Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: .357sig pcc

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post

My concern is that the screaming 65gr Lehigh's don't have the sectional density (length compared to diameter) for adequate "rifle" ballistics, or even rifle-like. Yeah, they are one solid piece but once it starts to open the weight will not overcome the drag of expansion, at least as far as I see it. If I am wrong please show me why. It sounds good but I have my doubts about it's terminal performance.
    It is not a hollow point, it has flutes milled into the body that create a wave effect that give it a wound channel 2to3 times greater than a hollowpoint. My friends that shot hogs with them were impressed by the damage they did in flesh, and of the rounds they found they said you could reload them since they were still in the same shape as when they were fired. All the testing I have seen with them in gel they are barrier blind and no matter the barrier they still penetrated to the desired depth and still created the same wound channel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    It is not a hollow point, it has flutes milled into the body that create a wave effect that give it a wound channel 2to3 times greater than a hollowpoint. My friends that shot hogs with them were impressed by the damage they did in flesh, and of the rounds they found they said you could reload them since they were still in the same shape as when they were fired. All the testing I have seen with them in gel they are barrier blind and no matter the barrier they still penetrated to the desired depth and still created the same wound channel.
    Gotcha. I thought you were talking about the HP all-copper bullets. You are referring to the fluted FMJ ones. I think I have some in .380.

Got to searching a little bit online and the TNW ASR comes in 357Sig. Check out the velocities (granted, from a 16" barrel): https://www.tnwfirearms.com/Articles.asp?ID=261
    Last edited by ABNAK; 08-01-22 at 10:18.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Gotcha. I thought you were talking about the HP all-copper bullets. You are referring to the fluted FMJ ones. I think I have some in .380.

Got to searching a little bit online and the TNW ASR comes in 357Sig. Check out the velocities (granted, from a 16" barrel): https://www.tnwfirearms.com/Articles.asp?ID=261
    That is pretty impressive, they are claiming 357 Magnum carbine velocities from the 357 Sig. 2000+ fps for a 125 gr bullet.

Its generally considered bad form to link to another forum, but Glock Talk has a guy showing 2700 fps for 65 gr Underwood from a 16" barrel. Thats freaking smoking!

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-03-22 at 07:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    That is pretty impressive, they are claiming 357 Magnum carbine velocities from the 357 Sig. 2000+ fps for a 125 gr bullet.

Its generally considered bad form to link to another forum, but Glock Talk has a guy showing 2700 fps for 65 gr Underwood from a 16" barrel. Thats freaking smoking!

Andy
    Tangential: I recall starting a thread a while back as to why there's not more .357 Mag carbines. That pistol rnd benefits more from longer barrels than any other I can think of. I know there's some engineering/functional issues being a rnd designed for revolvers vs pistols, but if that's issue was overcome, that's a winner of a carbine all day. Hunters report .357 Mag from longer barrels pushing above 2k FPS one of the most "drop them where they were" rnd they ever used at 100y or so I recall. I recall there was .357 Mag pistols around for a time, don't know how reliable they were. From what I found when I last looked, .357 Mag lever guns was all I could find. Finally, interesting to note various .44 Mag carbines do exist, yet .357 Mag seems nadda.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Tangential: I recall starting a thread a while back as to why there's not more .357 Mag carbines. That pistol rnd benefits more from longer barrels than any other I can think of. I know there's some engineering/functional issues being a rnd designed for revolvers vs pistols, but if that's issue was overcome, that's a winner of a carbine all day. Hunters report .357 Mag from longer barrels pushing above 2k FPS one of the most "drop them where they were" rnd they ever used at 100y or so I recall. I recall there was .357 Mag pistols around for a time, don't know how reliable they were. From what I found when I last looked, .357 Mag lever guns was all I could find. Finally, interesting to note various .44 Mag carbines do exist, yet .357 Mag seems nadda.
    I suspect that is because of the reasons you mentioned. I would take a .357 Magnum 16" lever gun > .44 Magnum one hands down.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

I think Yoni was looking at a concealable weapon with a shorter barrel than 16", but look at the 9" Glock barrel velocities! Maybe 200fps less! Holy hell! I'll take it.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I suspect that is because of the reasons you mentioned. I would take a .357 Magnum 16" lever gun > .44 Magnum one hands down.
    Ditto here. The .357 Mag from a rifle length barrel is a most impressive considering grain weight also.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I am sorry look at the chart out of a 6 inch barrel 2269 fps. Before anyone says anything I carry a Glock 34 with a 6inch barrel every day and it is not any harder to carry than a Glock 26, 19, 17, 34. I carry it IWB in the summer in shorts or jeans with a T shirt or button down shirt. In the winter I do the same or go with a shoulder holster.

Then you add a 9 inch AR at almost 2500fps and you got the perfect truck gun back up to your pistol, same ammo, same mags.
    Last edited by yoni; 08-03-22 at 18:08.

Feedback Score
    I see a lot of reference to .357 Mag in this thread. Now I do love me some .357 Mag, but the design is just not very compatible with auto loaders and box magazines. I mean isn't that the very reasoning behind the .357 Sig.

I don't see myself going down the .357 Sig rabbit hole but I do find its performance interesting. Especially these lightweight high velocity bullets.

I wonder about the possibility about pairing this tech with say the 7.62x39. I've personally had very good results with light weight bullets in my 375 H&H for hunting. Light rifle bullets have tended to be designed for varmints so it makes me wonder about these solids.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    I see a lot of reference to .357 Mag in this thread. Now I do love me some .357 Mag, but the design is just not very compatible with auto loaders and box magazines. I mean isn't that the very reasoning behind the .357 Sig.

I don't see myself going down the .357 Sig rabbit hole but I do find its performance interesting. Especially these lightweight high velocity bullets.

I wonder about the possibility about pairing this tech with say the 7.62x39. I've personally had very good results with light weight bullets in my 375 H&H for hunting. Light rifle bullets have tended to be designed for varmints so it makes me wonder about these solids.
    Just last few pages, mostly by me. If they can make it work for .44 Mag, they can make it work for .357 Mag. My only real point is that .357 Mag seems to benefit more from longer barrel lengths than any handgun rnd I'm aware of.

Personally, always viewed the .357 Sig a solution in search of a problem, especially with the modern JHPs that all follow FBI protocols.

As Yoni wants to employ it, a specific projectile getting rifle like velocities from a pistol, and even better from a carbine - not mouse rnd like 5.7 etc - it makes sense "on paper" to me.

But we also know that there's no stat sig differences in terminal ballistics between typical duty loads in .357 Sig to 9mm, hence why 9mm is chosen, especially when you factor in recoil, costs, etc.

.357 Sig does have some niche advantages over 9mm for intermediate barriers like car windshields and such, so those who are likely to need that, such as state troopers, kept their .357 Sigs. I don't know what % kept them.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 08-04-22 at 10:25.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast