Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of a Pistol Caliber Carbine?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Benefits of a Pistol Caliber Carbine?

I did try to use the search feature, but came up empty (possibly due to the grossly outdated browser on my work computer); so if this has been addressed, I sincerely apologize.

Lately, I've become intrigued by pistol caliber carbines. I'm not really sure why. I've tossed around the idea of building one, but I don't want to put anything into something for which I'm not going to have a purpose. So, what are the benefits of having PCC vs standard SBR or the like? I've been trying to think of a situation or circumstances where it would be better to have a pistol round than a rifle round, but I'm coming up short. Like I said, I have limited experience with PCCs, so I'm not certain of which applications would be better suited to them than SBRs. I know that at a few LE agencies still use Colt SMGs and/or MP5s, but from what I understand, that's due to very specific circumstances and for specific applications. I'm talking about the utility of using a PCC for a truck gun or HD. Thanks in advance; I'm all ears.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have competed with a PCC in USPSA and Steel Challenge, and have experience with multiple MPX and AR9 carbines, both custom and JP models. They are great for competition, great for training on steel, but my experience is they are very much less reliable than a well built 5.56 AR. I would not choose a MPX or AR9 for self defense if a rifle caliber AR was an option.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For me it was cheaper 9mm for short range training and preservation of my AR500 targets. And they are a lot of fun to shoot also!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Some ranges have caliber restrictions so you can train on an AR format but stay caliber safe for the range.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So, what I'm gathering so far is that they are great for inexpensive, possibly range specific training; but not so useful outside of that? Like I said, in very specific tactical applications, I can see their use; but I'll probably never find myself in that type of situation on the street, in my house, in my car, etc.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Misses. This is not an issue that many bring up, instead talking about over-penetration, or lack thereof, with the rifle cartridges.

In an urban environment a miss with a PCC has a shorter downrange lethal zone than a miss with a rifle.

Of course, the trade off for that 'safety' is decreased effectiveness when compared to the rifle cartridge.

HD-wise, the decibel difference between a PCC and an SBR is significant.

Anything you use for HD ought to be 100% reliable. Whether your PCC meets that criteria should be a consideration.

Another consideration is the likelihood of encountering armored assailants.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-01-19 at 22:07.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Misses. This is not an issue that many bring up, instead talking about over-penetration, or lack thereof, with the rifle cartridges.

In an urban environment a miss with a PCC has a shorter downrange lethal zone than a miss with a rifle.

Of course, the trade off for that 'safety' is decreased effectiveness when compared to the rifle cartridge.

HD-wise, the decibel difference between a PCC and an SBR is significant.

Anything you use for HD ought to be 100% reliable. Whether your PCC meets that criteria should be a consideration.

Another consideration is the likelihood of encountering armored assailants.
    Are you, sir, implying that I might miss my target?

In all seriousness, though, that is the main reason at least one federal agency I know of still uses them; and that is very good point.

If I do decide on one, I want to build it. I'll have to skim the custom build forum and the pistol/PCC forum for a while.

Thank you all.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5whiskey View Post
    Are you, sir, implying that I might miss my target?
    Not in the least, Devil Dog.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Another advantage for a PCC would be ammo compatibility with your handgun of choice

Feedback Score
    I always thought that pcc>pistol - period.
    When pcc came to uspsa, I thought they would dominate. They don’t IME, people tend to shoot in their class regardless of gun. That said, I haven’t done a side by side, I’m sure it’s better if you are proficient with both, but it’s not a huge advantage from what I’ve seen especially out to 30yds or so. Longer strings of fire per target and/or distance would likely favor a carbine.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-02-19 at 13:23.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast