Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Firing an AR Inside With No Hearing Protection

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Where does an 18" 12 gauge fit in all of this?

john
    I have blasted my 870 and M1a while in my 23' RV, it is not fun but I had to check it out and I'm already pretty much deaf from doing similar stupid shit so wtf.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    What?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    Where does an 18" 12 gauge fit in all of this?

john
    Pretty much in the same category as the AR. Sucks but done once and I doubt you'll ever notice any permanent damage.

When I was young and dumb.... almost 29 years ago. ..we used to shoot inside an abandoned movie theater every once in a while. Those rooms are sound proof. Over the course of a few years I shot in there 22, 380, 38spl/357, 9, 40, 45, 44mag, 50AE, 7.62x39, 7.62x54, 308, 12G, 45LC. Some were shot more than others.

Don't know how to describe the feeling. It's not painful but definitely unpleasant. Afterwards feels like there is something clogging your ear along with this feeling of pressure.

I'm sure damage has been done but I wouldn't know to what extent. I can still hear great. Can hear someone watching a video on their cell phone in another room while the tv is on, can hear my neighbors outside even on the other side of the house with the tv, during heavy rain I can hear water dripping from the roof onto the metal meter box. Ive taken hearing tests and passed with flying colors and So hearing is fine but I'm sure it would be better had I not done that stuff in the past. How much better though??????

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    So the solution is a 9mm Carbine?

I had an ND with an SKS indoors many years ago. It was a loud "pop" and my ears rang for a few hours, but I don't think it led to significant long-term hearing damage.

I really wish there were an SME on this subject. It comes up often enough and there's usually a ton of speculation about it.
    Yep. This is where a pistol calibered carbine shines although some think it's a toy. I deliberately fired one without ear pro at an indoor range to see how loud it is. It's loud but it isn't bad. I'd much prefer it to a rifle indoors any day if the week.

The whole using a rifle indoors came about after CQB teams starting using them and it became cool for civilians. What many don't realize is that those teams use ear pro with coms. That's not something most have and isn't ideal to put them on when things happen quickly indoors.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Uh no. I am not aware of any professionals who call them toys. What is a CQB team? LE has used rifles for years, they became more popular after 9/11 and the sunset of the Assault Weapons Ban.

Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    Yep. This is where a pistol calibered carbine shines although some think it's a toy. I deliberately fired one without ear pro at an indoor range to see how loud it is. It's loud but it isn't bad. I'd much prefer it to a rifle indoors any day if the week.

The whole using a rifle indoors came about after CQB teams starting using them and it became cool for civilians. What many don't realize is that those teams use ear pro with coms. That's not something most have and isn't ideal to put them on when things happen quickly indoors.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Uh no. I am not aware of any professionals who call them toys. What is a CQB team? LE has used rifles for years, they became more popular after 9/11 and the sunset of the Assault Weapons Ban.
    Read the other thread on here about PCC's. You have many that think that here.

And I never said they never rifles for CQB. Some did but PCC'S were much more prevalent in the past.
    Last edited by wtm75; 07-14-18 at 04:14.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wtm75 View Post
    Read the other thread on here about PCC's. You have many that think that here.

And I never said they never rifles for CQB. Some did but PCC'S were much more prevalent in the past.
    Many on this forum bought their PCC's as range toys, so spent less than a Angstadt. For me it's the weapon that's relegates it to the range toy, not the caliber. Almost anything fired inside a bedroom is not gonna be pleasant. You may consider a set of Peltor Comtacs, which amplify things you need to hear and make rifles almost pleasant. You will still have to deal with blast and flash.................life is a series of compromises.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    In the back of the safe, waiting to be fitted with a longer barrel for bird hunting.
    Yep. If the birds rise up and attack, I'll dig out the bird gun from the back of the safe I almost never open.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Yep. If the birds rise up and attack, I'll dig out the bird gun from the back of the safe I almost never open.
    That's all shotguns are good for. I can't stand them. Other than shooting birds, which I don't do, I can see no reason to EVER pick up a shotgun, if their is anything else. I would use me ruger 22/45 Mk3 for protection before a shotgun.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Had a friend set off his 12ga inside his apartment once, while clearing it. It had about an 18" barrel. It was kinda loud, but not as bad as I expected. Maybe it was the surprise.
    On another instance, someone fired a 44mag in the house, it, too was an ND. That was pretty loud.
    Other than that, I've shot rifles, shotguns, and pistols indoors and in vehicles, but with earpro.

I will say this, 3 20rd mags of 7.62 x 51 out of a 16" fal with a 3 chambered tank brake on it inside a school bus is very nearly an out of body experience. It felt like a very strong individual was boxing my ears with every shot.
    A friend outside the bus swore it bulged a little with each round.
    I did blow all the trash out of it.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast