Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My life was just turned upside down.......

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

My life was just turned upside down.......

So Sunday afternoon while at work i received a call from my elderly father saying I had gotten mail at his house. Thinking it was for him (we have the same name) he opens it and calls me in a panic. To paraphrase the letter he has a granddaughter and i have a niece we knew nothing about and is currently in custody of the Child protective service. After my mom passed years ago myself and my father decided it was time to break ties with my younger brother due to the constant drug use (my family had tried for many years to help), the felony convictions and even a investigation into assisting in a bank robbery and the attempted break ins to our house he said he lived by drug dealers he owed money. The letter was looking for some one to take her into their home until they can figure out what to do. I have no idea who the mother is but i'm expecting shes a real winner also. I end up calling the next day on Monday with my girl friend of over 2 years that we just bought a 3000 square foot house and my father. Turns out she is almost 2 years old was being taken care of her mom's great grandparents then when they could no longer take care of her passed onto a "babysitter". The circumstance when child protective services stepped in, i am not allowed to know. But her mom's parents said they wanted nothing to do with her. So the director of the office there asked two things would i be willing to foster her and if later on down the road adopt her. With out a hesitation i said yes to both. So i just passed my FBI background check along with the girlfriend (no surprises there) and now waiting for a call from her case worker on Monday for the next steps. I do not have any kids, im not rich but like any one else in the U.S. trying to pay their bills. So needless to say I am scared out of my ever loving mind. My brother is currently on the run for felony warrant's so i dont predict him jumping into this any time soon. So i have a couple of questions if any one here has gone threw the foster care process. 1. How long does the process usually take. 2. I know i will have to open my home to a inspection. Obviously i am a firearm owner, but will this some how affect me from taking in my niece? I do keep all my firearms in a safe (you cant miss it in my "man cave") unless i am home and I am carrying. 3. If I adopt when do you start sitting down the dates when your "cleaning" your firearms Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    DEATH SMILES AT US ALL, ALL WE CAN DO IS SMILE BACK

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    What are you doing man????

Your life isn't upside down - it is going to be permanently ****ed.

Real life doesn't award "good people" points. You just end up involved in a bad way with Mr Felony warrants and deadbeat mother.

Good luck. Your firearm ownership won't affect anything as long as you don't have a Molon Labe flag outside and wear camo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Can't help...never been through it. But I have to admire you for your open heart and your willingness to put aside selfish concern for your own life and reach out to a poor two-year old to try to give her a better life.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well it all comes down to hoping to make a difference i guess. This little girl sounds like shes had no real family since her birth and she is my family. Mr. Felony I dealt with for many years and can handle that situation if the need is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Real life doesn't award "good people" points. You just end up involved in a bad way with Mr Felony warrants and deadbeat mother.

Good luck. Your firearm ownership won't affect anything as long as you don't have a Molon Labe flag outside and wear camo.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I also can't help with your questions but I have the highest respect for your no-hesitation response! Too many kids in this world are paying for their idiot parents' mistakes.

It won't be the same as having your own child but I can tell you that a child will change your heart, forever.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thats what every one is telling me...

Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    I also can't help with your questions but I have the highest respect for your no-hesitation response! Too many kids in this world are paying for their idiot parents' mistakes.

It won't be the same as having your own child but I can tell you that a child will change your heart, forever.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by devildogljb View Post
    Thats what every one is telling me...
    She will come with baggage, be patient. She will need love and attention but also boundaries. I would say give her time to adjust to you but I can already tell you will. Well done, sir. You're a hero in my book.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No experience here- but I believe you are absolutely doing the right thing and would do the same in your situation.

Screw all the other variables and negative aspects- a 2 year old child needs parents, love, nurturing and to be taken care of.

Euro's a good dude, but he's way off base here.

It's gonna change your life. In so many ways. But children change your life for the better. Nurturing and loving a child- seeing them develop and grow is such a reward.

I wish you, your family and the child all the best.

Patience and a kind understanding heart is what this child will need.
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 07-19-17 at 23:03.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

I disagree. You have the opportunity to be a blessing in the life of this girl and change her destiny forever. Good on you for stepping up. Though not a kid of your own I can speak for having kids, they are the most frustrating, expensive, aggravating, and time sucking thing and one the most joyful things that can be in your life. Fully worth the effort. God Bless.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    So kind of like my colt ar

Quote Originally Posted by PrarieDog View Post
    I disagree. You have the opportunity to be a blessing in the life of this girl and change her destiny forever. Good on you for stepping up. Though not a kid of your own I can speak for having kids, they are the most frustrating, expensive, aggravating, and time sucking thing and one the most joyful things that can be in your life. Fully worth the effort. God Bless.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast