Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other .300WM shooters lurking about?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Any other .300WM shooters lurking about?

Just added a 700 XCR to the stable. 26" 1:10 with an NF NXS 12-42x56 on top on an NF base and PRI rings.

The XCR is an interesting piece for a factory rifle. It's stainless steel, then has electroless nickel and black PVD-type coating on the exposed metal. It comes with a 40X trigger instead of the standard 700 trigger, and has a full-length bedding block in a B&C stock (which will sooner or later be replaced by a desert tan AICS, but it'll do until then).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    replaced by a desert tan AICS.
    You mean baby poop don't you? AI seemingly hasn't figured out what FDE looks like... but they nailed the "calf scour" or "baby poop" brown!

The 300WM is an excellent cartridge. I'm sure you'll like it. (until the 20th shot or so)
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Im running two 30 cal magnums right now one in 300 win mag the other in 300 wsm. I went to the 260 rem after I shot out my first 308 and then up ed the horse power to the magnums.

I have a muzzle brake on both of the rifles so recoil is a non issue and it lets me spot my shoots through the scope.

Sounds like a cool rig I like the look of them alot. After you lap the lugs will you let me know how much berring surface you had when you started vs when you were done?

Jon
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 05-23-11 at 18:34.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Im running two 30 cal magnums right now one in 300 win mag the other in 300 wsm. I went to the 260 rem after I shot out my first 308 and then up ed the horse power to the magnums.

I have a muzzle brake on both of the rifles so recoil is a non issue and it lets me spot my shoots through the scope.

Sounds like a cool rig I like the look of them alot. After you lap the lugs will you let me know how much berring surface you had when you started vs when you were done?

Jon
    Haven't checked that yet. I have the Wheeler Engineering lapping tool, but I want to see how the gun shoots before I pull the barrel off and potentially have to rechamber it.

I have a Tubb Final Finish kit on the way, that will get done this weekend probably.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    Haven't checked that yet. I have the Wheeler Engineering lapping tool, but I want to see how the gun shoots before I pull the barrel off and potentially have to rechamber it.

I have a Tubb Final Finish kit on the way, that will get done this weekend probably.
    Why would you pull the barrel? Never used one of the tubb kits. I have never heard of a negitave result. It would be cool to see a bore scope comparison on the bore before and after the lapping.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Why would you pull the barrel? Never used one of the tubb kits. I have never heard of a negitave result. It would be cool to see a bore scope comparison on the bore before and after the lapping.
    You have to pull the barrel to use the lap I have.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I picked up a 700P a couple months ago and it's the first precision rig above .308 I've had. I personally feel it has less felt recoil than a .308 SPS. No brake on the 300, standard 26" factory.

I used the NF 3.5-15 that was waiting on the .308 at Bartlein and will install the NF 5.5-22 that just came in. I also replaced the HS stock with an AICS. Nothing wrong with the HS stock, I like the AICS for consistency with the other sticks.

Not a high round count, but have fired 60 rounds in a day with no issues on the recoil.
    What I have noticed is that NPA is more critical with the heavier calibers. The errors are more apparent if you aren't "squared away"

What I do like is a 10.1 mil come up at 1200 with a first round hit on the 12x12 steel!

I do enjoy the challenge with it and right now 1200 is the furthest I have to shoot. I do plan to make contact with someone who has at least 1500 nearby.

For those looking for good factory, Black Hills 190 match is moving at 3025! I did work up a match load that resembles the A191 using H1000 and the 190 SMK.

Mark
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    I picked up a 700P a couple months ago and it's the first precision rig above .308 I've had. I personally feel it has less felt recoil than a .308 SPS. No brake on the 300, standard 26" factory.

I used the NF 3.5-15 that was waiting on the .308 at Bartlein and will install the NF 5.5-22 that just came in. I also replaced the HS stock with an AICS. Nothing wrong with the HS stock, I like the AICS for consistency with the other sticks.

Not a high round count, but have fired 60 rounds in a day with no issues on the recoil.
    What I have noticed is that NPA is more critical with the heavier calibers. The errors are more apparent if you aren't "squared away" This is for sure. It's like driving a heavy motorcycle - you better have it pointed where you want it to go when you go into the turn, because muscling it around halfway through is going to end badly for you.

What I do like is a 10.1 mil come up at 1200 with a first round hit on the 12x12 steel!

I do enjoy the challenge with it and right now 1200 is the furthest I have to shoot. I do plan to make contact with someone who has at least 1500 nearby.

For those looking for good factory, Black Hills 190 match is moving at 3025! I did work up a match load that resembles the A191 using H1000 and the 190 SMK.

Mark
    Do you have a 220 load yet? Once I get enough once-fired brass made, I am going to go ahead and load to match the Mk248 Mod 1 round.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I don't have any data on the 220. I do know that a few people on SH have worked up loads for the 220 and the Amax in 208 I believe. H1000 is the powder for the mil load,but be safe working on those loads. I'm not an "expert" on the reloading but based on what I know and read, people can get in trouble quick with that load if not worked up properly.

I will need to re work my load after the FC casings are toast. I will have 500 once fired Black Hills then!
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Mark5pt56

Do you still have the PSS stock? I have a barrel action that needs a home.

As far as loads go in my 300 win mag, I shoot Bergers 185g Hunting VLD on top of 81g of H1000, Nosler brass and CCI BR2 primers im pusshing 3030fps. With my ES and SD in the single digits. The rifle is a custom Howa and it just got back from Kirby Allen, he modified the action for a rem mag box which gave me .200 more mag length so I can start running the 210 VLD.

In have yet to realy establish a load with my 300 wsm. I have been playing with 208g AMAX and R17 but dont have anything under 2" at 200 yards yet and thats not good enough for me.

Here is one discusion on the 240g SMK just for reading
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ch-king-33805/

Im not a SMK fan but I know lots of guys are I like the AMAX it works great as a longrange hunting bullet too and there hela cheep.

I want to try some 260g SRX alluminum tipped jobs but I dont have the right twist rate.
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...results-72891/
    Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 05-24-11 at 13:54.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast