Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: SBR suppressor advice

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    How many people are going to face an opponent with NVG, fire a couple magazines quick-ish, and still be combat effective while still facing a combat effective opponent?

But yes I think that is a dictionary worthy example of irony lol
    At that point I would imagine that you are probably exposed already but if you have someone tracking you with NODS, you have far greater problems that a glowing suppressor. I would also have to point out that hopefully you haven't mag dumped the thing and would be far enough away that it isn't super obvious. The one thing that NODs allow is for you stalk someone or something until the opportune time allows you to engage. Old SEAL adage, if you can't win a battle in 7 seconds or less, find another time to engage. I think it is more about picking your time to strike than anything else. In the unlikely event you are in an all out fire fight, I'm not your going to be worried about the popsicle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    I think it has to do with when you're running an IR illuminator and you get considerable reflection/bloom off of the suppressor body (which is forward of the illuminator), and you see in your NV equipment. So it is a function of the IR reflective properties of the can materials/finish. People put a shield there, move the illuminator to a different clock location on the rails, etc. to manage it.

So it's not an issue with a hot suppressor throwing off IR, but the IR illuminator reflection off of the suppressor. Bare titanium vs cerakote, etc.

I'm not in the NVG club so this is just something I read somewhere. Non issue for me.
    Yeah no. They would be more attracted by the lightsaber of IR your illuminator is throwing than any refection. It's the heat sink glow some are referring to. Just sayin. Now a big bloom off some part of your own equipment and interfering with your vision, that's a different issue.

As for folks thinking this is an important deciding factor, again no. Not unless you are a procurement officer for HSLD pointy types. Even at that it's a pretty negligible concern for an extremely small number of combatants.

"Quieter" cans trap more gas longer, and heat up sooner. "Louder" cans take longer to heat up to the temp threshold to emit an IR signature but will still do so at some point.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilk73 View Post
    I wanted a surefire rc2 mini. Why? Because of it's back pressure reduction and flash suppression. On a 5.56 you're not going to get a great sound reduction.

I ended up getting a Sico saker k because it was in stock. It's great but I long for a rc2 mini lol
    I have a direct thread Saker K and would love to grab one to add a KeyMo mount.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I have a direct thread Saker K and would love to grab one to add a KeyMo mount.
    FYI, a Saker K with Key-Mo is about the exact same size as a RC2 if it matters. Very nice QD system, though

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Yeah no. They would be more attracted by the lightsaber of IR your illuminator is throwing than any refection. It's the heat sink glow some are referring to. Just sayin. Now a big bloom off some part of your own equipment and interfering with your vision, that's a different issue.

As for folks thinking this is an important deciding factor, again no. Not unless you are a procurement officer for HSLD pointy types. Even at that it's a pretty negligible concern for an extremely small number of combatants.

"Quieter" cans trap more gas longer, and heat up sooner. "Louder" cans take longer to heat up to the temp threshold to emit an IR signature but will still do so at some point.
    Wasn't talking about someone else seeing you. Talking about looking with NV through your sighting system with IR illuminator on, and the illuminator creating an IR bloom/reflection off the suppressor body in your field of view. Again something I read somewhere about this being an issue and not an issue for me.

IME all (5.56) suppressors get hot fast. Can't imagine volume making a significant difference in how fast they heat up. There just isn't much mass there to absorb the heat so the thin body heats up fast.
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 06-10-21 at 13:40.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Wasn't talking about someone else seeing you. Talking about looking with NV through your sighting system with IR illuminator on, and the illuminator creating an IR bloom/reflection off the suppressor body in your field of view. Again something I read somewhere about this being an issue.
    It can be. As a user of a fat oversized K can, I’d say thats more of a setup issue, though. Treat it like suppressor shadow with a visible light, except that an IR illuminator should have less spill, making it less of a problem.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wasn't talking about someone else seeing you. Talking about looking with NV through your sighting system with IR illuminator on, and the illuminator creating an IR bloom/reflection off the suppressor body in your field of view. Again something I read somewhere about this being an issue and not an issue for me.

IME all (5.56) suppressors get hot fast. Can't imagine volume making a significant difference in how fast they heat up. There just isn't much mass there to absorb the heat so the thin body heats up fast.
    Never had that problem even with the illuminator kicked into high gear. Maybe paint the can with a non reflective paint? I think Aervo qualifies. Yea it's going to burn off pretty quick, but it's only five dollars a can so...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I’ve never had to warranty my Surefire suppressor, or mounts.
    Well, I guess our local PD has warrantied enough for you and them.

I haven't had to send my Omega back for anything. I broke the end cap on my Warlock through dumbassery and they were quite prompt.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Well, I guess our local PD has warrantied enough for you and them.

I haven't had to send my Omega back for anything. I broke the end cap on my Warlock through dumbassery and they were quite prompt.
    I had to send my Omega back after the first range trip. The coating was bubbling off. They said it was typical for the coating to become discolored, but it shouldn't bubble off. They had it back to me very fast, and the coating has been fine since.

The other issue I had was the outer tube coming unscrewed. Also not a big deal, but kind of annoying. They said to screw it back on with red loctite. I had assumed rocksett would be ideal due to the temps, but that's what they suggested and said they used (which may explain why it came off in the first place).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post

I think what you are saying has alot of merit. If you are walking around with your “light saber” on than you really aren’t using the ir correctly anyway. The same reason you don’t just walk around with a white light on. It is used quickly and intermittently to check and Id a target and back off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast