Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: My SHTF carbine is finally complete

Feedback Score

My SHTF Grab

Not nearly as nice, or high end as some of the sticks on this site, but this is probably the one within the shortest reach at all times. This was my first AR and I have had it for years. It hasn't let me down yet. It goes with me just about every where.

It's a little outdated, with the exception of the Troy battle rail I just added.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snakedoc257 View Post
    Not nearly as nice, or high end as some of the sticks on this site, but this is probably the one within the shortest reach at all times. This was my first AR and I have had it for years. It hasn't let me down yet. It goes with me just about every where.

It's a little outdated, with the exception of the Troy battle rail I just added.
    I'm not seeing the pic....

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    If your pumping them downrange in SA then, not really.
    Eh....a guy can put a massive amount of rounds down range in short order on semi auto. FAA is not required to put the heat on a barrel.

Most LW barrels are plenty rigid enough for normal events.

-
    Agreed. But getting shot at isn't a normal event.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by panzerr View Post
    Eh....a guy can put a massive amount of rounds down range in short order on semi auto. FAA is not required to put the heat on a barrel.
    But not the same rate as a FA and the LW barrel can handle it. I have put a massive amount down range when playing around and my LW handled it.

Nothing that a LW barrel can't handle that anyone on this forum, unless they are SOF, will ever have a chance of running up against with a SA gun.

---
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    62 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbag View Post
    But not the same rate as a FA and the LW barrel can handle it. I have put a massive amount down range when playing around and my LW handled it.

Nothing that a LW barrel can't handle that anyone on this forum, unless they are SOF, will ever have a chance of running up against with a SA gun.

---
    Well then we will have to agree to disagree on both points.
    a former meatpuppet.

http://sixty-six.org

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You should definetly look into getting an aimpoint for that.

Feedback Score

Talking

You should definitely get a heavier barrel...

Naw just kidding, great looking rifle! I just finished a build with the PSA/FN 16" middy LW barrel and I love it! For the record no heat problems

Feedback Score

Anything that will bend the LW profile in a situation like that is also going to damage a standard profile barrel, or the receiver. LW profile barrels are still tough as nails. I've seen them take huge beatings without being canted and I've put mine through some harsh shit and never missed a beat. It's very obvious you're not speaking from experience - you're just stating what you believe or have been told, and it's not true. You have been misinformed. Please, stop speculating. You can talk to any experienced instructor, etc and they will tell you the same thing.

I've put many of hundreds of rounds through my LW barrel in rapid fire and have never had an accuracy issue at all, either. You're making it sound like a LW barrel is delicate, and it's not. I'd like to know what you think will bend the barrel in a self defense situation or on the "two way range" because bumps, jumps, and dives definitely do not compromise the barrel any more than it would a standard profile.

Wow, that was uncalled for.

It is completely possible to express a differing opinion without attempting to belittle people whom you know NOTHING about and making yourself look like a blow-hard. I suggest you take a class in civility or go back to arfcom.
    I've never posted on that site and do not read it either. Nice try, though. Sorry if you feel it's a little harsh but it's not about opinions -- it's about facts.
    Last edited by HKBanger; 10-05-12 at 11:34.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If we're talking about burning through mag after mag, how many mags are ya'll planning on carrying? This is ridiculous.
    "When the time for performance has arrived, the time for preparation had passed."
    -Thomas S. Monson

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mate View Post
    If we're talking about burning through mag after mag, how many mags are ya'll planning on carrying? This is ridiculous.
    I agree and it appears that 99% of the members of this forum do as well. There are many who prefer the standard weight barrels for various reasons and that is why they make both. I own both as well. The issue is throwing out some web based opinion as fact that quite frankly is'nt fact, or even the real advantages in a standard weight barrel. I own an SBR lower and am issued a F/A as well. If a true SHTF situation arises, whatever that is they would both sit wherever they are as I have others that do the same job and weight less. Weight is critical to me. Not so much for carrying as for balance and maneuverability.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast