Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Game Of Thrones Season 8 Predictions and Discussion

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    Kind of like Penny on Big Bang Theory said after watching Raiders of the Lost Ark for the first time? Her opinion was that Indiana Jones had zero influence on what happened in the end. The Nazis would have opened it and gotten face melted with a lot less bother.

Actually the Starks, Jon included were more catalyst than actual action. They caused “stuff” to happen through the series even if they didn’t manage to survive the reaction.
    A good take on it, but it seemed to me Jon has been groomed the entire series to do something big, something that almost justifies all the chit that's happened to the Starks. If he just gets taken out tonight, but has some essential play in the outcome, I guess it supports your take on it. I'd be disappointing but it's been a generally disappointing season so I'm prepared for a "meh" ending to the series. Season 1-5 as good as TV can get, 6-7, good but not great (and where they lost their material based on the original series) and 8, is meh. I don't see how they will change that with one final episode, but it's been a great ride and I was a way late comer to the series.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Yeah,
    Again,
    Everything is rushed.
    We’re just jumping from plot outline point to plot outline point and it is very rushed and unsatisfying.

It takes better writing, development, etc. than they seem capable of.

You can have surprise twist in who kills the night king, but the expected guy kills the dragon instead. Or he is held up laying waste to the white walker PSD a d puts a dozen of those down while his sister sneaks by. They both had their heroic journey cycles. But without that better writing, his is never to be consumated.

You had hints at a mad queen. No here she is. In a very sudden and bizarre way very fast. You need good writing and development for such a rapid change not to just throw everything off. Again, we need just a little more to accept it. A cheating combatant leads to her miscarrying her secret miracle baby. Bam, done.

There will be some issues with fans wanting the series to have ended different and outcomes not being what they wanted.
    Understood.
    Myself and many others are more just cringing at how horribly written and executed it is.

It’s sort of like in the early 1990s there was a Young Indiana Jones TV series. I maybe caught about half a dozen episodes. You would have this lousy, corny opening, then an episode of high production value, well acted, well written, story, then this jarring switch to a corny, crappy acting, half assed and poorly done closing.

This season maintained high production value, effects, and everything, but it is that same jarring switch at the end of the show.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    So, if Jon does not kill the cute dragon lady tonight, he literally had no reason to exist in the show.
    Your ennui and dissatisfaction are from him not fulfilling his heroic cycle. He did not kill the night king. He did not cut down a dozen white walkers and get the assist while his sister snuck by. He did not slay the evil dragon before it got to his queen or could kill one of the good dragons.

It was OK for Arya to get the night king kill. She had a very trying, classic, heroic journey as well.

But writing too poorly to complete johns cycle only left three option of the heroic journey tree.

A dissatisfying one, he quits and he heads off to the lonely wilderness, cycle incomplete. It’s ok to ride into town, fax down the best evil gunfighter, and ride off. But here he rode into town, somebody else did it, he took out bar patron number six, an uncredited whore beater, and rides off.

A dissatisfying one, he kills some people. Then either rules or quits, cycle incomplete. Killing some more bar patrons, the mayors wife that betrayed them, then staying or leaving doesn’t really matter- he never took down a commiserate foe.

A love it or hate it big switch. The big bad guy switch, which should have come earlier- he stopped her from going mad and someone still killed her, he loses it, hops on dragon, destroys the city with a nod to his journey, like in that spiral pattern, shoves dragon glass in his and the dragons heart, and become what they have fought and hated.

Humans are hard wired across all cultures for tales of a journey. The details can be different. The setting, etc.
    in a setting without magic, monsters, dragons, etc. taking down a business, crime ring, politician, some bad guys, etc. is OK.
    In a setting with these things, all symmetry, scale, etc. is lost when the peak accomplishment is missing. Thus the sense of bad story. Imagine Roadhouse if the bouncer never had his show down and never ripped the throat from the bad guy, because his little sister went in and did it. That surprise only works if he had held off ten badasses or the double surprise bad guys twin brother while she did it.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    The problem with GoT was that it was character driven, like a soap opera- and you build up and make complex all these characters- how many? 20-30? Plot moves slowly with that kind of character inertia- and like a network, the more nodes and connections, the greater the inertia. That is fine if you stay character based, and you can carry on for 100s of episodes.

Then GoT got plot driven as their needed to be an end, and they needed to get there fast. Throw out the character development, move characters at light speed, and advance the plot.

What they should have done was started killing of more characters sooner- but whack the wrong ones and you lose audience. Keep the characters and you keep viewers (subscribers), but they are unhappy- but still paying.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The problem with GoT was that it was character driven, like a soap opera- and you build up and make complex all these characters- how many? 20-30? Plot moves slowly with that kind of character inertia- and like a network, the more nodes and connections, the greater the inertia. That is fine if you stay character based, and you can carry on for 100s of episodes.

Then GoT got plot driven as their needed to be an end, and they needed to get there fast. Throw out the character development, move characters at light speed, and advance the plot.

What they should have done was started killing of more characters sooner- but whack the wrong ones and you lose audience. Keep the characters and you keep viewers (subscribers), but they are unhappy- but still paying.
    I've been saying something similar as well. If you wanted the impact to be felt of losing characters and dragons, it needed to be in season 7 or right at the beginning of season 8. We don't grieve losing these characters because they are simply gone, no, we grieve their loss because we will be watching the rest of the show without our favorite characters. When there is no "rest of the show" what is left to care about? No matter who lives or dies tonight, all goes black.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    He did it... the son of a bitch did it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What did he do? Go to Cheers? I dont have Cable
    I can only infer that he went to Cheers after making sure Dany reunited with Chappy and got into the Air Force Academy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Damnit. Couldn't be more disappointed. Nothing redeeming the writers whatsoever in this finale. Bastards. All of them.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Damnit. Couldn't be more disappointed. Nothing redeeming the writers whatsoever in this finale. Bastards. All of them.
    Don’t care. Making things right with ghost is all I needed

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ...meh...

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast