Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How do we motivate people to get proper CCW training?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Psybain View Post
    Part of the problem is a lot of ranges (at least in my part of NC) are far away, like someone else mentioned, and the closest ones to me don't let me draw from my holster. If you even mention it to the RSO, he looks at you like you're some kind of domestic terrorist. just allowing me to practice drawing from my holster and shooting would help greatly.
    We are lucky that there are at least two indoor gun ranges that will let you draw from a holster if you can prove you are not a dumbass. But most ranges won't let you draw from a holster- heck most won't let you shoot more than controlled pairs and the state range is like 5 seconds between shots. All not really condusive to putting down a threat.

I think glock2go has it right. We are rational, economic creatures. Most of us will never be in a gun fight and being armed is a huge advantage over being unarmed. To some that small risk is worth the investment in time.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    If you can figure out how to get people to make an honest AND accurate self assessment then, by no exaggeration what so ever, you could probably solve ALL the problems in the world. I'd bet everything I own and ever will own on that statement.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)

Scare the crap out of people!

Another way to motivate people to pursue advanced CCW training would be to use fear. I really like the idea of offering a free training course with the option to purchase follow-on courses in a training series covering topics already mentioned above. As a part of that complimentary first course, class participants should engage in a Tueller Drill to expose them to the shocking reality of what could happen to them in a real-world scenario and the skill needed to overcome such a situation. I would think that this would be a very "eye opening" experience for most people. Maybe enough to scare them into making the commitment required to attain proficiency with a firearm or to help them realize that they really don't want that responsibility like they originally thought.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by donlapalma View Post
    Another way to motivate people to pursue advanced CCW training would be to use fear. I really like the idea of offering a free training course with the option to purchase follow-on courses in a training series covering topics already mentioned above. As a part of that complimentary first course, class participants should engage in a Tueller Drill to expose them to the shocking reality of what could happen to them in a real-world scenario and the skill needed to overcome such a situation. I would think that this would be a very "eye opening" experience for most people. Maybe enough to scare them into making the commitment required to attain proficiency with a firearm or to help them realize that they really don't want that responsibility like they originally thought.
    I pondered this tactic myself. Have students perform a self-defense drill at the beginning of the class to show them how they lack the necessary skills. At the end, have them do it again and demonstrate how they have (hopefully) progressed. This will take care of purse-carry of pistols, clothing choice, gun choice, trigger control, etc.
    Last edited by 1911-A1; 09-30-12 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineteenkilo View Post
    First and foremost, you have a to establish a tangible need that gun owners can understand.

A legal requirement from a state does NOT do this in any way. It simply looks like a way for the local gubment to make more money by sucking fees out of those dumb enough to want to carry a gun.

The above quote establishes such a need.
    Believe it or not, but most gun owners do not see a need of any kind to train, at all. They laugh at the concept of mindset and situational awareness. This has been my experience with most gun owners locally.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    Believe it or not, but most gun owners do not see a need of any kind to train, at all. They laugh at the concept of mindset and situational awareness. This has been my experience with most gun owners locally.
    This has been my experience, too. They think that their gun is some kind of magical object that will cause evil doers to run screaming at the sight of it.

They're the same ones who think that the sound of a shotgun pump will make robbers tremble in fear, and compel them to abandon their designs.

They also think that because they can shoot their pistols and rifles at stationary targets, that don't shoot back, they have the necessary weapon skills to handle any situation.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Feedback Score
    As glocktogo pointed out, just carrying a gun, or having a gun in the house is a huge advantage. non-trained and not practiced shooters do a good job quite frequently. The story of the little old lady ending a bad guy is not uncommon. My late grandmother ended a home invasion once by showing she had a gun, (Chiefs special I think that hadn't been shot in 10-15 years) The only time I ever used a gun in self defense the only thing I did was pul up my shirt and show it.

I mostly train and practice because I enjoy it- I enjoy the camaraderie of my shooting buddies. I am well beyond what most CCWers are- I see a need but it is not the need that drives me. And I would sincerely like to see every honest citizen close to where I am.

To that end I would like to see more people involved in the competitive shooting sports. This is really where I got the draw-shoot-move-reload thing down. I would like to see less game driven shooting and more skill and defensive scenario driven shooting. I have stopped shooting my local pistol matches because what it has morphed in to.

I would also like to see a whole lot more basic training offered- here is how you draw a gun, here is how you press out and shoot accurately-etc. I think a couple of hours on the range and a couple of hundred rounds next to an experienced shooter goes a long way. The cost benefit is through the roof in comparison to some other training. It seems you would sell that a lot more than all day classes that cost a couple of hundred and a few hundred in ammo. (But then we have tried that at our range and failed)

I was at the range this AM doing facing drills and failure to stop drills on one of our ranges. The cadence of fire actually draws people to watch us- I wish more people would come up and ask how to learn to shoot like that.
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Imagine the quality of CCWers we'd have if each possessed a solid understanding of the principles and effects of 1) treating all guns like they're loaded, 2) keeping fingers off triggers until deciding to shoot, and 3) pointing guns in safe directions.

I spend time with a lot of a new and novice gun owners checking out handguns for the first time, and/or are new CCWers. Gun safety, fundamentals of marksmanship, and gunfighting have common threads running throughout them, but each are particular aspects to CCWing that must be assessed and treated differently.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    I saw the need, hence why I've been in contact with you over the past year or so. Voodoo_Man has been gracious enough to show me some drills/form/etc to help me improve my (lack of) pistol skills.

Thanks again for your help thus far

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by White.Lightning View Post
    I saw the need, hence why I've been in contact with you over the past year or so. Voodoo_Man has been gracious enough to show me some drills/form/etc to help me improve my (lack of) pistol skills.

Thanks again for your help thus far
    You are definitely among the few. More often than not when I am at a range and I see guys doing something I try not to get into peoples business but everyone can learn a thing or two from someone outside their "circle." The attitude I normally get is "I got this" type ego chest thump.
    In many gun clubs and most areas there is usually one person, at least, that understands what needs to be learned, thosw people are priceless if they are willing to give up their time so others can learn.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast