going to find out.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Here is the best part about this conversation. It is a buffer that we are referring to and it can be changed out faster than I can type this post. If I do not like the way it works then I will change it. The reason I went with this set up is that another person that I know uses it and it works very well for them. I do not go off what has been posted on the internet as what works and what does not, no way to test the validity of those that say it. I base my decisions on what has worked for the people I know that use it in real world applications and by those that have developed them for the same or did the R&D for them.

Don't think that I am being a jerk here, I will always appreciate a good discussion on anything weapon related. I just did not haphazardly decide to do this.

Thanks for the input.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I was also unaware that Noveske makes a 308 BCG, and it's priced very competitively. My Aero BCG may end up as a spare if I find one on sale.
    Keep an eye out on them. I got mine for almost 20% for Cyber Monday sales.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't think anyone in this thread is being anything but courteous and helpful.

If it works, then that's excellent, as additional buffer options is very welcome in the 308 arena. I simply haven't read anybody state that it's a viable option. I anxiously await your results.

Feedback Score
    This is the first thread in a while that I have been interested in. I like noveske barrels and I was excited for the release of the N6 gen 3. I also caught the 308 AR bug after getting my colt 901. I'm interested to see the accuracy of this set up and how it runs reliability wise. I'm planning on buying a N6 one day. Please post grouping pictures of this barrel. Looks like you have it set up to be a battle rifle ready for 1-400 yds. What does it weigh?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    I don't think anyone in this thread is being anything but courteous and helpful.

If it works, then that's excellent, as additional buffer options is very welcome in the 308 arena. I simply haven't read anybody state that it's a viable option. I anxiously await your results.

I get it and thanks. I will hopefully be posting one this weekend.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    Looks like you have it set up to be a battle rifle ready for 1-400 yds. What does it weigh?
    That is what I was going for. I have no idea of the weight, but it is a lot less than I thought it would be. The barrel is a thick one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Yes, I am using a 308 carbine buffer with a 308 A5 RE. I wanted the extra weight to test it because of the 16" Rifle gas system. I always adjust buffer weight depending on the operations of it.
    My buffer comment was in regards to buffer length, not weight. Is the RE-10/A5SR (the only Vltor 308 A5 receiver extension I was able to locate) shorter than a standard Vltor A5 receiver extension?

I ran a Vltor A5 with H carbine buffer in my Aero until I replaced it with a Gen 2 UBR (without spacer), which is also A5 in length.
    A quick and easy test is to remove the upper from the lower and then manually push the BCG into the buffer tube against the buffer all the way in. If the back of the gas key contacts the receiver with the BCG in all the way, your buffer is too short, or your receiver extension too long.

EDIT: Alternately, I suppose you could remove the spring, and just drop the buffer into the tube and then try the BCG to see if it goes in too far.
    Last edited by georgeib; 12-27-17 at 04:04.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for suggesting removing the upper for perform the test. I'm "working" from home today and have easy access to the components to test mine. My test involves a Gen 2 Magpul UBR with A5 length receiver extension without spacer, DPMS 308 carbine buffer, Aero M5 308 lower receiver, Aero 308 BCG.

To make things easier, I removed the spring. With a short DPMS 308 buffer from my spare parts stash (which is the same length as my Aero carbine buffer), the carrier does contact the lower receiver before the buffer reaches the end of the receiver extension. With the bolt carrier fully inserted and resting against the lower, the buffer slides forward and backward in the receiver extension freely.

I honestly don't comprehend how this setup.....A5 receiver extension/SR25 pattern BCG/SR25 pattern 308 carbine buffer.....is working well in anybody's rifle. I'm not trying to prove anybody wrong....just don't want anybody, which includes people reading this thread 5 years from now, damaging their rifle.
    Last edited by grizzman; 12-27-17 at 09:54.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast