Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rate my new blowout kit

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd00000 View Post
    If you get rid of the pen light get a hands free head light.
    Agree, I have pen lights but the hands free head light is awesome. Not sure why people didnt come up with this before. Someone was working on my washer with one and after that I bought one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by calicojack View Post
    without training/licensure sticking someone and killing them is a quick way to get your ass thrown in jail. Hell even someone that is licensed, at a lower level, faces criminal charges and loss of licensure for sticking someone. "good samaritan laws" only cover what the basic layperson would do in that situation. it does not cover advanced life support (which decompressing a tension pnuemothorax is considered)
    Unless I am trained and certified I would not be sticking a needle into someones chest. That is not to say you cant carry one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The subject put me at odds with your original list - but your explanation of your use changes it ...

To me - a "Blow Out Kit" - is a standard immediate treatment kit carried by every member - that is supported by a trained dude with extra stuff.

I like that you are looking for additional training - that is a plus.

I do EMS for a living for more than 15 years - I am OK with NEVER using a penlight - but that's just me.

You have 2 bandages 4" + 6", 2 different gauzes, and 2 different chest seals (each of them cost a bit of cash - sorry for the loss). If you can not prove the value of each item as a stand alone asset without using the company's marketing info - that should encourage more training. (Typically a BOK has 1 of each)
    Don't get me wrong - they are all good stuff - but by adding bulk and extra stuff - you are getting out of BOK into immediate aid (read training) the more you expand the more options = blah blah blah

I keep it simple - there are some nice combat aid items on the market - for a BOK - a premium 6" bandage, premium gauze pack, dual chest seal + NPA is a good answer. But I am good supporting it with basic trauma dressings, Koflex, Triangle bandages & Ace Bandages.

RE: NPA & Chest needle - the ONLY people I have ever met that will carry those items in their BOK are people who have 100% Trust and Faith in the people on the team who will be sticking them INSIDE them.

Just because you can buy it on the internet doesn't mean it is a good idea to carry it or use it.

I like the shears - for a BOK the weight is not a priority - but it is a very useful tool all around - I can get away with a knife most of the time - but sometime the shears just make life easier.

For me the wipes are useless - they are aimed at the chest needle skill - which is out of my realm. That being said - they are just about weightless and damn near free - I can light the alcohol prep on fire so it has some value in the big picture.

You didn't mention it - but a PRIORITY skill to support your BOK is the ability to get diffinative help wherever you are - PERIOD ! You need to maintain a rock solid communication capability to get a capable ALS crew in contact with any victim as soon as possible and transported to the appropriate care level as soon as possible.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by firemike View Post
    The subject put me at odds with your original list - but your explanation of your use changes it ...

To me - a "Blow Out Kit" - is a standard immediate treatment kit carried by every member - that is supported by a trained dude with extra stuff.

I like that you are looking for additional training - that is a plus.

I do EMS for a living for more than 15 years - I am OK with NEVER using a penlight - but that's just me.

You have 2 bandages 4" + 6", 2 different gauzes, and 2 different chest seals (each of them cost a bit of cash - sorry for the loss). If you can not prove the value of each item as a stand alone asset without using the company's marketing info - that should encourage more training. (Typically a BOK has 1 of each)
    Don't get me wrong - they are all good stuff - but by adding bulk and extra stuff - you are getting out of BOK into immediate aid (read training) the more you expand the more options = blah blah blah

I keep it simple - there are some nice combat aid items on the market - for a BOK - a premium 6" bandage, premium gauze pack, dual chest seal + NPA is a good answer. But I am good supporting it with basic trauma dressings, Koflex, Triangle bandages & Ace Bandages.

RE: NPA & Chest needle - the ONLY people I have ever met that will carry those items in their BOK are people who have 100% Trust and Faith in the people on the team who will be sticking them INSIDE them.

Just because you can buy it on the internet doesn't mean it is a good idea to carry it or use it.

I like the shears - for a BOK the weight is not a priority - but it is a very useful tool all around - I can get away with a knife most of the time - but sometime the shears just make life easier.

For me the wipes are useless - they are aimed at the chest needle skill - which is out of my realm. That being said - they are just about weightless and damn near free - I can light the alcohol prep on fire so it has some value in the big picture.

You didn't mention it - but a PRIORITY skill to support your BOK is the ability to get diffinative help wherever you are - PERIOD ! You need to maintain a rock solid communication capability to get a capable ALS crew in contact with any victim as soon as possible and transported to the appropriate care level as soon as possible.
    Great feedback, Mike. Much appreciated.

In the time since I originally posted this, I have started to get some first responder training (with some of it actually sponsored through my work). We have to have medically trained volunteers available on-site, so that's worked out well for me.

I hear you on paring down my kit, but in regards to why I have two types of chest seals, here's my reasoning. As I stated before (and I see you agree with), I'm not messing with chest needles. This is the reason I have the Bolin. They only come one to a pack, so I picked up a pack of Halos for exit wound closure. Granted, I only need one, but they come two to a sealed pack and I'm not going to break that open just to have one on me. Make sense?

Could I just use the Halos on entry/exit and burp one? Sure, but the Bolin keeps me from having to do that. I don't know. It all fits neatly in my kit and is easy to access, so I don't see a huge reason to get rid of it.

I've also ditched the pen light and have a Surefire headlamp now that works well for both medical and non-medical use.

As far as comms go, you're absolutely right. If I'm down near the border, I'm almost always with CPB friends who always have a radio with them off-duty. One of our shooting spots has a tendency to trip the sensors, so aside from safety, it's also a call of the dogs thing with a quick "hey guys, that's us."

Overall, I feel pretty good about what I've got. But there's always room for improvement and learning from pros like you.

Cheers!
    Life is full of choices. I choose Noveske.

Feedback Score
    training, then tools.

I use simple things in my kit, keep it simple, keep it safe, and keep your knowledge growing....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by krisjon View Post
    Mostly a smart person preparing for bad things. I shoot in the desert east of San Diego a lot and also down near the Mexican border with some CBP friends of mine. Not necessarily bad areas, but everything from risks of other shooters, to ricochets, to gun-toting smugglers/border crossers are always a possibility. Better safe than sorry.

The kit is just for me and worst case boo-boo scenarios. I added the Bolin because while I know how to use everything else I've got, I'm not trained on, nor would I attempt needle decompressions. I figured I would use the Bolin on entry and Halo on exit. There's an extra Halo in my kit because they come in a 2-pack. I could also use the second Halo as an anchor (with a hole punched in it) for the Bolin.

As far as the BFG pouch goes, it's molle attached to my first line belt and deploys easily. I have other med kits and supplies for home and vehicle, but this is my mobile/shooter kit.
    Great blow out kit, my only advice from real world expirience and in the hospital is wear Blue Nitrile gloves. When doing rake/sweep for wounds especially under stress or low light you want a color that will readily show the presence of blood. Just my opinion.
    That Others May Live
    S-G-M 09032012

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFPararescueDoc66 View Post
    Great blow out kit, my only advice from real world expirience and in the hospital is wear Blue Nitrile gloves. When doing rake/sweep for wounds especially under stress or low light you want a color that will readily show the presence of blood. Just my opinion.
    Thanks for the feedback. Always great to hear from a PJ. I have the blue nitrile gloves more than covered now. My new girlfriend is a surgical/medical supply rep. Lots of access to good quality kit.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by krisjon View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Always great to hear from a PJ. I have the blue nitrile gloves more than covered now. My new girlfriend is a surgical/medical supply rep. Lots of access to good quality kit.
    KrisJon: One last thing I forgot is you may want to keep a decomp needle in your kit. Reason being if you or someone else is on verge of losing your life from a tensionpnuemo, there maybe someone who does know how to employ this modality and save you or someone else around you because you have a decomp needle in your IFAK. Stay safe
    That Others May Live
    S-G-M 09032012

Feedback Score
    I agree with the reply to carry things that you may not know how to us but would be useful for a trained person to use. While I would not attempt a needle decompression it could be a lifesaver for someone in the hands of a professional. Gloves are a great addition to a kit.

I have a vehicle blowout kit and and another blowout kit for that is in my range bag.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFPararescueDoc66 View Post
    KrisJon: One last thing I forgot is you may want to keep a decomp needle in your kit. Reason being if you or someone else is on verge of losing your life from a tensionpnuemo, there maybe someone who does know how to employ this modality and save you or someone else around you because you have a decomp needle in your IFAK. Stay safe
    Thanks again for the great advice and also thanks for all you do - and have done.

Thoughts on this setup:

http://www.narescue.com/ARS_for_Need...C=34151F4E0C15

Or any others you would recommend?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast