Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What "reach" is expected in general from a carbine light?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow93 View Post
    If you're wanting a rifle light with actual throw the ONLY option you should be looking at is the Modlite OKW. Watch this video, at least the overview shots of different lights and you will understand why. Plenty of amazing lights out there these days but we're at that point where we are trying to balance spill and throw and generally that leans more towards spill. The OKW head throws everything into its throw for rifle work but still gives enough spill that it works great indoors as well. Hence why it is my duty rifle light to go along with my Razor on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPB8COBBxHE

That's my next light.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Big fan of the Modlite OKW light, it whoops the M600DF in every aspect which I also own. I don't have comparison photos, but there are plenty good ones available on the net. P&S recently released a comparison video on youtube and brings the lights out to about 60 yards.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow93 View Post
    If you're wanting a rifle light with actual throw the ONLY option you should be looking at is the Modlite OKW. Watch this video, at least the overview shots of different lights and you will understand why. Plenty of amazing lights out there these days but we're at that point where we are trying to balance spill and throw and generally that leans more towards spill. The OKW head throws everything into its throw for rifle work but still gives enough spill that it works great indoors as well. Hence why it is my duty rifle light to go along with my Razor on top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPB8COBBxHE
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    That's my next light.
    Quote Originally Posted by contax_shooter View Post

Big fan of the Modlite OKW light, it whoops the M600DF in every aspect which I also own. I don't have comparison photos, but there are plenty good ones available on the net. P&S recently released a comparison video on youtube and brings the lights out to about 60 yards.

I got my Modlite OKW this past weekend and holy **** it is off the charts badass. That video really does not do it justice. If you are a rural LEO this is the light for you, no joke. I was able to see clearly out to 200 yards with it no problem. It easily over powered all lights we had on hand including the SF DF by a wide margin, everyone that saw it was blown away. I'd like to see a little more spill for up close work, then it would be perfect, but even without it is still manageable. This thing practically recoils when you turn it on and must just parboil eyeballs. I never thought I'd hang anything other than a SF off my weapons but I'm here to tell you Modlite is the real deal, if you can swing the price tag it definitely worth a look.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I got my Modlite OKW this past weekend and holy **** it is off the charts badass. That video really does not do it justice. If you are a rural LEO this is the light for you, no joke. I was able to see clearly out to 200 yards with it no problem. It easily over powered all lights we had on hand including the SF DF by a wide margin, everyone that saw it was blown away. I'd like to see a little more spill for up close work, then it would be perfect, but even without it is still manageable. This thing practically recoils when you turn it on and must just parboil eyeballs. I never thought I'd hang anything other than a SF off my weapons but I'm here to tell you Modlite is the real deal, if you can swing the price tag it definitely worth a look.
    I’ve got a Marine buddy that has been trying to convince me that one of those will change my life like powerball.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Modlite OKW is rated at 69,000 candela. That's very nice compared to the Surefire options and snuffs the hell out of them....but $330 IMHO is ridiculous. If you can throw money around like that for a WL, more power to you, I just think there are cheaper alternatives that will outperform even the OKW.

I get it though. It's hard to change ways sometimes.

I wish I could get a modern Surefire, Malkoff, and OKW to do a side by side test compared to other lights under controlled conditions (camera shutter settings all the same) and post some beamshots. This would be interesting.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’ve got a Marine buddy that has been trying to convince me that one of those will change my life like powerball.
    LOL, I don't know about all that, but it will most certainly up your illumination game.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    That's very nice compared to the Surefire options and snuffs the hell out of them....but $330 IMHO is ridiculous. If you can throw money around like that for a WL, more power to you, I just think there are cheaper alternatives that will outperform even the OKW.

I get it though. It's hard to change ways sometimes.
    It is a steep price tag as mentioned above, there are definitely cheaper alternatives, but nothing, at least that I'm aware of, in the hand held/WML arena will out perform it, not even close.

Don't have a problem with change, but not for the sake of change. That fact is moving from Surefire to Modlite is a change and in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.

I wish I could get a modern Surefire, Malkoff, and OKW to do a side by side test compared to other lights under controlled conditions (camera shutter settings all the same) and post some beamshots. This would be interesting.
    Have you watch the P&S video linked above? We did our own comparison with those lights and more, the OKW blows them all away.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I have looked into this problem or range for awhile. The 69,000 candela for the Modlite OKW is unique at least for weapon lights. In videos it's throw is also unique. But the price rules it out for me.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    BTW, they do offer a military/first responder discount to help lessen the bite. I bought the OKW-18350 Light Package w/o tailcap, the price was $293 with shipping.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is a steep price tag as mentioned above, there are definitely cheaper alternatives, but nothing, at least that I'm aware of, in the hand held/WML arena will out perform it, not even close.

Don't have a problem with change, but not for the sake of change. That fact is moving from Surefire to Modlite is a change and in the right direction as far as I'm concerned.
    See Mr. G and G's review https://youtu.be/f4x460v3bec

It is rated at 78400 candela and has been independently tested to exceed that number. I know there isn't a track record, but the Modlite is in the same boat. There are however numerous torture tests to prove it's durability. Some are pretty ridiculous. The best thing is it's $130.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    See Mr. G and G's review https://youtu.be/f4x460v3bec

It is rated at 78400 candela and has been independently tested to exceed that number. I know there isn't a track record, but the Modlite is in the same boat. There are however numerous torture tests to prove it's durability. Some are pretty ridiculous. The best thing is it's $130.
    I've see that light/review. A couple things came to mind the first time I saw it which ruled it out for me, I don't want multiple modes on my WML and I don't care at all for that magnetic tape switch setup. And now that I the Modlight in hand by comparison that light is nothing short of massive. The OKW with 18350 body has same over all length as a SF M300 Scout with a slightly fatter body and head. The mounting is similar Arisaka's, a cleaned up SF Scout configuration. I don't have an Olight for a weight comparison, but it looks pretty heavy to me and weight is not something I want hanging on the front of my carbine. I have no clue how the 78400 vs 69,000 candela would translate in real world application, but in truth I'd be happy to sacrifice a little throw for little spill. Yep it's more double the cost, for my use it appears more than double the light.

I have been using Surefire lights since the day of 6p incandescents, after too easily killing a couple Streamlights and others I swore I'd never buy anything but Surefire for serious use lights. Last year I decided I it was past time to upgrade my early gen SF M300 & M600 Scouts so I pick up a SF M600DF, great light, was all set to pick a second one when a I ran into Modlite. After some additional research I went for it and so far pleased with that decision. Time will tell if it will hold up like my SF's but it reeks of quality and feels/seems very solid, the machining is exquisite.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 09-24-19 at 16:54.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast