Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decided to build A2

Feedback Score

Decided to build A2

I moved to a town that has an Army base. One of the nice things living by a base is all the gun shops, surplus stores, and tactical shops. Browsing around I ran into a shop that had A2 stripped upper for sale cheap. It had the rear sight but that was it. I haven't seen many A2 uppers for sale so I bought it. Going down the road a gun shop had a set of A2 handguards and buttstock cheap so I bought those. Slowly I been buying small parts for this build. I even bought a silent A2 sling for a buck. I won a FN barrel on Gubbroker for my build.

Any one have ideas for lowers? I like to get a2 style. Several shops have lowers like Spikes, Anderson. I like to get a McKay but will have to order it.

My upper looks like it has M4 cuts. I'm hoping this FN barrel has the same cuts. It's the cage code marked barrel with non F marked front sight. Have to see when it comes in. Anyone know who made my upper? Here is some pictures:

I'll take more as I pick up parts and build.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Upper receiver:

Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises LLC
    Ferndale MI
    A square forge mark
    "Military Components"

http://1dealstop.net/steal/misc-rifle-components/

Upper manufacturers that use BAFE marked receivers:

Rock River
    Delton
    BCM
    CMMG
    Fail Zero
    CD Defense
    Colt

It is hard to tell what the feedramps are because the picture is too dark to tell. Some A2 receiver had extended carbine feedramps on the receiver. These are not M4 feedramps. Without seeing a better picture, it is hard to tell what you have.

As far as an A2 lower goes, the McKay Enterprises A2 lower (http://www.mckay-ent.com/ar15-m16/ar...-receiver.html) will be fine. If you want a better finished A2 lower, there is Nodak Spud (http://nodakspud.com/AR%20Lowers.htm). They are top notch when it comes to retro type lowers. They cost a little more, but are well worth it. Neither the McKay or the Nodak lowers have the tacky rollmarks. I built an A2 last year using a PSA Stealth lower (no rollmarks), but they no longer have those lowers.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I want a Nodak to build A1 retro oneday. I'll see if I can take better pictures now that the sun is out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ky View Post
    Thanks. I want a Nodak to build A1 retro oneday. I'll see if I can take better pictures now that the sun is out.
    Look forward to seeing the pics.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Those look like M4 feedramps from that angle. If your barrel is going to have M4 extension, you are in good shape. If the FN barrel has rifle extension, you are not in good shape. It is okay to use a barrel with M4 extension with an upper receiver that has no feedramps, but it is not okay to use a barrel with a rifle extensions with an upper receiver with M4 feedramps.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Looks like a new Spikes Tatical flattop upper I have so what I was afraid of.

I hope my barrel has M4 cuts if not I'll look for another upper. I thank you for the help!

Feedback Score
    Ultimately you could do a cool original a2 m16 rifle when it was introduced as the 1985 version with a A2 upper instead of a A1 upper if your looking at trying the not so common A2 model,which would look cool (even though you have most of the A2 furniture for it all ready.) either way have fun, out of interest how much do you have in this build?
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Colt Sp2 was like that. Had A1 upper on A2 lower. One day I'll get one of those or build one. They were still grey I bet.

70 for stock set with Colt A2 complete front sight and USGI side swivel.

80 for stripped upper with rear sight.

28 for Colt forward assist and 5 bucks for dust cover.

50 bucks for complete Colt trigger hammer etc.

65 for stripped USGI Colt BCG. 4 bucks for firing pin. Then bought a BCM bolt rebuild set so I have extra firing pin. Paid 20 for that.

190 for New USGI FN barrel.

70 for McKay lower.

15 bucks for Colt Delta Ring set and Colt A2 flashider with peel washers.

1.25 for USGI surplus sling.

8 bucks for bolt relise. Free mag relise. 18 for semi auto Colt selector.

I think that's it as far as parts I have. Still need more but can pick those up not hard to find.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Colt Sp2 was like that. Had A1 upper on A2 lower. image.jpgOne day I'll get one of those or build one. They were still grey I bet.
    No man this what I was issued in 1985 before I left the military.
    But it had complete A1 furniture but still had the A2 burst trigger (worst thing the Marines did along with the adoption of a 9mm Italian crap handgun.)
    image.jpg
    This what your talking about
    image.jpg
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast