Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: RISE OF SKYWALKER speculation discussion (no bitching, if you don't like SW, go away)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I am still a little confused, though. I thought ROTJ was the end of the Empire?
    Gosh dude, I thought I’d been out of things for a while!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    But really, I think it was Zahn but may have been someone else who worked to explain that the reason in the Expanded Universe canon the empire seemed to fall apart so quickly: Palestine was actually using the force to coordinate his forces and hold everything together.
    I didn’t watch the Rebels series, but I think they continued the story after Endor (?) and didn’t take that path in the New Canon.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am thoroughly impressed with the plot line that FireFly came up with. I’d pay to see some of that at the theaters!
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I am thoroughly impressed with the plot line that FireFly came up with. I’d pay to see some of that at the theaters!
    I wouldn’t get to excited.

Sadly I’m sure the plot would get riddled with anime and trannies.

Death Star reactor bursts would take in an entirely new meaning to be certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post

Thankfully, I’m sure the plot would get riddled with anime and trannies, punk rock, Vietnam War aesthetics, bikini armor, giant robots, and CGI de-aged Phoebe Cates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to watch your iPhone autocorrect, sir. It may confuse people.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Do ya one better, Fly: The Resistance gets its own DS, does a tit-for-tat "you destroyed our capital now we destroy yours" and a long Galactic Cold War settles in until everybody realizes "ya know what, this shit ain't worth it and there are bigger threats out in the Unknown." Be cool if they somehow managed to bring Thrawn in as the guy who has the epiphany and brokers a deal, since he was the smartest guy on the Imp roster.
    The First Order doesn't have a capital. Or rather, it didn't. The giant star destroyer that got toasted toward the end of The Last Jedi was the de facto capital of the First Order.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    A Galactic Cold War would be too much like peace.
    From Jakku to the destruction of Hosnian Prime, there was a Galactic Cold War. There was also a cold war in the old EU between the Sith Empire and the (old) Republic, thousands of years before the destruction of the first Death Star. Neither of these periods were especially peaceful.

I see the SW universe as having achieved eons ago what Star Trek deems their continuing mission.

All that exists has been discovered. Its a huge, miscegnated world filled with unironic pride and prejudice.

Because there is no mystery, people fight.
    Your vision is skewed: About a third of the galaxy the Star Wars universe takes place in is called, "the Unknown Regions." The Unknown Regions grow and shrink in size as people explore it, establish settlements, settlements are abandoned, and so forth. So there's lots of stuff out there that goes back millennia or millions of years, as a result of exploration, lost exploration, re-discovery, &c.

Palpatine expended a significant amount of effort exploring the Unknown Regions, while keeping that exploration secret, mostly looking for Dark Side secrets dating back thousands of years; but also establishing new testing grounds and secret factories to develop new weapons. The First Order was able to grow as strong as it was because so much of its military-industrial base was hidden from the New Republic by simply being located in places where no one knew they could go - in the Unknown Regions, where the Empire had built their hidden bases and testing grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    I am still a little confused, though. I thought ROTJ was the end of the Empire?
    It was, pretty much, the end of the Empire. The Empire had one last huzzah, at the Battle of Jakku, where the remnants of the Empire tried to rally against the New Republic and establish some level of legitimacy for themselves, but the New Republic Navy was able to effectively trap and destroy the vast majority of the remaining Imperial Navy and shatter the hopes of Imperial sympathizers for decades (until the First Order, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    But really, I think it was Zahn but may have been someone else who worked to explain that the reason in the Expanded Universe canon the empire seemed to fall apart so quickly: Palestine was actually using the force to coordinate his forces and hold everything together.
    I didn’t watch the Rebels series, but I think they continued the story after Endor (?) and didn’t take that path in the New Canon.
    Rebels ended right before the beginning of Rogue One and A New Hope.

ETA: There was about five minutes at the end of the series where they jumped to after the Battle of Endor to show the fates of the protagonists who had survived to the end of the series, at least as of the end of RotJ.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 09-09-19 at 14:54.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Unknown Regions are more like the Periphery to the Inner Sphere though.

Like people aren’t looking for more people to be diverse with. They are looking for places to hide from Rebel Scum.

I just like Star Wars because it is still cool to be antisocial and hateful(in certain circles even encouraged) whereas Star Trek is all about diversity being our strength and not believing in God. And the beauty of Star Wars is that I can make money running space heroin and guns for arming Right Wing Death Squads loyal to Sith and spend my ill gotten gains on guns, a faster ship, sex slaves in bikini armor, and like nobody cares. Also if your religious faith is strong enough you can choke people out with the Force.

You just can’t DO that in Star Trek because The Man (Federation) would be all up in your way.

Also Klingons are gay, Vulcans are gay, and Dust Buster stun guns are gay.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The Unknown Regions are more like the Periphery to the Inner Sphere though.

Like people aren’t looking for more people to be diverse with. They are looking for places to hide from Rebel Scum.

I just like Star Wars because it is still cool to be antisocial and hateful(in certain circles even encouraged) whereas Star Trek is all about diversity being our strength and not believing in God. And the beauty of Star Wars is that I can make money running space heroin and guns for arming Right Wing Death Squads loyal to Sith and spend my ill gotten gains on guns, a faster ship, sex slaves in bikini armor, and like nobody cares. Also if your religious faith is strong enough you can choke people out with the Force.

You just can’t DO that in Star Trek because The Man (Federation) would be all up in your way.

Also Klingons are gay, Vulcans are gay, and Dust Buster stun guns are gay.
    TBH, it seems like your Star Trek knowledge is pretty lacking.

I'd go into specifics, but I don't think you'd care. Suffice to say that there are people who make money running space heroin and guns for arming right wing death squads and spend their ill-gotten gains on guns, making their ships go faster, and sex slaves in bikini armor. And the exact same sorts of people will care, because there are all sorts of organized crime syndicates in both and there are governments that oppose those organized crime syndicates.

The fact is that any story told in Star Wars could probably be told in Star Trek and any story in Star Wars could probably be told in Star Trek.

And, yes, an Imperial Sector Ranger will get all up in your grill about you running guns to rebels every bit as much as Starfleet will get up in your grill about you running guns to the maquis. You don't see it in Star Wars because that's not (usually) the story they're trying to tell. (That and there's something like 29 seasons of one-hour live-action Star Trek TV shows and 13 live-action movies, compared to Star Wars's 11 seasons of half-hour animated TV shows and 11 live-action movies, so Star Wars hasn't exactly had the chance to tell them, either.)

ETA: The Periphery isn't very well explored. And the Unknown Regions are less accessible than the Periphery is. Exploring the Unknown Regions is more like trying to pass through the Galactic barrier in Star Trek. Or trying to find the Great Northwest Passage in the 16th Century.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 09-09-19 at 15:23.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’m protected. I work for Sheev Palpatine. Palpatine runs the Senate. The Senate runs the Jedi. SHEEV PALPATINE!

Also I’ve never run guns to Rebels. I only arm Imperial loyalists who are trying to take down the old monarchs. Lots of Contras are using guns I got that fell off a truck.

You know me better than that.

#AlderaanWasATerroristPlanet
    #JediWereTraitors
    #VaderDidNothingWrong

I mean a lot of people have their little ideas about the Clone Wars. I wish I could believe that but I WAS THERE. I wasn’t sitting at home, listening to the goddamned Beatles albums, smoking dope, and wearing a headband. THERE I WAS ON GEONOSIS. SLUGGING IT OUT WITH CHARLIE WITH GUNS THAT DIDNT WORK!

OOOOH! OOOH! OOOOH!

And as a matter of fact I DO hate sand.
    Last edited by Firefly; 09-09-19 at 15:32.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast