Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms Platinum Series 1-8x Any input

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Primary Arms Platinum Series 1-8x Any input

This looks like a nice scope. Any input? I am also looking at the Trijicon Accupower 1-8. Any thoughts.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Good glass in my opinion.
    It works OK on a 16" .308 adequately- but I limit range to 600 yds. with this gun.
    (I've gone to MIL/MIL scopes on all "Tactical" (groan) bolt/gas guns. Commonality of equipment, with the guys I shoot with, makes speaking the same language easier for both spotter/shooter.)

Downside(s):
    It's a boat anchor. A 2# scope is more appropriately a 3-15X/5-25X.
    Not crazy about the reticle. In theory it's a great idea, in practice I've yet to find a ranging/ACSS reticle that keys with the actual load I'm using.
    The 1-8 tries to be a "Jack of all trades" and in reality is a "Master of none".

I've gone with 2-10's/2.5-12's for mid-range guns that the 1-8X would seemingly fill.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Poor resale value (like pretty much everything Primary Arms branded).

In that price range I'd go Trijicon 1-8x Accupower everyday of the week and twice on Sundays if you must have 1-8x.

If 1-6 is acceptable look at Vortex Razor and PST Gen 2 options.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It is a fantastic scope, and I’m not sure where anyone would think the resale value has any affect on what kind of scope it is. If you are looking for a very solid 1-8 FFP, with darn good glass, this scope is for you. I have one, and have had it for several months. I’ve had it on several different 5.56 guns, and it now resides on my 16” gasser .308. On Saturday I was hitting steel at 850 yds with that rifle scope combo. The ACSS reticle is absolutely top shelf, and is VERY, VERY easy to use. You can measure/range with it, you can hold for wind with it, and the illumination is far more than just daylight bright. The scopes I run on my SPR rifles are a NightForce NX8, a NightForce ATACR 1-8, and the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8. So, I am NO stranger to very high quality glass. The Platinum line is made in Japan, not the Philippines, or China. It is manufactured by LOW, the SAME company that builds the Razor 1-6, the Leupold MK6, and several of NightForce’s offerings. Granted, LOW builds to the customers specs, but my point is, they KNOW how to build a scope. If you don’t like the ACSS, you can get a straight Mil reticle. As far as weight, it is 21oz. The Vortex Razor is heavier, a 1-6, and a SFP. So, I see nothing the Razor does better. In fact, I had a Razor, as well as a Burris XTRII 1-8. I sold them to fund my ATACR 1-8. I kept the Primary Arms Platinum though. I GENUINELY feel it is a superior scope to most anything in that class/price point. Is it as good as my NF ATACR 1-8? No, but it is $1300, not $2500.
    MrGunsandGear did a review on You Tube. Give it a watch. He feels about it much like I do.
    I probably sound like a fanboy, I’m not really, I’m a self admitted NF and Schmidt & Bender fan. However, the Platinum series can damn sure hold their own with some nice scopes. At a great price point.

ETA: I’ve shot the Trijicon and at full power, the reticle is far too thick. That isn’t just my opinion, many other folks have mentioned it. Generally I’m a fan of Trijicon, but on that one, the reticle is a no go.
    Last edited by Vegasshooter; 07-03-18 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    It is a fantastic scope, and I’m not sure where anyone would think the resale value has any affect on what kind of scope it is. If you are looking for a very solid 1-8 FFP, with darn good glass, this scope is for you. I have one, and have had it for several months. I’ve had it on several different 5.56 guns, and it now resides on my 16” gasser .308. On Saturday I was hitting steel at 850 yds with that rifle scope combo. The ACSS reticle is absolutely top shelf, and is VERY, VERY easy to use. You can measure/range with it, you can hold for wind with it, and the illumination is far more than just daylight bright. The scopes I run on my SPR rifles are a NightForce NX8, a NightForce ATACR 1-8, and the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8. So, I am NO stranger to very high quality glass. The Platinum line is made in Japan, not the Philippines, or China. It is manufactured by LOW, the SAME company that builds the Razor 1-6, the Leupold MK6, and several of NightForce’s offerings. Granted, LOW builds to the customers specs, but my point is, they KNOW how to build a scope. If you don’t like the ACSS, you can get a straight Mil reticle. As far as weight, it is 21oz. The Vortex Razor is heavier, a 1-6, and a SFP. So, I see nothing the Razor does better. In fact, I had a Razor, as well as a Burris XTRII 1-8. I sold them to fund my ATACR 1-8. I kept the Primary Arms Platinum though. I GENUINELY feel it is a superior scope to most anything in that class/price point. Is it as good as my NF ATACR 1-8? No, but it is $1300, not $2500.
    MrGunsandGear did a review on You Tube. Give it a watch. He feels about it much like I do.
    I probably sound like a fanboy, I’m not really, I’m a self admitted NF and Schmidt & Bender fan. However, the Platinum series can damn sure hold their own with some nice scopes. At a great price point.

ETA: I’ve shot the Trijicon and at full power, the reticle is far too thick. That isn’t just my opinion, many other folks have mentioned it. Generally I’m a fan of Trijicon, but on that one, the reticle is a no go.
    Nice write up. Thanks man.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not that I can provide much input, but felt it important to state how much of an expert anecdotal opinion Vegas provides.

Had another thread going about variable optics and gained much knowledge from you.

Thanks on behalf of the community for your time on writeups and indepth experience.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Not that I can provide much input, but felt it important to state how much of an expert anecdotal opinion Vegas provides.

Had another thread going about variable optics and gained much knowledge from you.

Thanks on behalf of the community for your time on writeups and indepth experience.
    Thank you very much. I appreciate that. I just happen to be in a position to shoot many of these scopes. When we, as an agency, decided to start moving towards approving LPV’s, I got very immersed in them. I am the kind of trainer that won’t recommend anything to people that I haven’t tested, and would not run myself.
    The low powered variable market can be overwhelming. I’m glad to share my experience when and where I can.

Thank you again for the compliment.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    It’s an accupower with a better reticle. They’re awesome. I’ve taken one out to 600 yards using the ACSS reticle and the glass is exceptional. My thoughts mirror vegasshooters.
    Last edited by VIP3R 237; 07-04-18 at 20:27.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    I believe they are coming out with two new reticles. One is an improved chevron ACSS, the other a mil Christmas tree. Not entirely sure about the timeline.

Looks like they have a blem sale and the original ACSS is available for under 1k, if you're looking for a steal.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    It’s an accupower with a better reticle. They’re awesome. I’ve taken one out to 600 yards using the ACSS reticle and the glass is exceptional. My thoughts mirror vegasshooters.
    I have the PA and have used the Trijicon a little. From what I've seen this is indeed the case. The PA also has less bleed when illuminated. It's not that the AccuPower is bad; just that they're both good with the PA having a better reticle for most ARs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast