Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Gas Block with Picatinny Rail

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee1000 View Post
    I'm replacing the barrel because of the lack of shoulder if I were to cut the barrel down to 14.5.

What do you mean by backwards? I'm open to suggestions
    He probably means that you are creating a problem where there is no problem. A FSB is more robust than a flip-up sight on a railed gas block. As for the barrel, many have had barrel cut down, re-threaded, re-crowned, and new a FH attached. My advice, DO NOT modify the Colt upper. Leave it as is. Since you plan on running a suppressor, use a PRI Gasbuster charging handle. The thing is, you are trying to complicate the issue by changing things that should not be changed. Many carbines run with suppressors and without adjustable gas blocks run just fine.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Clint who?

Thanks
    BRT is Clint.

Feedback Score
    JP Enterprises used to make one, but it looks like it's been discontinued. Maybe you can find someplace that still has old stock? They still make an adjustable FSB, but it's clamp-on. Always out of stock with BCM, but Brownells has it. Other than that, the only adjustable railed gas block I can find is made by Double Star (??).

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod29340.aspx

I have no idea of the quality of this. Of course if you go this route you'd then need to use a gas block height sight, such as one of these.

http://arpartsfinder.com/instock/ind...tby=price-desc

Good luck.
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    I figure it's more repeatable. If the sight is mounted on a handguard and the handguard is bump the front sight might be off. It's only aluminum. Just about every military rifle I can think of has the sight afixed to the barrel.
    This is a non-issue if you get a halfway decent handguard that's not meant to be super lightweight. Many of the service rifles adopted in the last few years have a complete free float handguard with no sight attached to the barrel (New Zealand's LMT, France's HK416, USMC's M27, etc.).
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 11-06-18 at 19:11.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Clamp on FSB blocks are garbage. If the upper doesn't work for your needs, sell it off and get the correct one before you butcher it.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    No, I'm modifying the Colt upper.

I just put a Aimpoint on it so I'm looking for flip up sights.
    If your running a red dot, I would recommend a fixed sights. (But this is a long argument, but I still believe it’s a better set up) If you don’t want to want the FSP, remove it and use a lo-pro gas block and get a quality rail and mount a fixed front sight like a PRI, Daniel Defense, or Troy to your rail and stop worrying.

Your worry about your weapon losing zero because you whacked the rail against something is a little far fetched unless you are using a piece of crap rail and a piece of crap front sight and even the you’d probably have to whack it pretty hard. But no one here will recommend crap to you. So seek advice if you do not know what a good rail is.

How did you come up with that statement? Did you read it somewhere or just deduced that on your own?

I’ll ask if you are aware of just how many of us here and beyond used a fixed sights on the top picatinny rail? There are A LOT. In fact you will find members of M4C who took that exact configuration to Iraq and Afghanistan and killed bad guys, and brought those uppers home and still use them.

You may be rough on your firearms, but if there are 1,000’s of AR’s here and abroad with a rail mounted fixed front sights, I think it’s safe to say that is a good approach to take.

Me personally? I am not a fan of folding sights on RDS/HWS equipped rifles and if your main concern is the sight moving - well I’d bet you money I can get a folding sight attached to a rail section on a GB to move before you would throw a fixed sight on a rail or even more so an FSP out of zero/alignment.

I would suggest you are going down the wrong path with your idea and to be honest with you, I think your idea is not a good idea at all.

I am interested though in how you came to this conclusion about a a folding sight on a GB rail section.

You mentioned your rail is really thin aluminum. What rail do you currently own??
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    If your running a red dot, I would recommend a fixed sights. (But this is a long argument, but I still believe it’s a better set up)
    I'd like to read the argument. Is there a thread on it?
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    If your running a red dot, I would recommend a fixed sights. (But this is a long argument, but I still believe it’s a better set up) If you don’t want to want the FSP, remove it and use a lo-pro gas block and get a quality rail and mount a fixed front sight like a PRI, Daniel Defense, or Troy to your rail and stop worrying.

Your worry about your weapon losing zero because you whacked the rail against something is a little far fetched unless you are using a piece of crap rail and a piece of crap front sight and even the you’d probably have to whack it pretty hard. But no one here will recommend crap to you. So seek advice if you do not know what a good rail is.

How did you come up with that statement? Did you read it somewhere or just deduced that on your own?

I’ll ask if you are aware of just how many of us here and beyond used a fixed sights on the top picatinny rail? There are A LOT. In fact you will find members of M4C who took that exact configuration to Iraq and Afghanistan and killed bad guys, and brought those uppers home and still use them.

You may be rough on your firearms, but if there are 1,000’s of AR’s here and abroad with a rail mounted fixed front sights, I think it’s safe to say that is a good approach to take.

Me personally? I am not a fan of folding sights on RDS/HWS equipped rifles and if your main concern is the sight moving - well I’d bet you money I can get a folding sight attached to a rail section on a GB to move before you would throw a fixed sight on a rail or even more so an FSP out of zero/alignment.

I would suggest you are going down the wrong path with your idea and to be honest with you, I think your idea is not a good idea at all.

I am interested though in how you came to this conclusion about a a folding sight on a GB rail section.

You mentioned your rail is really thin aluminum. What rail do you currently own??
    I came up with it just by looking at it, the steel barrel is going to resist bending over an aluminum rail, I don't think that's even disputable. In addition to the 6720 I have a LWRC M6A2, just by comparing the two the barrel mounted sight looks more stout. Does it need to be that stout, maybe not.

I think you're right on using folding sights so I'm probably going to go with a JP A2 sight that's gas adjustable. It's steel and pinnable.

I did not mention that my rail was thin aluminum. It's actually a Magpul SL.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    I'd like to read the argument. Is there a thread on it?
    There are definitely some threads that have this discussion. I’ll try to find it and post. It may not be titled as such, but I think the last one may be a thread HeruMew created on a build he did and that led into into discussion of fixed sights vs folding sights on a rifle equipped with a CQB optic. That’s the last thread I engaged my belief in and I’ll tell you from the comments, I think I was in the minority, with more guys wanting folding sights with their Aimpoints and EOTechs and MRO’s.

Because they don’t get in the way of looking through the optic.

Yeah. Not my thing, but to each their own. They make some good arguments, I just don’t agree with them. Lol

I’ll try to find some threads and shoot you an PM here on M4C. Don’t want to derail the OP’s thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    I prefer folding sights.
    In reality, i havent seen a difference on a timer fixed vs folding.
    I understand folding sights are less robust than a fixed fsb, but accept that as a compromise for a clear sight picture (for luxury).

Thats why taking a fixed fsb and replacing with a folder for robustness is backwards.

At the end of the day, if you die because your rail bent and threw off your poi so much you cant kill a threat... the gods were against you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast