Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The Quest for the Ultimate in a Lightweight KISS Carbine

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Screw it, I'm dumping my optic for this and a more powerful white light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQMtr7Dl8k

If half the claims made are true, its a winner.
    Those might work out great. I had the front fiber optic break out of my 1911 front sight & was surprised at how much I liked shooting through the hole.

Feedback Score
    I don't know how I missed this thread. I love this topic.

This was my KISS project I did a while back.

I did a whole write up on it in the custom build forum over here.

I call it the "Minuteman" in honor of my old career as an ICBM officer. The goal was a bit of a blend of old school and modern, just like my old missiles that were fielded in 1967 and updgraded over the years.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    I don't know how I missed this thread. I love this topic.

This was my KISS project I did a while back.

I did a whole write up on it in the custom build forum over here.

I call it the "Minuteman" in honor of my old career as an ICBM officer. The goal was a bit of a blend of old school and modern, just like my old missiles that were fielded in 1967 and updgraded over the years.
    Pretty snazzy. First time I've seen a rifle length MOE handguard paired with a MOE rifle stock. Looks good in OD.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    As an old NRA High Power shooter, I truly appreciate a good set of iron sights. Unfortunately, my eyesight now renders them something less than useful. RDS are a non-starter as well due to astigmatism, so it's optics-only for me at this point. The Leupold 2.5X20 scope/Daniel Defense mount combo shown below weighs just over 12 ounces combined, rifle as shown (sans magazine) weighs in at 7-pounds/3-ounces;

rifle-2.jpg
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Since I was asked via PM about this somewhat non-typical (for an AR) scope, I thought I'd share my response here.

Like you, this scope had been on my radar for a really long time;

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rimfi...light-2-5x20mm

If a simple fixed power scope with a non-illuminated duplex reticle is something you can live with, the Leupold is awesome. It's extremely light (about 6 ounces), is durable (intended for hard-recoiling dangerous game rifles), and is bright and clear with long eye relief and a forgiving eye box. Easy to use with two eyes open and the scope itself obscures little of the view. And just as importantly, the adjustable diopter (eye piece) allows a sharp view and reticle with my crappy eyesight. As stated in my post, combined with the Daniel Defense mount, the entire optic package weighs just over 12 ounces (an Aero mount would get it under 10).

Actual magnification is 2.2x so inside 10 yards it is quite useable but not as fast as a RDS or a LPVO set at 1X. It wouldn't be my first choice for kicking down doors and room clearing (not that I do that stuff anyway), but combined with a WML the non-illuminated reticle is sharp and clearly visible in low light conditions. For my use outside in daylight conditions, from 10 yards out to 300, it's amazingly good for a "Fudd scope." It's fast, clear, bright and easy to acquire the target with, if not very tacti-cool.

If I was to do it again, I'd order the scope direct from Leupold with either the Post & Duplex or German #4 reticle, and the CDS turrets;

https://customshop.leupold.com/confi...ight-2-5x20mm/

Even at that custom shop price, I would still go for it.

So in summary, if you don't feel disadvantaged with fixed power and a non-illuminated reticle (I do not), the FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20mm is definitely worth considering. After trying everything from Aimpoints, ACOGs, three different LPVOs, and the Leupold Prismatic on an AR, I am very content with this scope. At this point, have no intention of abandoning it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Canonshooter; 01-18-19 at 08:04. Reason: Manage file attachments
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    i don't know if anyone has considered this sight but it is cannot be destroyed except with a vice, is powered by fiberoptics/tritium so it will work at night and has no battery so it qualifies as KISS.

https://seeallopensight.com/products...m-night-sights

I think is weights less than two ounces. I am still thinking about this.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    i don't know if anyone has considered this sight but it is cannot be destroyed except with a vice, is powered by fiberoptics/tritium so it will work at night and has no battery so it qualifies as KISS.

Are you being serious with this post?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Are you being serious with this post?
    Why not?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Since it looks like this thread is going off of the rails I'll take the opportunity to change the subject while questioning the OP. What are you willing to give up for a lighter rifle?? Would you give up a full ambi lower, sling with hardware, light/mount and RDS to save what a loaded 30 round magazine weighs?? It's about percentages to me. It's easy to build a six and a half pound full featured rifle without using exotic parts. Put a loaded magazine in it and it weighs another pound. Put the same 1 pound magazine in a 5 pound rifle. My point is.. Chasing weight is easy until it starts costing real money. My everyday watch weighs a pound. My everyday winter leather jacket weighs 5 pounds. WTF should worry about a couple of ounces??

Feedback Score

A shooting friend of mine has one of these and I have shot it numerous times. They are a little hard to zero, but once dialed in they are pretty good.

I just ordered a refurbish unit with free shipping for $130.00. You can get a first Gen non tritium for $70.00

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast