Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: nitride vs chrome phosphate

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've nearly completely converted to (C158) Nitride BCGs. To me, it's a no brainer. Increased hardness, natural lubricity, increased corrosion resistance, molecular change of the (surface of the) metal itself as opposed to plating that can flake or affect tolerances, and ease of cleaning for someone that was once lower enlisted. I still use lube though. I've yet to experience any problems with them.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    I've nearly completely converted to (C158) Nitride BCGs. To me, it's a no brainer. Increased hardness, natural lubricity, increased corrosion resistance, molecular change of the (surface of the) metal itself as opposed to plating that can flake or affect tolerances, and ease of cleaning for someone that was once lower enlisted. I still use lube though. I've yet to experience any problems with them.
    Do you run a particular manufacturer/vendor's nitride BCG?

Andy

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    The thing about nitride is that it can’t do it’s thing if there are any impurities in the metal. Whereas a coating or plating doesn’t have this issue.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Do you run a particular manufacturer/vendor's nitride BCG?
    I bought 4 of Rainier Arms' Precision Match Nitride BCGs between two different $109.95~$119.95 sales.
    I also have 4 of Brownells' M16 MIL-SPEC MP HP BCGs that I bought for $99~$109 in sales, but they're discontinued now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    The thing about nitride is that it can’t do it’s thing if there are any impurities in the metal. Whereas a coating or plating doesn’t have this issue.
    I'd be more worried about the Heat Treater/Nitrider doing the process(es) correctly.

And like everything else, you do your due dilligence and buy from a reputable company with a proven track record and a good warranty just in case.

Feedback Score
    I see more dimensional/efficiency issues with Nitride and NiB than any other treatments or coating. Nitride especially.

I don't know why, but what I see can be measured.

A treatment or coating that sheds lubricant is not always good thing in my book.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Why?

Love the Toolcraft NiB carriers and (Toolcraft supplied) bolts I have.
    The morphology of the coating tends to trap and hold fouling.
    It seems to be too brittle and can lead to crack propagation, and shortened life.
    The morphology leads to increased chipping and wear on the opposing part (if its not as hard) or of both parts (if both are NiB).

One and 2 was with a sample of one maNufactures bcg, so perhaps other platers produce different morphology that behaves differently, but not worth the risk IMO.

3 was from a study i found online.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-26-20 at 21:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    The morphology of the coating tends to trap and hold fouling.
    I stopped reading right there as that is just plain misinformation.

Toolcraft NiB does no such thing. Those coatings are literally slicker than snot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    I see more dimensional/efficiency issues with Nitride and NiB than any other treatments or coating. Nitride especially.

I don't know why, but what I see can be measured.

A treatment or coating that sheds lubricant is not always good thing in my book.
    Agree. I can have a regular Phosphate Schmid trigger and swap it for a NiB coated Schmid trigger and the pull weight will decrease every time. (or same thing with NiB coated hammers as compared to phosphate hammers made by the same company)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
    I do not see how that is possible with Nitride because of the treatment itself. That is a manufacturing problem, not a treatment problem.
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 07-27-20 at 21:19.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast