Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Modernizing the Mk 12 SPR: Recce or Not?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpb1776 View Post
    Interesting setups in the thread I have been looking at 1-6 and 1-8 LPVO's to pair with a red dot on my 16 inch gun, which currently has a 1-4 on it. But this makes me consider something like a Nightforce 2-10 with a red dot as a overall setup for this rifle, also looked at the option of a mounted red dot with the scope in my backpack with quick release mounts on both, you could switch out in a few seconds if needed. I already have a home defense rifle with a red dot so this would be more of a do it all setup
    I used to love the NF 2-10's...had all flavors.

For what we know, now this is a no-man's land of optics; it's limited top end mediocre bottom end give it little argument. Like the NX8, the only thing going for it is the weight/footprint. A Schmidt, Swaro, or Kahles 8x top end gives up NOTHING to a NF NXS 10x top end. If you embrace the piggy-back, why not 3-18x? or 4-20x? or whatever if you can stand the weight.
    As noted, I like the piggyback even on 1-8x's as it frees up a lot and adheres to my 3x rules for carbine optics (there's a couple more if you run NV)

- Have a secondary/backup aiming solution
    - Have at least 1x (primary or secondary) aiming solution that is not battery-dependent
    - Have a close-quarter aiming solution that can be immediately employed (no removing optics or special tools)
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 07-11-21 at 15:53.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    I used to love the NF 2-10's...had all flavors.

For what we know, now this is a no-man's land of optics; it's limited top end mediocre bottom end give it little argument. Like the NX8, the only thing going for it is the weight/footprint. A Schmidt, Swaro, or Kahles 8x top end gives up NOTHING to a NF NXS 10x top end. If you embrace the piggy-back, why not 3-18x? or 4-20x? or whatever if you can stand the weight.
    As noted, I like the piggyback even on 1-8x's as it frees up a lot and adheres to my 3x rules for carbine optics (there's a couple more if you run NV)

- Have a secondary/backup aiming solution
    - Have at least 1x (primary or secondary) aiming solution that is not battery-dependent
    - Have a close-quarter aiming solution that can be immediately employed (no removing optics or special tools)
    Mainly weight and what I can afford I have a MK5 3-18 which is heavier than I want on my 16 inch gun. I am probably going to go with a 1-6 which can get me out there just fine. Agree with the NXS 1-8 I did not care for it mainly the center dot is huge and the eyebox I thought was tight

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpb1776 View Post
    Mainly weight and what I can afford I have a MK5 3-18 which is heavier than I want on my 16 inch gun. I am probably going to go with a 1-6 which can get me out there just fine. Agree with the NXS 1-8 I did not care for it mainly the center dot is huge and the eyebox I thought was tight
    There is a serious market gap between the NXS 2.5-10x42 and the Mk5 3.6-18x44. A 3-12x42 (15-16x is better) that weights less than 1.5lbs (24oz) with a purpose built reticle has a place in the market. The S&B Precision Hunter and Tanget Theta 3-15x50 30mm tube (what was the old Premier Light Tactical) are pretty close but overlooked and require only a few minor adjustments to be close. There's a place for this optic on SPR's, SR25's, and "shorty" precision bolt guns but nobody in the upper tier wants to step up. Much like I'd love to see a 1-4x optic that makes an NX8 look big...the manufacturers don't care.

But I digress...

I just got ahold of a 1-6x24 SAI (same company that owns Elcan and Tangent Theta) and this thing has a lot going for it. It may be a major contender in the $1000-1100 optic range. More to come on that.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 07-12-21 at 13:22.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just got ahold of a 1-6x24 SAI (same company that owns Elcan and Tangent Theta) and this thing has a lot going for it.
    The illuminated portion of the reticle looks pretty thin at 1X in the drawings. How is it really?

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    The illuminated portion of the reticle looks pretty thin at 1X in the drawings. How is it really?

From what I gather so far, the crosshair isn't really intended to be part of the aiming solution on 1x. It certainly can be.
    Today it's a cloudy/rainy/overcast day and when on settings 7, 8, and 9 out of 9, the crosshair is very useable and bright on 1x. It's not dim but it certainly isn't "nuclear" when on 9/9 glassing against the skyline. It will probably be pretty "meh" in full sunlight. Frankly, the crosshair makes things a little messy on 1x.

Using the un-illuminated reticle and the "X" for speed/cqb stuff at 1x is really going to be interesting. It may be awesome, or it may suck balls; I will certainly develop and opinion and share it.

I really, really like the layout for quick, simple distance work.
    I like how all the horizontal stadia are in mils
    I like Trijicon BDC ranging options AND the 30in ranging tree.

The image quality and eye box is impressive. I just barely got it mounted before I had to leave but it's up there to stand with the Razor HD2E and the Kahles.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 07-12-21 at 15:35.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I just went through this myself, updating/modernizing a MK12.

The heart of the rifle is a Douglas SPR 1:8 SS barrel. V Seven upper receiver, V Seven 16.5” Enlightened Rail, Nightforce 2.5-10x24 in an A496 mount. Geissele SSA trigger, Dead Air Keymo flash hider and a SOPMOD stock.

Is it heavy? Yeah, kind of, sitting at 9.75 pounds. It does what I need it to do, it’s accurate, fairly smooth shooting, and it handles heat well.

My next updated rifle will be a RECCE. Almost same setup as above except using a V Seven 16” 1:7 SS barrel.

Good looking smoker, nice.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    BTW, Thanks for the info on the reticules. Part of me is almost thinking about building a .308 to get the range and wind bucking capability when I am ready.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill.

https://learningfromhistory.weebly.com/

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I recently replaced the 18" barrel on my rifle with a 16" Proof Research steel barrel and for $400 I dont think you could find a better barrel. I have not found myself wanting the extra 2" at any point.

Feedback Score
    From what I gather so far, the crosshair isn't really intended to be part of the aiming solution on 1x. It certainly can be.
    Today it's a cloudy/rainy/overcast day and when on settings 7, 8, and 9 out of 9, the crosshair is very useable and bright on 1x. It's not dim but it certainly isn't "nuclear" when on 9/9 glassing against the skyline. It will probably be pretty "meh" in full sunlight. Frankly, the crosshair makes things a little messy on 1x.

Using the un-illuminated reticle and the "X" for speed/cqb stuff at 1x is really going to be interesting. It may be awesome, or it may suck balls; I will certainly develop and opinion and share it.

I really, really like the layout for quick, simple distance work.
    I like how all the horizontal stadia are in mils
    I like Trijicon BDC ranging options AND the 30in ranging tree.

The image quality and eye box is impressive. I just barely got it mounted before I had to leave but it's up there to stand with the Razor HD2E and the Kahles.
    Looking forward to a review and how the reticle does in bright sunlight. Looking at a Trijicon Creedo 1-6 but going to research this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatorangecat View Post
    I have not found myself wanting the extra 2" at any point.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast