Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I panic buying.....

Feedback Score
    So, I lived in Massachusetts for 35 years. Right now you can't buy a new AR15 in the state, even those that have been altered to comply with Fed. AWB. I will tell you that before I left the state I sold an Olympic Arms AR that I'd paid about $550 for and put 5-7,000 rounds through for $1,000. I could have sold that gun 3 times over. I also sold a AK47 that I'd paid about $300 for $1,000. (To be clear, these sales were entirely legal because the guns had been purchased and registered legally and were sold to purchasers that had the appropriate licenses to own them). So you be the judge of whether it's a good idea. Personally, I think new restrictions on black rifles with scary features is only a matter of time. It may be 2 years from now. It may be 6 years from now. But it's coming. So, if you are doing this as an investment, I think it's a good idea. And if you are doing it because you want to own one of these rifles before they're banned I think it's a great idea. Even if a new AWB never happens you can have a ton of fun shooting this rifle and, if you buy a quality gun and take care of it, still sell it for at least 70-80% of what you paid for it. And, if you build your own lower you can pick up slightly blemished receivers and decent parts kits on sale for not a ton of $$$.

Feedback Score
    As long as you can afford what you are buying, and not paying huge markups I think you are not panic buying.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdMP3006 View Post
    Before the most recent shooting, I had a muzzle loader that was just collecting dust in my safe and has never been fired....but now, I'm now figuring just sell it off and get some lowers to have just incase anything happens....I had an AR15 a few years ago, but had to sell it to pay some bills because the wife got laid off and it wasn't being used and I still have my AR10....but I'm thinking buy a couple lowers of each to have...what do you guys think?
    It depends on how you felt when you wrote this.

Did you feel like if you didn't buy now you couldn't afford them later? If so, mild panic

If you just woke up and decided to spend $200 on lowers, better put it on my todo list, no panic, just making a todo list.

FWIW, IMHO If enthusiasts would just even out their purchases, the Gun Industry as a whole would be a lot healthier. Lowers going for $300-400, then down to $69 can't be easy to project manufacturing quantities or raw material purchase on. I always have 5 stripped lowers (Spikes) and a couple MUR uppers around, because you never know when you just feel like a weekend build or a friend says hey want to build an AR this weekend. Down 3 & 0, so need to replenish my stocks.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Don't forget to stock up in extra magazines!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Don't forget to stock up in extra magazines!
    And ammo.

And if I hadn't stocked up in 2018, & 2016, and 2011, & 2008, and 2001 (after 9/11), and 2000, & '98 - '99 (Y2K), and '92 - '94... yeah; I'd probably be stockpiling right now, too!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Op,
    If your looking at speculating, I think mags offer a better return than lowers. Also easier to purchase and sell since an ffl isn’t involved

Feedback Score
    Better to be safe than sorry. Just make sure the lowers are high quality mil spec ones.

Quote Originally Posted by EdMP3006 View Post
    Before the most recent shooting, I had a muzzle loader that was just collecting dust in my safe and has never been fired....but now, I'm now figuring just sell it off and get some lowers to have just incase anything happens....I had an AR15 a few years ago, but had to sell it to pay some bills because the wife got laid off and it wasn't being used and I still have my AR10....but I'm thinking buy a couple lowers of each to have...what do you guys think?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Eventually, the Dems will pay attention to how things are done in other countries and regulate any part that is “pressured” (best word off the top of my head). Bolts and barrels will be regulated.
    One of the bans that was already proposed at the beginning of this year called for a prohibition on the sale of any parts that could be used in an “assault weapon” to specifically target people who are building them at home. I think it was a reaction to the increased popularity of 80% lowers, not specifically because people are stashing stripped AR lowers at home, but the effect would be the same. There’s been a fair amount of talk in the media about “ghost guns” - 80% lowers with no serial numbers - so you can bet it’s on the radar.

While Feinstein’s proposed AWB bill earlier this year included provisions for grandfathering rifles and magazines, I believe it prohibited the transfer of those magazines after the effective date of the ban (I was trying to interpret the language when I read it). It also said that magazines would have to have both date stamps and serial numbers. While I think grandfathering will always be included, I could definitely see an effort to prohibit the transfer of those items, meaning that when you passed away, your rifles couldn’t be transferred to your kids and would have to be turned in to be made into paper clips and staples.

Feedback Score
    Been wanting another AR for awhile and didn't have the funds available....so thought what do I have that I'm not using or dont need...the Thompson Center fit the bill, didn't cost me anything to get it, i just bought the other things to go with it at the time....I saw, what I thought, was a pretty good deal on some Aero Gen 2 Stripped lowers and thought it would be a good idea...

These would be more of an investment for me and really wouldnt be looking to make any money off them...already have my eyes on mags (older stepson works in VA and I got him into firearms) and ammo also.....so I guess this is more out of a whim versus necessity or emergency...

I do have a .308 already
    IRA-10.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Maybe. I keep coming back to ammo regulation as the dark horse of a more subversive gun ban. I mean, does a lack of ammo infringe on the 2A? As we all know, an unloaded weapon doesn't even make a great club.

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Eventually, the Dems will pay attention to how things are done in other countries and regulate any part that is “pressured” (best word off the top of my head). Bolts and barrels will be regulated.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast