Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which is more reliable?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Due respect, Rodan, but your hunting instructor was hopelessly wedded to his Winchester thuty-thuty.
    Can we not restart the whole AR-unreliability thing? All my Colts have run 100%, including the one the Gummint was kind enough to give me in 1970. I never had to run thru' the jungle with mine, but I did shoot the hell out of it; never one failure. Never was trained to download two, and have never done so. Many here would attest to the same.
    No personal experience with the S&W; if yours misbehaves, send it to Smith or move on.
    Best,
    Moon
    He was a bolt action rifle cultist but I like your response.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodan1957 View Post
    Whether 10,000 rounds or one round, I clean my weaponry after every firing session. Also. My 1980 WV DNR safe hunting instructor told us the SP-1 AR-15 is not recommended because of reliability issues. Therefore, I'm with top cocker as more reliable than SP-1, too. This from a whom a guy considers a stock M&P 15 Sport 2 as a D grade rifle, also.
    My first AR was 1980 SP-1...sweet rifle and totally reliable. Wish I had kept it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    What happens to your rifle if you don’t clean it after a low volume use?
    Rhetorical, I assume. But I can testify that Pappabear and I have a good 20 ARs between us that get low volume use (because of our more long range oriented shooting), and almost never see a cleaning.

Over the last 8 or so years, there's been no functional or mechanical issues with no cleaning of slow fired/low fired ARs.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Retards being allowed to spec Gas Ports is the single largest reason for modern day AR un-reliability babble. Gassing the gun right will even allow for non-spec, sub-par components to run pretty good.

There's a lot of LWRCi-esque trash out there, and a lot of guys just don't know the difference... and the whole platform gets lumped together in their minds.
    Not really a fan of LWRC either, but would you mind explaining this a bit, please? What about them makes you say that?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Not really a fan of LWRC either, but would you mind explaining this a bit, please? What about them makes you say that?
    He had some... bad experiences with LWRC a decade or so ago.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    He had some... bad experiences with LWRC a decade or so ago.
    And we’ve never heard the end of it......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Rhetorical, I assume. But I can testify that Pappabear and I have a good 20 ARs between us that get low volume use (because of our more long range oriented shooting), and almost never see a cleaning.

Over the last 8 or so years, there's been no functional or mechanical issues with no cleaning of slow fired/low fired ARs.
    Yeah, it was rhetorical. I’m too lazy to clean 3-4 times a week, unless I’m being paid to.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    "Cleaning" for me mostly consists of just taking the BCG out, wiping the loose crap off it and re-lubing (I do run my guns a bit wetter than is perhaps necessary). Sometimes the bolt itself gets removed and gets the same treatment, and sometimes not. I will also sometimes swab the chamber out and run an Otis Ripcord down the bore. Overall I've found that the level of thoroughness in my "cleanings" is heavily dependant on how bored I am at the time.
    While I had one AR that apparently got dirty enough that when hitting the bolt release the BCG would sometimes be a bit sluggish going into battery I've only ever had one stoppage during firing with an AR that may have been due to the gun being dirty, and I'm not even sure that was the cause as it was just a one-time malfunction.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post

An original ArmaLite promotional video on the AR-10 (the carry handle is specifically referred to as a, "carrying handle"):

Great video, thanks for posting it. The belt fed option was fascinating.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    And we’ve never heard the end of it......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh shit that gave me a chuckle. He actually is a pretty cool cucumber. But not quick to forgive.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123