Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with an AR, what AR15 pattern caliber? (Update- Rifle complete, Post #29)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve had good results with Barnes 120 gr TSX’s and, to a lesser extent, 120 gr TTSX’s and IMR 8208 XBR in 6.5 Grendel. 3/4 MOA 5-shot groups at 2475 FPS out of a 18” barrel. These should be good for a smaller deer species out to moderate range.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    6.5Grendel it is...

I bought an 18” ARP barrel and all the components to complete the upper today. Now time to buy dies and bullets.
    Thanks guys. -Geo
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for letting us know your decision. ARP barrels seem to be highly regarded.

Feedback Score
    I have heard really good things about arp barrels. Toolcraft offers a quality BCG for great price if you haven't picked one up yet

Since this is a hunting rig you will probably want a better than milspec trigger. Larue MBT is only $87 through Christmas and is an awesome trigger. Very similar in feel to Geiselle SSA for a fraction of the cost

Feedback Score
    I have used 5.56 on about 5 hogs over the past few years. I have a had great success with bonded and monolithic copper ammunition. All shots were within 100 yards...shot placement was either at the base of the ear or at the crease right behind the elbow on quartering away shots.

As long as you use appropriate ammunition and take well placed shots within the effective range on your caliber of choice, all of the calibers mentioned here will be effective on medium sized game.

For long range mule deer hunting the 6.5 grendel would be a decent choice. It holds 1000 ft lbs of energy out to 300 yards.
    Last edited by markderp; 10-13-18 at 14:21.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markderp View Post
    I have used 5.56 on about 5 hogs over the past few years. I have a had great success with bonded and monolithic copper ammunition. All shots were within 100 yards...shot placement was either at the base of the ear or at the crease right behind the elbow on quartering away shots.

As long as you use appropriate ammunition and take well placed shots within the effective range on your caliber of choice, all of the calibers mentioned here will be effective on medium sized game.

For long range mule deer hunting the 6.5 grendel would be a decent choice. It holds 1000 ft lbs of energy out to 300 yards.
    Yup if you can put it where yer aimin doesn't really matter at those distances. have not had time to hunt this summer, but in a 6 week stretch of may june 41 hogs with ak round a supposedly inferior hunting caliber in many circles. largest was 310 lbs and longest 191 yards recovered every hog. can't wait til bow is over so i can start thermal patrol again.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 10-15-18 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    150gr 300blk is ballistically a 30-30 with less drop. packs a good punch out to 400, which is the distance a friend proved to me, and my wallet, was well within the 1 shot and drop range for 300blk. If you hand load 300blk you can make the 150gr hornady RN ammo work in it and have a pretty nice 30-30 equivalent autoloader with less recoil brush gun
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatchoslav View Post
    Yup if you can put it where yer aimin doesn't really matter at those distances. have not had time to hunt this summer, but in a 6 week stretch of may june 41 hogs with ak round a supposedly inferior hunting caliber in many circles. largest was 310 lbs and longest 191 yards recovered every hog. can't wait til bow is over so i can start thermal patrol again.

Yup, doesn't really matter. What load are you using? Soft point?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markderp View Post
    Yup, doesn't really matter. What load are you using? Soft point?
    Yup Wolf 125 SP. The HP flavor works great too bought some on the super cheap for range steel and had half a mag left one night b/f we went to thermal some hogs couldn't have been 20 minutes later I was standing over 2 fat sows drt first one head second double lung

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassIIIGunsmith View Post
    150gr 300blk is ballistically a 30-30 with less drop. packs a good punch out to 400, which is the distance a friend proved to me, and my wallet, was well within the 1 shot and drop range for 300blk. If you hand load 300blk you can make the 150gr hornady RN ammo work in it and have a pretty nice 30-30 equivalent autoloader with less recoil brush gun
    I've never seen a 300blk get within 200fps of a 30-30 with the same length barrel and same weight bullet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast