Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've found that in trying to improve my pistol shooting, just firing 50 to 100 rounds every week/every other week or so is more helpful and has helped me improve more than firing several hundred rounds in a session.
    I enjoy shooting pistol much less than I enjoy shooting rifle (Partly because I'm not as good with a handgun I'm sure) and limiting my round count during pistol practice prevents me from getting burnt out or frustrated.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I love shooting pistols but find it sometimes frustrating. I find I have a hard time keeping shots all inside the 5-1/4" 9 ring on a full size FBI silhouette target at 10 yards but can run a plate rack with 6 " plates at the same distance with no problem. I guess it could be the old aim small, shoot small at work.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I've found that in trying to improve my pistol shooting, just firing 50 to 100 rounds every week/every other week or so is more helpful and has helped me improve more than firing several hundred rounds in a session.
    I enjoy shooting pistol much less than I enjoy shooting rifle (Partly because I'm not as good with a handgun I'm sure) and limiting my round count during pistol practice prevents me from getting burnt out or frustrated.
    I just started shooting handguns and had no idea how much I sucked with them. I absolutely would not use one for HD anytime soon after seeing my pistol shooting (lack of) skills.

As soon as I pick up one of my AR’s though, consistent shots on target one after another. Handgun at 10 yards? Barely on paper! Definitely need to practice and I think I will do so as you are. Trying to shoot more often with less rounds each visit rather than once a month with a lot of ammo used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Agreed
    I’ve been doing intense 150rd practice once or twice a week, half hour each time, and have made big improvemnts as well.

I also found my movemnt was shit and started practicing sprints and incorporating into my shooting routine.

Theres a GM i follow on IG (Make Ready) and he was talking about grip, focusing on locking the bottom(pinky) of the wrist and it really helped tracking the rmr and even getting sight on target from the draw more consistent.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-25-18 at 10:12.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Today, I learned that I have a very strong preference for finger grooves on a G19.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I realized that I need to do a lot more shooting in full kit. I can wear it for hours without much issue but the fine motor skills go out the window quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    While doing some tweaking of my sling to accomodate the simple 2 things I want a sling to do, with enough leeway for seasonal layers, I did some snaps on objects with the dot & happened to also alight on a small mirror over a dresser. Canting the gun. Big deal in that carbine's role? Not really, but realized it was an issue in my "discussion" with my ACOG on another gun in getting full field-of-view. Knowing that, a few degrees change made all the difference in the world. Now to ingrain it through repetition.

Also this fine post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I realized that I need to do a lot more shooting in full kit. I can wear it for hours without much issue but the fine motor skills go out the window quickly.
    Walking the property with a simple belt with a couple things on it is one thing; full kit & movement w/shooting will reveal any tweaks needed on the kit, as well as the adjustable nut behind the trigger. The latter is only fixed through me doing the practice; it comes no other way.

Feedback Score
    I'm not rich enough to have nice hunting rifles and nice precision rigs so mine pull double duty. Love my tikka ctr for deer and my SPR comes out for coyote, etc.

I made a decision a while back to start using all my gear more. I don't care if some of it is over kill. It's fun and that's why I use it.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I recently put an RMR on my G19. Ameriglo suppressor sights were also added for co-witness. I learned a couple of things:

1) The RMR greatly improved my accuracy and reminded me that my presentation is often high when pressing out or drawing.

2) and this one is a bigger deal. I shut the RMR off to shoot with the irons and found the all black irons to be easier (FOR ME) to shoot than front sights with dots/tritium/fiber optic. It was interesting to find that all black front sights were easier for me to be accurate with. I shot 2 different dot drills I had been struggling with and they were much easier.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Shot a .45 with irons instead of the Roland Special I've been shooting exclusively for over a year and learned that I've gotten very lazy managing recoil and focusing on the sight instead of target.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast