Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Redi-mag/ Spare mag? Another lesson fron Kyle.

Feedback Score
    If you were going to knowingly and planfully put yourself into a dangerous situation, then I do not see how you do not have a hand full of spare mags on you.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony617 View Post
    My work colleague has the original S&W Sports and it doesn’t even a dust cover on it. He found it cheap thorough an FFL and It works. I gave him a few Magpul G2 magazines and we have split a few cases of ammo.
    Yeah the original Sports lacked the dust cover, the subsequent Sport II series does have it. Kind of a stupid thing to omit in the name of cost-cutting. Although not as weird as Aero leaving the front sling swivel of all things, off of their budget rifle offering.

Feedback Score
    If you can, carry a spare mag, otherwise use what you have. And, I own an old S&W M&P, that maybe 12 or 13 years old. I keep it up on Ranch I own in Montana to drag out whenever I host a “friends and family” shoot ‘n picnic event. I’ve seen the young adults and supervised kids dump mag after mag out of the thing, and, it never has failed to feed or fire. It isn’t a beautiful Colt Defense or LWRC International, but it seems to keep on running. Maybe it’s the Energizer Batteries!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Are we really trying to change things up with our own preparedness based on an event that happened to someone who, from my understanding, had to bum a rifle off a buddy?

Because, yeah, you should have spare magazines. You should also use a quality rifle with a quality optic and - particularly if you’re there to render first aid - a solid two-point sling (you’re more likely to need to render aid, carry someone who is injured, or help fight a fire than to need to rapidly transition from one shoulder to another). You should probably have a handgun in a retention holster, if you’re over 21 or you are over 18 and someone trusts you with a handgun, too.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    Are we really trying to change things up with our own preparedness based on an event that happened to someone who, from my understanding, had to bum a rifle off a buddy?

Because, yeah, you should have spare magazines. You should also use a quality rifle with a quality optic and - particularly if you’re there to render first aid - a solid two-point sling (you’re more likely to need to render aid, carry someone who is injured, or help fight a fire than to need to rapidly transition from one shoulder to another). You should probably have a handgun in a retention holster, if you’re over 21 or you are over 18 and someone trusts you with a handgun, too.
    My thoughts exactly. I see no reason to base procedures off someone who got very lucky.

If I were in those circumstances I'd at minimum have a chest rig with spare mags, preferably a plate carrier.

Like above, my emphasis would be on more medical equipment (obviously this should go without saying, but please stick to the scope of your training in this regard).

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    My trunk rifle has had a redi-mag on it for quite some time. I just figure that that if I ever have to grab it, there is a significant probability that I will only have the ammo that is on the gun. So why not put two mags on it?

I just see it as preparing options for a multitude of possibilities; there are extra mags, but I wanted to have a reasonable option if I could not grab them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Headache View Post
    My trunk rifle has had a redi-mag on it for quite some time. I just figure that that if I ever have to grab it, there is a significant probability that I will only have the ammo that is on the gun. So why not put two mags on it?

I just see it as preparing options for a multitude of possibilities; there are extra mags, but I wanted to have a reasonable option if I could not grab them.
    This is exactly why I made this thread. Yall can say he should have had gear but your average person doesnt. Stick a spare mag in a pocket or use something on the gun.

Most instructors learn lessons from mistakes made and create solutions. We have the perfect instance to take a look at your average non trained gun owner and discuss what he should or should not have done.

We look at history and guys taping mags together to make sure that youve got spare ammo on the gun. Whether it be a coupler, a 7rd cartridge holder on the stock, ect..

Lets keep this discussion rolling
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    This is exactly why I made this thread. Yall can say he should have had gear but your average person doesnt. Stick a spare mag in a pocket or use something on the gun.

Most instructors learn lessons from mistakes made and create solutions. We have the perfect instance to take a look at your average non trained gun owner and discuss what he should or should not have done.

We look at history and guys taping mags together to make sure that youve got spare ammo on the gun. Whether it be a coupler, a 7rd cartridge holder on the stock, ect..

Lets keep this discussion rolling
    I doubt those types of people would be on M4C in the first place.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I doubt those types of people would be on M4C in the first place.
    So why not welcome them? Ive seen several first time Ar owner posts in the last few weeks. People are on here for good advice and to learn.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    So why not welcome them? Ive seen several first time Ar owner posts in the last few weeks. People are on here for good advice and to learn.
    I doubt newbies would want to spend the $$$ on an optimal set up like a war belt/range belt for extra mags. Pockets are another option. Redimag (for me) is the worst option, I dont want more weight and bulk on my gun.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast