Thread: Testing bullets on limbs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

We know pistol velocity stretch cavities dont mean anything on most tissues, but they do when they exceed the capability of the mass struck to contain it.

Not a scientist but you know what I mean. A pistol stretch cavity doesn't mean much against a human torso but can grenade a rabbit. So what about human limbs?
    No, pistol rounds dont blow peoples limbs off. Not even if its a .45 cal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I was told 10mm does this. The person was serious, too.

Bullets do weird stuff- usually less dramatic than expected. I saw someone shoot a rabbit with a 308 and it left pinholes.
    It did die upon impact.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I was told 10mm does this. The person was serious, too.

Bullets do weird stuff- usually less dramatic than expected. I saw someone shoot a rabbit with a 308 and it left pinholes.
    It did die upon impact.
    One of the weirdest results I ever got messing around with mud testing was with .308. Silver Bear .308 JSP 140 or 145 gr from a G3 clone.

I fired three rounds at about 25 yds into a small box filled with damp dirt. (not quite mud) The box was only about 16" x 12" x 5" thick. (might have been a box cat litter comes in) I expected a blast of dirt out of the top and spray out of the back. Nope! Nothing! And the bullets didn't even go through the box! I would have thought I'd missed if not for the three holes in the face of the box. When I dug I found small pieces of lead and jacket. The bullets didn't expand I don't think, they simply came apart as if they were made of ice. So weird. I would have expected solid bullets from a .22 rifle to have got through but here .308 did not.

Feedback Score
    Not off, but a hit to bones in the forearm (radius, ulna) may do enough damage to keep a hand from working at all, I'm guessing.

That's what I'd like to see research about. Does a hit to that area with a FMJ .380 do much less damage than a JHP 124 gr +p 9mm?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a S&W 329PD that when shot with heavy hard cast feels like you blew your own hand off...

The perils of shooting a 44mag revolver that weighs what a G19 weighs...