Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HK91-FAL-M1A. Can't decide on a battle rifle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

HK91-FAL-M1A. Can't decide on a battle rifle.

I've seen to go through my .308 battle rifle phases every few years. Sold my DSA SA58 to fund our wedding last year, but still have the mags. I really want to go back to the Right Arm of the Free World considering I still have mags and a bayonet.

Difference is: we have moved to North Dakota, I'm inching to hunt next year, and said mags are still in TN.

Sigh...and I'm kinda wanting something different.

Even though I've damn near owned or shot all three, I can't say I'm really wanting a change, but maybe a real commitment.

I've owned a CETME and a Hesse G3 misery, a ptr32, and aside from the crappy manufactured...well...crap, I did like the platform. I'm very well acquitted with the internals and cleaning (thank you Hesse) and they are cheaper to shoot using steel cased ammo. Something I'm very hesitant with the FAL.

The FAL is a little more ergonomically friendly. The iron sights are okay, but the accuracy wasn't great unless I did hand loads. Easy with the FAL; good luck with the brass on the HK91. And again, my working knowledge of the FAL is on par with the 91.

The M1A I'm familiar with from my M1 days, but I've never fired a full on M1A/M-14..

I'm going to be putting a scope on it, and a check rest, but I don't know which one I'd be comfortable with.

I'm looking for a good support for parts, a good scope host, and good accuracy.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 12:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A 91 is going to be easiest to scope. I've owned all three, an ARS built FAL as well as a Genuine Brit L1A1, an LRB M25, and a few HK91's one of which is currently with Mike at TSC Machine being converted to a G3K for the ultimate cold war battle rifle.

In it's stock form the FAL edges out the 91 for ergonomics. But since you want a scope and cheek rest the 91 is going to offer the most versatility. Plus of the three, the HK91 is a good buy right now. I have picked up two pre-ban German guns for under $2,000 in the past year. Try that with a Belgian FAL, or even an Argie or Brazilian import. And don't get me started on the cost of mags, and parts for a G3. You really can't beat the surplus market for the 91.

In terms of irons, of the three I prefer the diopter of the 91, they are fast at close range and accurate enough for hits out a few hundred yards. The FALs sights work but aren't as fast or robust, the M14s sights are fantastic, but if I want precision I am scoping it.

I enjoy me LRB but it's nowhere near the other two for practical use. It's front heavy and nowhere near the other two in terms of shooting on the move. Although mine is specifically designed to use a scope, with mounts built right into the receiver. Most of them are not like that.

As for "good accuracy" I don't know what you consider good accuracy but 2-3 MOA is on par for a cold war battle rifle. Some do better or worse but it's luck of the draw.
    Last edited by freeride1; 11-08-19 at 09:52.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ergonomics !

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So, don't do steel case in a FAL. Last time I did, Mark Graham at ARS had to remove the barrel, and run a reamer through the chamber to remove the casing that had flow formed itself to the chamber wall. Upside is Wolf covered his cost as an apology to me.

I still have mine, but I'd be looking at a AR10 or something of that vein if you're looking for an accurate, old school but upgradable MBR.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Double tap.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    91 to G3 conversion done by TSC. Did this and love it. I have a burst lower on it and switch a sear pack and a semi pack out depending on what I want to do. Add an A3 stock and it looks badass.

Keep an A2 stock if you want to shoot for groups.

A3 stock and burst lower just scream cool AF.

You could even have Mike weld on a Pic rail which would help with optic mounting. Even without the Pic rail there are several excellent mounts for 91's these days. With irons and doing your part you could see 1.5-2MOA at 100yds. Many prefer to use 200yd. aperture for 100yds.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Best answer is a real 91 AND a STG-58.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    On the lone PRAR-rie? L1A1.

Having owned one, and an HK91, I love both. But in flat, rural, wide-open spaces, it's the L1A1.

Living in the urban cessmaze NOW, I have a PTR-91. But still having the mags, makes it a NO-brainer.

Did I mention the L1A1 yet?
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hmmm are you looking to go "Old School" or something newer? If your gonna go double duty and hunt w/ a Semi in 7.62/.308 then Id recoomend a FN SCAR-H or Daniel Defense/LMT/Colt AR10 type in 7.62/.308. If yor looking "old school" cool, the DSA FAL. I own all 3 mentioned and all have been reliable to a "T" and great in accuracy. The DSA FAL just fits me better FWIW

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast