Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's this new way of holding the rifle?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've seen it used in advanced CQB training in the Army too. I forget which school it was.... where they have the video simulation shoot house. I think it was on LAV's show.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I think someone went to a clays tournament and saw what the participants were doing and decided to adopt it. Front hand index finger points alongside the forestock, thumb comes up over the top alongside the top barrel. Remaining fingers and palm provide grip and support. My Dad taught me this method over 30 years ago, and I still use it effectively.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 5cary View Post
    Anyway, apparently it was more widespread in the Marines than I knew).
    I'm think probably before 1986 from Division Schools and then SOTG refining it around 1988. I went through the training as a fireteam leader in a line platoon. From Jan 86-Jun 90 I was living the life of Rielly running around the boondocks with my hogtooth. So from my feeble braincell...I'm thinking 83-85 time frame.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ForTehNguyen View Post
    3 gunners have been doing it for a while already even before it caught on
    That was my thought. I doubt all those professional competitors are doing it just to copy Magpul Dynamics.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm sure he could see the humor in it.
    I would hope so!! I'm still laughing!!

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've seen it used in advanced CQB training in the Army too. I forget which school it was.... where they have the video simulation shoot house. I think it was on LAV's show.
    This is accurate.

I was with Scouts in Berlin late '80s and we were working this approach to weapon handling in Doughboy city.

We were (at the time) about the only ones in the Army who spent any serious time training MOUT/ CQB stuff. Tight locations with standard length M16's. The theory was it gave you better weapon control in tight spots and close up. Everyone else was still wearing woodland camo and training for the open European terrain fighting techniques for the big Soviet threat (yeah I'm old).

I honestly don't recall whether it was doctrine or something the firearms trainers were freelancing on us based on their evolving consciousness about the urban fighting environment. But this showed up on my radar way back then.

And yeah this looked really weird on the full length M16. Talk about full "Scorpion!"
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder Ops View Post
    This is accurate.

I was with Scouts in Berlin late '80s and we were working this approach to weapon handling in Doughboy city.

We were (at the time) about the only ones in the Army who spent any serious time training MOUT/ CQB stuff.
    I seriously doubt that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    People have been doing this a while from what I understand, I came to rifles from being a pistol shooter (who was taught so keep the support hand in control of the weapon), so for some reason when I went to rifles (AKs first) it just kind of came naturally.
    I'm curious how you are doing this as a thumb over grip on an AK completely covers the sights.

Upstate NY Otsego Lake area, Fl, Carib. & Panama, depending on the sailing season and my mood.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by badmuther View Post
    I seriously doubt that.
    What part?
    Ed Fernley
    Pathfinder Operations
    Semper Primus!

"I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike boufford View Post
    I think someone went to a clays tournament and saw what the participants were doing and decided to adopt it. Front hand index finger points alongside the forestock, thumb comes up over the top alongside the top barrel. Remaining fingers and palm provide grip and support. My Dad taught me this method over 30 years ago, and I still use it effectively.
    That's pretty much how I shoot skeet too. I haven't gone to the shotgun range near my dad's house in probably two years now (June 2009 I think it was) but it just feels natural, same with holding my AR with my left arm extended.

I just can't do it with a 7" rail. That's why I want my next gun to have a low-pro gas block and at least 10" rail.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast