Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NF ATACR 1x8

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I had an ATACR 1-8 the summer they came out.

I liked a lot about it except the ocular that turns with the magnification. That's a bigger pain in the ass on an AR than I ever thought it would be.
    I've used an NX8 1-8 but not an ATACR 1-8. Out of curiosity, what do you mean by the ocular that turns with the magnification being a pain in the ass?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    I've used an NX8 1-8 but not an ATACR 1-8. Out of curiosity, what do you mean by the ocular that turns with the magnification being a pain in the ass?
    The whole ocular bell turns instead of magnification ring. When changing magnification the cap would always be in the way of the charging handle or the level. Was super annoying. Not near as annoying on a bolt gun.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    I think it's true for all ATACRs, the whole rear ocular turns when changing magnification instead of a separate magnification ring in front of the ocular assembly.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I think it's true for all ATACRs, the whole rear ocular turns when changing magnification instead of a separate magnification ring in front of the ocular assembly.

True, as well as with the full sized NXS’s. If not using lens covers, I’ve not really been bothered. Forgetting to rotate covers after changing magnification (assuming they rotate at all) can tie up the bolt on a bolt action, charging handles an AR’s, etc

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    True, as well as with the full sized NXS’s. If not using lens covers, I’ve not really been bothered. Forgetting to rotate covers after changing magnification (assuming they rotate at all) can tie up the bolt on a bolt action, charging handles an AR’s, etc
    I had heard that, I only have NXS compacts and NX-8s, so I've never used one extensively.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    The whole ocular bell turns instead of magnification ring. When changing magnification the cap would always be in the way of the charging handle or the level. Was super annoying. Not near as annoying on a bolt gun.
    Ah, I've experienced that, albeit mostly with hunting optics on bolt guns. Super, super annoying...

Feedback Score
    Curious what you more experienced guys think about the ATACR having capped turrets and the NX8 being exposed. Is this because the ATACR is FFP and being a 1-8 they expect you would make reticle adjustments instead of twisting dials? I think I’d prefer a capped windage and locked elevation like on my 4-16 ATACR personally. It’s the best of both worlds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Life's a Hillary View Post
    Curious what you more experienced guys think about the ATACR having capped turrets and the NX8 being exposed. Is this because the ATACR is FFP and being a 1-8 they expect you would make reticle adjustments instead of twisting dials? I think I’d prefer a capped windage and locked elevation like on my 4-16 ATACR personally. It’s the best of both worlds.
    ATACR is designed for military/hard use, where capped turrets for an LPVO are preferred. Mil/leo customers can actually get the NX8 with capped turrets if they want. I'm guessing Nightforce just figured civilian NX8 customers would prefer exposed turrets. You may be able to find a used capped turret version of the NX8 if you look around. Or, if you're mil or leo, contact Nightforce about their discount program and you can buy one new.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyM3 View Post
    ATACR is designed for military/hard use, where capped turrets for an LPVO are preferred. Mil/leo customers can actually get the NX8 with capped turrets if they want. I'm guessing Nightforce just figured civilian NX8 customers would prefer exposed turrets. You may be able to find a used capped turret version of the NX8 if you look around. Or, if you're mil or leo, contact Nightforce about their discount program and you can buy one new.
    Gotcha, thanks. I’m no gunfighter myself, just a hunter that likes to play around with the fun stuff from time to time.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Life's a Hillary View Post
    NX8 is FFP as well

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast