Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The importance of owning a precision capable rifle?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    You know- those warm fuzzies you get smelling the burnt powder at the range, or walking into a gun shop?
    You Sir, are a poet. Love that, I think that sums it all up so well. To add to that, the smell of something like Hoppes. I don't use that anymore but I still remember that from when I first got into shooting, and that always brings back the "warm fuzzies".

Feedback Score
    I think its all dependent on where you live. In my area there is vast openness and having a little magnification helps with target ID. Technically I use my "sniper" weapon as a varmint gun and for matches. I prefer the styling of my "MK12 MOD 0" over a wood and blued varmint gun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by williamTkilla View Post
    I prefer the styling of my "MK12 MOD 0" over a wood and blued varmint gun.
    Many would consider your statement to be heresy, but I fully agree with it. Me too!
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So, with the better 1-4/6x scopes you really dont loose anything (personally anyways) at close ranges and have a serious advantage if range ever came into play. Unless you find yourself slower with one.... I can't imagine not having one. At the most recent class I attended, the magnification let me smoke the rds users when the shooting exceeded 50 yards. Would this translate real world? dunno.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shoulderthinggoesup; 04-11-12 at 14:36.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Mcarthy
    I actually don't know what a barrel shroud is- I believe it's the shoulder thing that goes up
    Quote Originally Posted by Serialmonagamist
    There's no need to shoot a bear over a bluff charge, for the same reason you don't shoot every douchebag you see in a Tapout shirt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Six Actual View Post
    I suppose what I'm saying is use a solid rifle, with good ammo, quality sight systems (read that as irons and/or optics), and most importantly, TRAINING. In the end, it's your choice regarding what you want to use, and what you want to shoot. You can go through every possible scenario you can think of, and no set up is going to work in all of them.

YMMV, that's all I got.
    This. Well said.

Feedback Score
    Many years ago, in Viet Nam, I was a sniper in a rifle platoon. One night an enemy sniper started shooting at us. I was able to locate his position, sight in on him with my scoped rifle and fire at him. He fired a round and I fired right back at him. A number of us heard my bullet hit home. No more rifle fire came from that guy or his position. Later on, about 2 weeks later, the intelligence guys reported that my round had hit the enemy sniper in the head and ended his days "as a glorious communist soldier." If I remember right, I estimated the distance of my shot to be under 200 meters to the target but it was done in low light as the sun was setting behind some mountains. I learned that evening that one well-placed round, one precise shot that strikes home is a very good thing. That is one of the reasons I always encourage people to consider getting some sort of scope or red dot sight mounted on their rifles. It can save a life in the proper situation. Maybe even yours.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It's straight forward experience like this that is sometimes necessary to remind us of certain things.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caelumatra View Post
    Well, I know this is a military application so its not exactly the answer you want, but when we were issued ACOGs in the Marine Corps they told us it was to get a better view of possible IED's.

And you're asking a hard question anyway.

Which shooting situations occur that a regular schmo (who cant carry an ar15 everyday) would need his AR15?

These things we do are for hobby. I know you're not criticizing and I'm not criticizing in return. But hopefully, I'll never use my ar15 in CONUS. Seriously. If I need to...the country is in a bad place. So having an ar15 is just like having a NIghtforce on it.
    Whats the point? (self defense not withstanding of course)

Well, whats the point of golf?
    Why titanium drivers instead of cheap walmart kind? You're never going to be a pro...why bother? You're just playing at being a pro anyway.

Because its fun and we can. That's why

Edit:
    Oh and some people hunt for food. I hope to do that this year for the first time
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THAT!

Feedback Score
    funny discussion.

a long range rifle is plain and simple an offensive weapon. I make NO apologies for it and treat is and train with it as such. I wont pretend it's some defensive personal protection weapon any more than I pretend my carbine or battle rifles are such.

Our ability to project force over distance is a MAJOR part of our tool kit that protects us against tyranny. Creating fear in those who would take from you IS a valid and required part of being an American. If you lack the means and ability to project force, then you are not doing your part standing on the line being "the consequence" of bad behavior.

So, YES... a long range precision rig IS a needed part of your arsenal, as is the training and knowledge to use it effectively. If you are not a threat to tyrants then that just places a larger burden on those of us who are.
    Last edited by Jack-O; 05-01-12 at 18:52.
    My capacity for self deception is exceeded only by yours.

Feedback Score
    I think it's rather naive, given the disgraceful situation the country is already in and getting more so each year, to think that there will always be no practical use for quality rifles of whatever type. And, of course, that's exactly what the Second Amendment is there for in the first place.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast