Thread: Covid 19 Sci/med discussions only

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    So for the last year (following my knee replacements) I have taken an 81mg low-dose aspirin every day. It should be well-disseminated through my system at this point. Would that be a "plus" if I was unfortunate enough to contract COVID?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    So for the last year (following my knee replacements) I have taken an 81mg low-dose aspirin every day. It should be well-disseminated through my system at this point. Would that be a "plus" if I was unfortunate enough to contract COVID?
    Got a buddy, mid-40s, with a bad case of COVID. He should have been hospitalized due to oxygen levels alone if not for the general overcrowding (bad timing on his part). I expect he will be out of work for at least a month until he can return to Work from Home.

He is taking 81mg of aspirin on doctor’s direction to reduce the clotting risk, along with a slew of other drugs. My working assumption is any moderate anti clotting approach, under medical direction, is wise these days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Got a buddy, mid-40s, with a bad case of COVID. He should have been hospitalized due to oxygen levels alone if not for the general overcrowding (bad timing on his part). I expect he will be out of work for at least a month until he can return to Work from Home.

He is taking 81mg of aspirin on doctor’s direction to reduce the clotting risk, along with a slew of other drugs. My working assumption is any moderate anti clotting approach, under medical direction, is wise these days.
    Although COVID wasn't why I started taking the low-dose aspirin, it can't help but be a side benefit.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Although COVID wasn't why I started taking the low-dose aspirin, it can't help but be a side benefit.
    The half-life of an 81mg ASA is about 20 minutes, but platelets cannot generate new COX for the duration of that platelet, which is about 10 days. As an agent to prevent clots it is marginal-to-OK in efficacy; for existing clots, it does nothing (it's function is to make platelets less sticky and less prone to sticking and clotting). But it's cheap and it's readily available, and safer than anticoagulants/blood-thinners. Aside from allergy and side effects, there's no real down-side to aspirin.