Thread: Once-fired factory brass with case head swipes

Feedback Score

Once-fired factory brass with case head swipes

Is is safe to reload once-fired factory loaded brass that has extractor and ejector swipes on the case head?

I’ve found lots of threads on the cause, but the only thing I found regarding if it is safe to reload the brass or not is on Reddit, and I don’t trust anything on there.

Feedback Score
    If your reloading proceedures are good, and your primer pockets are tight, yes they should be fine. You might want to check the fired cases headspace to see how much they have been stretched, but those marks are not necessarily the end of the world for those cases...

YMMV, Sako
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep. The first thing to go is the primer pockets. Like sako said, you could check the headspace on the brass. I can definitely feel "over-stretched" brass on my sizing die.

No danger in it, but you could get a case separation if it was fired in an "long" chamber.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Thank you both for the replies!

Feedback Score
    will not hurt anything at all.

only one caution. If you're trimming brass check the head swipe to make sure there's not a raised burr on the case head.

it may have the brass sit off the trimmer collet rather than seating against it and you may end up over-trimming the brass inadvertently.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wil View Post
    will not hurt anything at all.

only one caution. If you're trimming brass check the head swipe to make sure there's not a raised burr on the case head.

it may have the brass sit off the trimmer collet rather than seating against it and you may end up over-trimming the brass inadvertently.
    Great point, thanks for the advice!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperTwoSix View Post
    Great point, thanks for the advice!
    sometimes when the extractor slides over the case head it'll pull the extractor ring on the brass back and deform it, leaving essentially a burr on the back of the brass. Set that into the case trimmer and the burr holds the case too far forward.

Trim it and it comes up short...............ask me how I know this.........

A simple check is run a finger over the case head when you're handling the brass during resizing.