Page 85 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast

Thread: Swiss SIG 553 pistols have hit the US market

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot_man View Post
    Yup JDI import 49/51 and agreed on the 553. I might be getting a 553-LB and I'm thinking about just going with a steel lower for it as well.
    It works fine on the 553, but I replaced mine anyway. Call me superficial but the aluminum lower just doesn’t look right.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
    It works fine on the 553, but I replaced mine anyway. Call me superficial but the aluminum lower just doesn’t look right.
    I agree. The Swiss aluminum lower is fine on the 553 and 751, but the combination of a diopter sight 551 upper and aluminum lower has an anachronistic look to it. Analogous to putting a gray Colt M16A1 upper on a current generation M4 lower.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 09-21-19 at 15:11.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    The aluminum lower looks too American. Yes, if you put the US aluminum lower next to a Swiss aluminum one, you can see the difference. But I'm so used to the look of the steel lowers, the Swiss aluminum one just screams, "Exeter" in my mind.

Feedback Score
    Y’all are nitpicking. Just be happy you can buy anything at all. We got all but nothing from the time in between from CCF (Larry G), to Armati. That is a long time. You can buy a 553 almost any way you like - gray steel lower and diopters.
    Last edited by ralfabco; 09-25-19 at 19:07.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralfabco View Post
    Y’all are nitpicking. Just be happy you can buy anything at all. We got all but nothing from the time in between from CCF (Larry G), to Armati. That is a long time. You can buy a 553 almost any way you like - gray steel lower and diopters.
    False, you could get the crappy Exeter Sig 556, with the crappy aluminum lower.

Which is why I bought a steel lower for my Armati 553.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralfabco View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we have Swiss 55x. We can thank CO Gun Sales/Armati for breaking open the floodgates on imports and for Midwest Distributors (and Michaels Machines) for getting LE trade-in 552 and 551 on the commercial market. Without them we would all still be lamenting the lack of Swiss guns.

But, I wish JDI would have done gray and black complete 551s with steel lowers and more discrete import markings. JDI has done a real service in continuing the import of Swiss 55x. That one can order a 553 with their choice of short or long barrel, gray or black finish, steel or aluminum lower, green or black furniture, diopter or pic rail upper - that is truly awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by freeride1 View Post
    False, you could get the crappy Exeter Sig 556, with the crappy aluminum lower.

Which is why I bought a steel lower for my Armati 553.

Ha. Well said.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 09-26-19 at 13:21.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    What about the 55x design makes it so that the upper has to be steel instead of machined aluminum? Hypothetically speaking, if someone wanted to make a next gen rifle based on the 55x design, would it be possible to make it entirely aluminum (for weight saving, as that seems to be all the rage these days)?

My main reason for asking is pure curiosity, as I've always be interested in the SG55x series, and I'm just trying to learn a bit more about their engineering.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    What about the 55x design makes it so that the upper has to be steel instead of machined aluminum? Hypothetically speaking, if someone wanted to make a next gen rifle based on the 55x design, would it be possible to make it entirely aluminum (for weight saving, as that seems to be all the rage these days)?

My main reason for asking is pure curiosity, as I've always be interested in the SG55x series, and I'm just trying to learn a bit more about their engineering.
    Sure it’s possible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    The upper is stamped. It wouldn't be possible to keep it strong enough with the same inside and outside dimensions if it was made out of aluminum.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    The upper is stamped. It wouldn't be possible to keep it strong enough with the same inside and outside dimensions if it was made out of aluminum.
    This is correct. You would end up with a different gun.
    Last edited by freeride1; 09-29-19 at 22:03.

Page 85 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast