Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Twas the biggest fear. Good news is I should be mobile and done with work.duties around 330 local time there. Should have time to check out Raleigh and Greenville. Will be there about a week.

ETA:
    As for barbecue, with that kind if claim, I feel obligated to try it now. Haha.
    There are lots of great barbecue joints; B's and Parker's in Greenville, The Pit in Raleigh. Both cities have some awesome microbrews/pubs. Both cities have colleges (NC State in Raleigh, East Carolina Univ in Greenville), so there's a college scene, too.

What dates will you be in NC?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Got plans for the 22nd thru the week and Nov5th thru that week. Fly in Sunday afternoon, Fly out Friday afternoon in both cases. Facilitating the onboarding of a third party company.

Thanks for all your advice too, will enjoy checking these cities out. I've heard Raleigh is a cool place to check out.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 10-19-17 at 09:40.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Got plans for the 22nd thru the week and Nov5th thru that week. Fly in Sunday afternoon, Fly out Friday afternoon in both cases. Facilitating the onboarding of a third party company.

Thanks for all your advice too, will enjoy checking these cities out. I've heard Raleigh is a cool place to check out.
    Are you actually flying into the little landing strip known as Rocky Mount/Wilson airport?

Raleigh is a cool city; pretty pedestrian friendly but some seedy areas. It spreads out quite a bit so you need to be judicious about planning where exactly you want to go. Also urban as in soccer-mom-strip-mall urban. But, some very nice restaurants and pubs. If you are into wine, the Angus Barn is one of the best places on the east coast. The steak there is pretty great as well, and pricey.

Feedback Score
    As I'm spending my winter in New Bern Nc. What exactly is the definition of Cold there along the coast?
    How long does it stay that way, week month ?
    People say the 40 above zero is a bitter cold because it humid, thoughts?
    I'm coming from Jackson, Wyoming cold to me is negative 10 or more for a month. which happens to be my cut off temp for working outside.
    Mainly because the diesel equipment won't start even if plugged in, My gas truck doesn't even want to start even when it's plugged in.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    As I'm spending my winter in New Bern Nc. What exactly is the definition of Cold there along the coast?
    I'm coming from Jackson, Wyoming cold to me is negative 10 or more for a month. which happens to be my cut off temp for working outside.
    Mainly because the diesel equipment won't start even if plugged in, My gas truck doesn't even want to start even when it's plugged in.
    When I moved down here from NY I was amazed by what people considered cold. I get away with a nice fleece or zip up. I never unpacked my winter clothes.
    It's awesome when it snows 1 inch and the whole world comes to a stop. Not many people have experience driving in it and there are very few plows so the roads get kinda nasty and freeze over.

Feedback Score
    That's sorta what i'm thinking, A more positive friend told me I Might have to wear a hoodie with my shorts for maybe a week in Jan. I think i can handle that..
    He went down to build his parents house farther inland and said construction workers stop outside work at 32 degrees give or take.
    that's a heat wave. Wyoming Women break out sundresses at those temps...LOL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    Not on the coast it's milder but more humid there.

Generally if it gets to freezing during the day it never lasts more than a week straight. Makes it difficult to acclimatize to.

People will be complaining as soon as it gets below 60. You will see stocking hats, gloves, and scarves likely.

Born here and back after 2 decades in AK. I've had my polypros on to sit out in the morning a couple times. Hoodies otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    When I moved down here from NY I was amazed by what people considered cold. I get away with a nice fleece or zip up. I never unpacked my winter clothes.
    It's awesome when it snows 1 inch and the whole world comes to a stop. Not many people have experience driving in it and there are very few plows so the roads get kinda nasty and freeze over.
    Its not the snow but the under layer of ICE.
    Typically we get snow mixed with ice.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Are you actually flying into the little landing strip known as Rocky Mount/Wilson airport?

Raleigh is a cool city; pretty pedestrian friendly but some seedy areas. It spreads out quite a bit so you need to be judicious about planning where exactly you want to go. Also urban as in soccer-mom-strip-mall urban. But, some very nice restaurants and pubs. If you are into wine, the Angus Barn is one of the best places on the east coast. The steak there is pretty great as well, and pricey.
    Landing in at RDU. Thankfully I will be carrying there and will be traveling with my firearm.

So, while I always keep a sharp eye for rough areas when somewhere new, it's a better preset if if I stumble into the wrong area.

Nonetheless, I will get some time to peruse Raleigh a couple evenings and will have to try some of the places. I will take your Angus Barn suggestion. It's not much, but the 40 dollar daily food stipend makes me a little less frugal. Haha.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I visited the Wilmington area this summer and had a great time. Super friendly people (compared to where I live) and lots of great sites and places to eat. One nice thing was having relatively similar CC laws all the way there and back, so no hassle with stowing and un-loading mags.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast