Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Commercial carbine solicitation?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Do you think that Third World troops can be successful in the long run with a weapon as intricate as the AR platform (when compared to the usual AK)? I guess maintenance would be my biggest question.
    No, that's why we give them AR's.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 07-14-18 at 14:36.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    M16s/M4s can last a very, very long time.

Lots of folks go ga-ga stoopid watching IDF threads, looking for older/legacy M16A1 rifle and carbine derivatives. The Philippines has weapons built in the 70s.

The Air Force has hundreds of over-stamped M16A1 derivative carbines they call GAU-5s and GUU-5s. Both the Army and Navy have thousands of M16A1s in war-storage.

Third-world M16:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

Lots of folks go ga-ga stoopid watching IDF threads, looking for older/legacy M16A1 rifle and carbine derivatives. The Philippines has weapons built in the 70s.

The Air Force has hundreds of over-stamped M16A1 derivative carbines they call GAU-5s and GUU-5s. Both the Army and Navy have thousands of M16A1s in war-storage.

Third-world M16:
    Funny you mention that pic. It reminds me of a Karen pic years ago from Burma (Myanmar nowadays) where some toothless tribesman had an M16A1 over his shoulder with the FSB and spots on the barrel rusting. I remember thinking that if an AR platform weapon could remain functional that long in a tropical, humid, jungled environment that it had to be durable. No doubt with Third World maintenance to boot.

I spent 3 years in Panama as a grunt so I can vouch for tropical conditions, but we eventually checked our weapons into an arms room after a thorough cleaning. Those Karen fighters didn't have an arms room, and had been at it for years.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

Third-world M16:
    The Navy at Tinker has some M4 rebuilds in the armory that were H&R lowers. Until that time, I didn't even know anyone other than Colt, FN and Armalite had produced the M16 FOW for the .mil.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    The Navy at Tinker has some M4 rebuilds in the armory that were H&R lowers. Until that time, I didn't even know anyone other than Colt, FN and Armalite had produced the M16 FOW for the .mil.
    The Hydra-Matic Division of General Motors also made M16A1's for the U.S. military.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Our agency received rebuilt M16A1's through the DOD LE program. Two rifles I saw had well worn PWA lower receivers.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    The Hydra-Matic Division of General Motors also made M16A1's for the U.S. military.
    Yeah, I started looking it up in the aftermath.

I did have a four digit serial number M16 when I was stationed in Iceland.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Do you think that Third World troops can be successful in the long run with a weapon as intricate as the AR platform (when compared to the usual AK)? I guess maintenance would be my biggest question.
    I remember in some 80's SOF magazine they had pictures of Viet Nam captured M16's either given or sold real cheap to South American commie insurgents. Evidently they liked a mag well hold as a few were eaten clean through on front of mag well from sweat and tropic conditions, I am talking 1-2" holes all the way through the mag wells. But they still worked.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    The Iraqi military has received substantial quantities of M16/M4's. Presumably they're working out for them.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    First M16 I fired back in 1984 was an H&R.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast