Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for someone who isn't a "serious shooter."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I bought an AR in 2015 because of the threat of civil unrest and having to act now or perhaps losing my ability to ever buy one. I need a general, all around firearm. Pistols are for 6 ft., I need at least 60 yards. I shoot twice a month and have a specific goal when I shoot---something I am working on. Classes? Where? Who will pay for this? Screw that . Show me what can't be learned on youtube and practiced in person? I don't need fancy optics although I did buy them. Most likely, my first deployment will be in my basement or around the property after dark. Do you think I am going to be adjusting a sling or finding distance down a scope as my first move? I am not a soldier or operator and I don't want to be one. I simply work on shooting fundamentals in as many practical positions as my environment dictates and on movement.
    While I agree that you can learn a ton on your own, instruction is never, EVER a bad idea.

I learned more in my "basic 2" handgun course at my local range than hundreds of hours watching youtube. This is also while having nearly 9k rounds through my Glock 19, I still feel like I am always learning, and have room to grow.

I also said to myself last range trip, that I really need to invest in carbine courses. It will at the minimum give you a fantastic base to build off of.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    You'd probably find that about 9 out of 10 cops really couldn't care less about their guns. That's not to say that most cops are anti-gun or wish they could work unarmed like British Bobbies. Simply that they don't give their gun, or any of their gear, much thought until they have to use it. I can say with almost absolute certainty, based on personal experience as a police officer, that your average civilian gun enthusiast spends probably 10 times the amount of time and ammo on the range every year that your average LEO does. Where your average cop has an advantage is that he at least had formal training in the academy. Your average enthusiast likely taught himself to shoot and is fraught with bad habits that he's too stubborn to admit he has. But for a trained civilian who has actually attended classes and practices continually, I can guarantee they are more proficient shooters than most cops.

I always told people that cops were the last people to ask firearms advice (other than, you know, liberal politicians). Even among the ones who are into guns, most aren't any better informed than your average Joe Blow gun store customer. When it comes to getting firearms advice, I always find that the best people to ask are reputable civilian trainers, because it's their mission to know gear, techniques, and laws. For cops, the gun makes up less than 1% of their job.
    9 out of 10 is a stretch.. Probably more like 1 or less out of 100. Years ago our county sheriff issued an unofficial directive to his officers... Do not shoot in an organized competition that didn't have a LEO division. It didn't look good when 70-80% of the shooters out shot the cops. I didn't fault him for his decision. Evidently there is more to being a cop than knowing how to shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    While I agree that you can learn a ton on your own, instruction is never, EVER a bad idea.

I learned more in my "basic 2" handgun course at my local range than hundreds of hours watching youtube. This is also while having nearly 9k rounds through my Glock 19, I still feel like I am always learning, and have room to grow.

I also said to myself last range trip, that I really need to invest in carbine courses. It will at the minimum give you a fantastic base to build off of.
    It is impossible to argue that instruction from someone who knows more than I do is a bad thing. I am isolated and instruction is expensive. I would love to take a week, drive up to Thunder Ranch, and lay down 3K for a course. This is just out of reach for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post

I learned myself. I recommend classes now for new shooters.
    I never used to until I realized:
    1. A lot of people are not analytical enough to really help themselves efficiently.
    2. A good class will skip hundreds of hours and thousands of rounds on BS you could have dealt with - or at least learn how right off the bat. But you need a great instructor.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    You did your buddy a disservice, were you trying to talk him out of getting an AR? Any non gun guy looking to get into the game needs to be steered to a decent entry level AR, a decent budget RDS, and a few good mags. The rest will come later naturally or if not he will still have a serviceable rifle.
    This is basically what I did with a friend who likes to shoot a little but wasnt a real gun guy. He went a head and bought an AR on his own, one I wouldnt have recommended, but I didnt say anything...didnt want to dampen his budding enthusiasm. Steered him to a PA budget RDS to get him started and some good 10 rounders (CA.). I think I'm going to gift him some even better mags if you know what I mean. He's probably got $900 into it all and his rig is just fine with him at this point.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Evidently there is more to being a cop than knowing how to shoot.
    Seriously, a lot more.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is impossible to argue that instruction from someone who knows more than I do is a bad thing. I am isolated and instruction is expensive. I would love to take a week, drive up to Thunder Ranch, and lay down 3K for a course. This is just out of reach for me.
    There are virtually hundreds of good instructors who don't have a name.

Generally, I kind of turned my nose up at NRA Instructors until I retired and felt I needed to maintain instructor credentials, look here and see if something fits you:

https://firearmtraining.nra.org/student-courses/

Another thing you might do is go to a local deputy/patrolman/trooper you know and ask them who is the local guy to go to.

Show up at competitions, ask the RO's.

You can find someone who will be able to st you right, if you look.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Where are you located?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Don't forget - this section of M4C STILL exists!

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...raining-Groups
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ask them what they want. A pistol? A rifle? A shotgun?

If it’s a pistol- M&P or Glock.
    Rifle- 6920 for an AR or a 10/22 for a smaller semi or a 700 for a bolty
    Shotgun- 590 or 870

Some magazines and some ammo. Sling or holster. A good case. A good cleaning kit and bore snake.

Shoot it.

Let them evolve from there naturally, or not, up to them.

Keep it simple.
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 09-11-19 at 00:08.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast