Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: SHTF Rifle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellis7702 View Post
    I agree. Very interesting how the term SHTF is so controversial and evokes so much emotion in adults. At any rate, I feel a SHTF rifle is reflective of the users individual environment, experience on the platform, and what they feel is appropriate to use as a defensive weapon. To clearly one of my previous statements, this is a range toy. Ladies and gentlemen, unless your in combat, all of your firearms are range toys. Even if you train hard everyday and plan for the worse, your firearm is a range toy, regardless of what label you put upon it. Now, if you have a duty weapon that is a different situation.
    Range toys do not qualify as SHTF rifles. By your own logic your thread title is incorrect.

SHTF rifles(or handguns for that matter) are looked upon under specific criteria. Although no hard and fast rules/list/requirements exist, the following are some generally accepted guidelines/practices/requirements.

100% reliability in all environments
    100% reliability with all common loads (55gr, 62gr, 5.56x45 and .223rem) steel cased ammo a plus
    Optics capable of being dropped and retaining zero
    All accessories add to performance without sacrificing reliability or durability
    Capable of being employed 24 hours a day with or without NV (This is more for the purist or "serious" SHTF rifle builder)
    All the above while trying to keep weight to a minimum.
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 05-20-20 at 21:28.

Feedback Score
    I don’t know.....You can still find Colt 6920s... as we speak... new for sale for $1000. Could have bought that, put a quality free float rail on it, a Geissele SSA, and Aimpoint Pro, a Streamlight or Surefire (what ever fit the budget), and a Vickers sling or equivalent and had a legit SHTF rifle for under what you must have payed. Plus it would have been assembled properly (not that you didn’t).
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    I don’t know.....You can still find Colt 6920s... as we speak... new for sale for $1000. Could have bought that, put a quality free float rail on it, a Geissele SSA, and Aimpoint Pro, a Streamlight or Surefire (what ever fit the budget), and a Vickers sling or equivalent and had a legit SHTF rifle for under what you must have payed. Plus it would have been assembled properly (not that you didn’t).
    Probably would have been assembled properly. Definitely would’ve used more proven parts. I’m far from a colt fanboy but that or several other options would likely have been a better choice for the same amount of money, regardless of how you define SHTF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I don’t mean to pile on and the rifle is salvageable as a SHTF build. I’d get rid of the trigger and put a Geissele in. I’d get rid of the BCG and just go with a BCM, SOLGWs, or SIONICs in old fashioned phosphate. I’d put a BCM, Geissele, Centurion, or even a MI combat rail on it. Get rid of the goofy stock and go with the B5 he was talking about. Then get Aimpoint Pro. Oh and just put a normal buffer in there H1 or 2. Hopefully we will have 4th of July sales this year.

Save all the other part for another less serious build. I’d also spend some time watching so Instructor Chad videos to make sure the thing was assembled correctly.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    Hiperfire makes outstanding triggers. I am guessing those being critical of them have never tried or owned them.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    NiB has also been shown to not really do any of the things they claimed it would, and can lead to premature failure due to the application process. There's a lot of threads here on the subject. The choice of a NiB upper with black cerakote is a strange choice in my opinion, I'd much rather have the standard hard coat anodized finish that has worked well for decades.
    I have searched here and could not find a thread criticizing NIB BCG. Could you link me to one so I could read what folks have to say? I am curious as I have never read or heard anything, but positive things about them. Thanks in advance.

Never mind I found one thread making one reference to a coating potentially being a problem....
    Robert Silvers refused to have any coatings/treatments done to this AAC BCG bolts due to hydrogen embrittlement potential. I wonder if NP3 can result in such? I am not up and up on it, so I don't know.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Not going to pile on. docsherm’s post was solid.
    Additionally, the Hiperfire is an excellent trigger. I do prefer Geissele two stage in general, but I have a Heavy Gunner in a trigger chassis breaking it in for a 308 build. It’s good for its intended purpose. That hammer is going to set off any crap ammo during “SHTF.”
    OP, I understand that you put together something unique with all the parts you wanted. Run it. If something breaks, or if you continue learning and dislike an element you currently have, replace it with some of the excellent suggestions in this thread.
    But mostly go shoot. I love putting stuff together, and still do, but the time spent shooting with a carbine is more valuable than ordering another Radian safety etc etc.
    Run it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellis7702 View Post
    I am lost at how my idea for rifle and the terminology I use has sparked so much investigative and defensive conversation.
    Welcome to M4Carbine. The crew here 100% mean well but this isn't a forum that appreciates innovation or deviation from Mil Spec unless it's something Forward Controls puts out.

None of that was intended as a negative, just an observation.

You put together a very good rifle that will likely be a smooth shooter & a dream to maintain. I'd swap the stock just as you intend to do (Magpul SL-S would be my choice) & maybe the handguard (to save a little more weight), but that's about it. Hiperfire triggers aren't my jam but neither are Geisseles. If you enjoy it, rock on.

If you're looking for solid no frills fixed irons, go with the DD set.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    You heard it boys. 95% (Dare I say more) of the AR’s that M4Cers own that have thousands of rounds through them aren’t ready for the poop to hit the fan. If you aren’t running the most expensive brands you’re going to die. If you’re running a BCM you’re gonna die. Don’t feel bad all my builds that have thousands of failure free rounds down the pipe aren’t good enough either. I’m gonna die too. With all my functioning AR’s. #sadness.

If your SHTF rifle isn’t a KAC/LMT/Geissele, then it isn’t worthy literally made me laugh.
    That's why I'm grabbing my garand with an ammo belt of black tip

In all honesty, I'd probably grab my DD (dual stamped, Aimpoint T1), LMT (acog w/ red dot), or my KAC 11.5 (Trijicon 1-4) if I truly had to step into WW3.

Back to OP, I had a chance to play with the ADM rifle, and took a class where the owner was present. It's an interesting lower. Let us know how it works as it gets dirty - between firing and dirt/crud, I'd be curious if that little lever that releases the bolt gets jammed up.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    In defense of choosing the Hiperfire EDT over a Larue MBT, its a pretty good single stage that is suitable for putting in work. So, if someone doesn’t want a two stage, its a good option.
    Have they improved over the years? I bought a used Colt lower a few years back that had a Hiperfire trigger, not sure which model it was, but it felt like an average milspec trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    Hiperfire makes outstanding triggers. I am guessing those being critical of them have never tried or owned them.
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Additionally, the Hiperfire is an excellent trigger.
    Maybe I'll order one and see how I like it, I have a lower that needs a trigger.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Have they improved over the years? I bought a used Colt lower a few years back that had a Hiperfire trigger, not sure which model it was, but it felt like an average milspec trigger.

See above.

Maybe I'll order one and see how I like it, I have a lower that needs a trigger.
    I have the old Hiperfire 24E trigger in a lower. The best single stage trigger I have ever shot.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast