Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele short stroking????

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The failure to eject due to extraction malfunction is NOT due to ammo, mags or short stroking. It's due to a bad extractor spring.

When a fired round and a live round are jammed in the action, it's because the extractor didn't hold the fired round.

Replace the extractor spring before troubleshooting for short stroking. Use a Colt spring.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The failure to eject due to extraction malfunction is NOT due to ammo, mags or short stroking. It's due to a bad extractor spring.

When a fired round and a live round are jammed in the action, it's because the extractor didn't hold the fired round.

Replace the extractor spring before troubleshooting for short stroking. Use a Colt spring.
    Is that what’s happening? I honestly couldn’t tell what he was on about.

Feedback Score
    Colt spring is ordered and should be here within 5-7days. Meanwhile I’ll run different kinds of testing, by putting a DD bolt into geissele

What’s happening is now after I’d clean the AR…. 1st shot in the chamber and fired and it cycled the 2nd round—-> fired, it would ejected the 2nd round BUT 3 rd would pinned on the top of chamber and pressed by the bolt, same time the 4th round is jammed underneath the 3rd!!! Only way I can clear out the messed is to released mag and pull the charging handle or use my fingers to removed the jammed rounds…. Does it make any sense

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If the DD bolt fixes the issue, then MistWolf is almost certainly correct that the extractor spring is the problem.

Feedback Score
    i'll wait til PNW rain storms goes away.

Feedback Score
    Based on his last response the first and second round both are ejecting (which would mean this is not an extraction issue) and he is getting a double feed on round 3 with round 4. At least as far as I can tell.

Feedback Score
    YesÂ… thatÂ’s correct. My thought is this. Is it possible that 1st &2nd rounds fired and cycled out, during that time, could cause the over gassing out??

Or mag feeding issue??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Based on his last response the first and second round both are ejecting (which would mean this is not an extraction issue) and he is getting a double feed on round 3 with round 4. At least as far as I can tell.
    First, the number of rounds fired before the malfunction is irrelevant. This malfunction is intermittent which means it doesn't manifest 100% of the time. What is relevant is the malfunction itself. This malfunction is caused by an extraction issue.

Second, the malfunction isn't a double feed. A double feed is when two live rounds pop out of the magazine. Double feeds are caused by an out of spec mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamessdp115 View Post
    Yes… that’s correct. My thought is this. Is it possible that 1st &2nd rounds fired and cycled out, during that time, could cause the over gassing out??
    Critical thinking time- How could the first two rounds cause over gassing of the third? The gas in the system doesn't blow down instantly but it does blow down fast enough there will be little to no residual pressure in the system before the shooter can trigger the next shot. If the residual gas could cause overgassing, why isn't it a problem in full auto ARs?

Next, even if the AR was over gassed, it wouldn't cause the extractor to lose control of the empty unless the extractor is worn or the spring is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamessdp115 View Post
    Or mag feeding issue??
    Don't start second guessing or over thinking the problem. That leads to time wasting and down unproductive rabbit holes.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 09-19-21 at 17:54.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    First, the number of rounds fired before the malfunction is irrelevant. This malfunction is intermittent which means it doesn't manifest 100% of the time. What is relevant is the malfunction itself. This malfunction is caused by an extraction issue.

Second, the malfunction isn't a double feed. A double feed is when two live rounds pop out of the magazine. Double feeds are caused by an out of spec mag.
    Read what he said again. He said that rounds three and four both come out of the mag at the same time and round three is blocked from chambering by round 4. I agree, which round the failure occurs on is irrelevant, but from what I can surmise from his albeit poorly formed explanation (and he agreed with me) this is what is occurring. Now, that being said, I am certainly not planting my flag on this hill mostly because of a lack of a clear explanation from the OP as to what is really happening. We are all guessing at this point.

Feedback Score
    Mistwolf is correct…. It’s bold ejector spring issue!!
    Today, I went out and shots some more. I’d bought new mags; pro mag, MFT, Hexmag, DD. New ammos; wolf/55g/fmj and IMI/55g/fmj and original ammo(pu 2.0)?can’t read the ammo print/55g
    Just to proof is not the mag or ammos or over gassing/under gassing or buffer/buffer spring issues.
    On the 1st test, I used my DDm4 V7 on different types of combinations….5rounds each set…. NO issues, it would fired/cycled and bolt locked on last rounds!!
    On the 2nd test, I used same set up on Geissele… again the malfunction happened as earlier. This is exactly what “MistWolf” said the malfunctioning is intermittently.
    Finally, I removed the DD BCG and replaced into Geissele and used 3 different types of ammos with 5 different types of mags combinations…. NO issues; fired, cycled and locked the bolt on the last round.
    I contacted the geissele tech person… they want me to ship the BCG and they look at it and maybe they will send me a replacement part.

Thanks

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast