Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm Subgun Viable for Home Defense?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexodus View Post
    The idea that a civil suit will go against you if using a scary SBR with silencer still applies for a 9mm sub gun. The average person will see any “tactical” gun as a man killer. If you are concerned about this, then you better stick to a pistol or wood stock shotgun.

9mm is fine for home defense. But my honest opinion is a good shotgun that you could easily point and shoot without worrying about the loss of fine motor skills is best for the LARGE majority. Unless you are some nerves of steel badass.

*Edit* I have a 5.56 pistol beside my bed for home defense, but I am in law enforcement and train/shoot often. If I were married and my wife had to possibly defend our home, it would be a shotgun.
    I was tracking 'till then...
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I was tracking 'till then...
    Most of the forum members here don’t fit into the “large majority”. I respect everyone’s opinions, I’m just telling you what my personal experience is. Ymmv

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Most of the forum members here don’t fit into the “large majority”. I respect everyone’s opinions, I’m just telling you what my personal experience is. Ymmv
    I'm not an SME on the topic, but I'm unclear why a shotgun is easy to point and shoot "without worrying about the loss of fine motor skills" compared to an AR, and as you can see from SME comments, the whole fine motor skill aspect in this context seems to be downplayed in a big way.

Telling Iraqgunz, a guy who has some BTDT on top of his BTDT, to get out of his box, is lol worthy.

Welcome to the forums
    Last edited by WillBrink; 07-04-18 at 13:29.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I’m glad you saw that one time, but it doesn’t make fine motor skills nonsense. I don’t even know what to say to that comment. If we are basing things on anecdotal evidence, I have seen LEO qualifying with shotguns and ARs for years with MANY more induced AR malfunctions.

It’s all just opinion anyway. My opinion is that a shotgun is better in the hands of the majority of people (not everyone).

And I just saw your other comment about hearing. You are giving some bad info today brother. Do you know how many times police he called to scenes due to people hearing gunshots? Some of you guys need to get out of the boxes you’ve built.
    If "fine motor skills" were a thing why aren't fighter pilots constantly falling out of the sky?

I have witnessed a few shootings in urban areas with no police showing up.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I'm not an SME on the topic, but I'm unclear why a shotgun is easy to point and shoot "without worrying about the loss of fine motor skills" compared to an AR, and as you can see from SME comments, the whole fine motor skill aspect in this context seems to be downplayed in a big way.

Telling Iraqgunz, a guy who has some BTDT on top of his BTDT, to get out of his box, is lol worthy.

Welcome to the forums
    I’ve been on this forum a long time. I respect Iraqgunz, that doesn’t mean everything he says has to be agreed with. I’m not an expert, but I do work in the field and officers respond to “neighbors” reports of gunfire often. Saying otherwise is incorrect (or at least it’s different from other parts of the country)

We are talking about weapon manipulation. We are not talking about training units or professionals, I have clearly said multiple times now the “large majority”. That includes soccer moms, people that have hardly ever been around guns, people that get nervous to even hold one. When manipulating an AR vs a shotgun, one is easier than the other IMO. And that’s based off of qualifiers with guys that carry them every day, much less the people I listed above. That doesn’t apply to you, Iraqgunz, myself, or most other people on this forum. But if I’m suggesting a home defense weapon to the average person, it’s going to be a Woodstock non tactical shotgun. Thanks for the welcome

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    If "fine motor skills" were a thing why aren't fighter pilots constantly falling out of the sky?

Point made...
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    I don’t understand the logic behind saying PCC are not appropriate for Home defense but pistols are. They fire the same ammo but the PCC carries more, is easier to shoot than a pistol and can be used by a greater range of people.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Before everyone gets in a $&@ contest, go back and read the last page again. The discussion of sound had to do with a suppressed weapon firing pistol rounds. So DarkTemplars was concerned that his neighbor may not call the cops, from not recognizing (or hearing) the sound. And IG noted that it is sometimes difficult to know the exact location of the shots fired based on sound, which is absolutely true. I don’t think anyone was saying anything too crazy.
    Last edited by 1168; 07-04-18 at 14:46. Reason: Specificity

Feedback Score
    9mm is fine for home defense. But my honest opinion is a good shotgun that you could easily point and shoot without worrying about the loss of fine motor skills is best for the LARGE majority. Unless you are some nerves of steel badass.
    If you had loss of fine motor skills, why would a shotgun be any better? You need fine motor skills to rack a pump, to hold a firearm, to pull a trigger, etc.

If you're using your fingers, wrists, hands, etc., you're using fine motor skills. In that regard, shotguns, semi or pump, are going to require just as much, if not more, fine motor skills as a rifle/PCC/etc.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    I’ve been on this forum a long time. I respect Iraqgunz, that doesn’t mean everything he says has to be agreed with. I’m not an expert, but I do work in the field and officers respond to “neighbors” reports of gunfire often. Saying otherwise is incorrect (or at least it’s different from other parts of the country)

We are talking about weapon manipulation. We are not talking about training units or professionals, I have clearly said multiple times now the “large majority”. That includes soccer moms, people that have hardly ever been around guns, people that get nervous to even hold one. When manipulating an AR vs a shotgun, one is easier than the other IMO. And that’s based off of qualifiers with guys that carry them every day, much less the people I listed above. That doesn’t apply to you, Iraqgunz, myself, or most other people on this forum. But if I’m suggesting a home defense weapon to the average person, it’s going to be a Woodstock non tactical shotgun. Thanks for the welcome
    How is a heavier gun with more recoil, and less rounds ready to go easier for inexperienced people?
    If its a pump, now you have to rack it between shots instead of pulling the trigger.

On a side note, im assuming OP will practice with his gun.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast