Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What would you consider a split time on the ar-15 that show's "mastery"

Feedback Score
    Someone, please put me out of my misery and explain this. When shooting a target for speed or two or three targets, after a couple rounds of this your head memorizes where these targets are. Maybe not so you can aim with your eyes closed but where they are in the general 180 degree sweep in front of you. So for instance, after shooting the first one, you automatically pull the rifle toward the second and maybe without even looking. This seems a bit robotic to me.

I have never been in combat or have been confronted by someone with a gun but it seems to me that if there were multiple threats, you would not instinctively know their (even approximate) positions. You would have to scan and find them, then shoot. Am I wrong here?????

If not, they why the reliance in training on shooting the same targets in the same positions over and over?

Feedback Score

What would you consider a split time on the ar-15 that show's "mastery"

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Someone, please put me out of my misery and explain this. When shooting a target for speed or two or three targets, after a couple rounds of this your head memorizes where these targets are. Maybe not so you can aim with your eyes closed but where they are in the general 180 degree sweep in front of you. So for instance, after shooting the first one, you automatically pull the rifle toward the second and maybe without even looking. This seems a bit robotic to me.

I have never been in combat or have been confronted by someone with a gun but it seems to me that if there were multiple threats, you would not instinctively know their (even approximate) positions. You would have to scan and find them, then shoot. Am I wrong here?????

If not, they why the reliance in training on shooting the same targets in the same positions over and over?
    Those are performance standard to track your training. Not to get good at a given drill, but to make you better at transitions, teach you visual patience, etc.

These drills can make you better at field courses or in shoot houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lsllc; 11-13-19 at 13:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Those are performance standard to track your training. Not to get good at a given drill, but to make you better at transitions, teach you visual patience, etc.

These drills can make you better at field courses or in shoot houses.

So I am going to be "better" and impress some school I have paid 3K to attend who teaches exactly this? Sounds like a circular argument to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Am I wrong here?????

Maybe "wrong" isn't the correct term, but you are looking at it from a different perspective would be my guess.

Its done for the same reasons fighters practice drills.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    So I am going to be "better" and impress some school I have paid 3K to attend who teaches exactly this? Sounds like a circular argument to me.
    Like I said, it’s for tracking your progress and self evaluation.

If you don’t like standards, then don’t do them.

Feedback Score
    Like I said, it’s for tracking your progress and self evaluation.

If you don’t like standards, then don’t do them.

I do not rely on this sort of thing but sometimes I use multiple targets. What I am trying to get at is what are these standards good for if they really don't apply to self defense?

Feedback Score

What would you consider a split time on the ar-15 that show's "mastery"

I do not rely on this sort of thing but sometimes I use multiple targets. What I am trying to get at is what are these standards good for if they really don't apply to self defense?
    Either you’re not understanding what we’re saying, or you’re intentionally being difficult.

These standards are a way to track your progress as a shooter; a benchmark. They aren’t scenario practice. They measure your ability to perform specific things you may encounter.

These are not force on force or scenario training.

How are things like drawing, transitioning, and follow-up shots not applicable to self-defense shooting? Really? You don’t understand why getting better are those things make you better equipped to use your firearm in defense of self or others?

Last edited by lsllc; 11-13-19 at 18:27.

Feedback Score
    Either you’re not understanding what we’re saying, or you’re intentionally being difficult.

These standards are a way to track your progress as a shooter; a benchmark. They aren’t scenario practice. They measure your ability to perform specific things you may encounter.

These are not force on force or scenario training.

How are things like drawing, transitioning, and follow-up shots not applicable to self-defense shooting? Really? You don’t understand why getting better are those things make you better equipped to use your firearm in defense of self or others?

"They measure your ability to perform specific things you may encounter"

Have you ever encountered threats who stayed upright in the same position over and over, never moving, adjusting? Tell about five of such experiences. No, just pick the best one and tell me about it.

I do understand you are measuring something. But that something does not exist in reality so why train for it?
    Last edited by Dr. Bullseye; 11-13-19 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    Being able to move to one aiming point to another doesn’t help with a moving target. Ok, cool story.

Feedback Score
    "They measure your ability to perform specific things you may encounter"

Have you ever encountered threats who stayed upright in the same position over and over, never moving, adjusting? Tell about five of such experiences. No, just pick the best one and tell me about it.

I do understand you are measuring something. But that something does not exist in reality so why train for it?
    Standards are a test, not something you should train for. Its the same problem with current public education- wrong approach.

You should train everything, then run a few standards to see where you are...
    Train a few months , do some competitions that test a wide variety of skill, do some standards, evaluate, train weak areas... repeat.

Edit: what do you propose as a standard?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 11-13-19 at 21:41.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast