Thread: Buffer detent pin broke

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    This thread makes me think of this...
    https://truenortharms.com/products/a...uffer-retainer
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Yeah, the buffer detent isn't needed like said before.

It shouldn't have tied up the rifle, unless the little tit got some place it can't fit into like the FCG.

I had a National Match Service Rifle that for some reason, never discovered by me the liked to break them, four times. Everytime the little tit would end up in the FCG, of course during rapid fire.

I sold that rifle, without the detent, full disclosure to buyer. It ran fine without the buffer detent.

I never did figure out what was causing the breakage.... everything looked fine. But I can tell you that it ran without the buffer detent and after going down in a lag match, that's how I ran it until I sold it.

Feedback Score
    Some of you guys are full of crap, if the buffer doesn't run against the buffer detente then how can you close the AR when it is put together? How can you open the AR without the buffer flying out? How do you explain the detente marks on the buffer? No some of you need to go back to GS class/school. Yes the buffer detente does and will stop the buffer and will break/bend the detente.

rngr1

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balor View Post
    Some of you guys are full of crap, if the buffer doesn't run against the buffer detente then how can you close the AR when it is put together? How can you open the AR without the buffer flying out? How do you explain the detente marks on the buffer? No some of you need to go back to GS class/school. Yes the buffer detente does and will stop the buffer and will break/bend the detente.

rngr1
    So you are repeating the same thing 4-5 of us said (different words) after calling us out for doing it??? BTW, what is your first language? Maybe it's a translation thing.

Feedback Score

rngr1
    The hinge point is below the buffer and carrier plane of alignment. This allows the carrier to close onto the buffer face while simultaneously pushing the buffer rearwards and off of the dentent.

In simpler words, the detent holds the buffer when the ar is open. The bolt carrier holds the buffer when the ar is closed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The sheared off detent got mentioned in one of the Inrange videos and I think one or both of them stopped using the detent to eliminate the chance of it ending up in the fcg. Think they also were trying a JP captive unit, but can't recall of they had used it enough to form an opinion.

Feedback Score
    I had a similar problem with the detent pin. I've had my 6920 for many years. Last time I took it to the range it 'locked up. Turned out the detent just popped out. Once I got it opened up found the pin in the lower receiver. The buffer tube was not loose and had to loosed the castle nut and move the buffer tube back to get the new detent pin back in. The old detent pin showed no signs of wear around the edges that retains the spring, strange.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    The sheared off detent got mentioned in one of the Inrange videos and I think one or both of them stopped using the detent to eliminate the chance of it ending up in the fcg. Think they also were trying a JP captive unit, but can't recall of they had used it enough to form an opinion.
    Not only did they run it enough to have a solid opinion of it, they ran it enough to give it the IRTV Stamp of Hubris.

In any event, part of the why was because they have seen the detent break often. And because they don't even bother with the detent in their builds, they like having the captured action spring.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 06-26-18 at 13:31.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

rngr1
    You are wrong. Everyone else is correct. Marks on the buffer face are from the back of the carrier. The detent is only under load when the back of the carrier pivots off of it when the receivers separate.

Now I have seen some out of spec trash lowers that have the detent incorrectly located. And those with self destruct fairly quickly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You are wrong. Everyone else is correct. Marks on the buffer face are from the back of the carrier. The detent is only under load when the back of the carrier pivots off of it when the receivers separate.

Now I have seen some out of spec trash lowers that have the detent incorrectly located. And those with self destruct fairly quickly.
    Mark, I don't remember if it was here or not but someone had a rifle busting pins because the hole was drilled too far forward. His buffer looked like a steel toothed badger chewed on it!! I doubt that is the OP's problem on his old SP1. He is probably one and done and we'll never see what stopped the rifle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast