Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt-Now Outsourcing Almost Everything?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Colt-Now Outsourcing Almost Everything?

My new colt I got today. No marking on the upper, cage code on the barrel, C marked carrier, a weird marking on the bolt, unlike any colt I’ve seen in the past, super faint. Barrel has a date of 08/18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 02-20-19 at 18:28.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    So, bottom feeding gun monkeys are now btfo, because they can’t chop up complete Colts anymore?

Lmfao

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    My new colt I got today. No marking on the upper, cage code on the barrel, C marked carrier, a weird marking on the bolt, unlike any colt I’ve seen in the past, super faint. Barrel has a date of 08/18.

What kind of money are they bringing these days?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    What kind of money are they bringing these days?
    Pre tax for the Heavy Barrel I paid $1050

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    So, bottom feeding gun monkeys are now btfo, because they can’t chop up complete Colts anymore?

Lmfao
    I'm pretty sure they're going to get really handy with letter, and number punch sets in the near future.

Feedback Score
    I can't understand why they've stopped with the cage codes on the uppers. I'm a Colt fan but I can't help but suspect that Colt is going down the tubes. The top selling point of the LE6920 series was that it's made on the same machinery to the same spec as military M4s (minus the auto trigger group and having a 16" barrel instead of 14.5 inch, though even the SOCOM has 14.5). If they are marking the government guns with proof marks but not the civilian ones, who knows what other corners they're cutting for the LE series?

It almost sounds like they're using leftover Expanse parts or something.

Feedback Score

Cool

LE6960 CCU received last week. Upper has cage code, bolt carrier has a "C" and bolt has "MPC".

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think Colt's problems started probably started well before 2008, but in 2008 they started getting some unwanted scrutiny over the prices they had been charging for their government rifles:

"What we have is a fat contractor in Colt who's gotten very rich off our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan," says Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.

The M4, which can shoot hundreds of bullets a minute, is a shorter and lighter version of the company's M16 rifle first used 40 years ago during the Vietnam War. At about $1,500 apiece, the M4 is overpriced, according to Coburn.
    https://www.foxnews.com/story/report...usive-war-deal

From another story:

The original order for the M4 Carbine in the mid-1990s was a small-scale order, for a specifically requested derivative of the Army’s primary battle rifle, to equip units who would otherwise have relied on less accurate 9mm submachine guns. As such, its direct development and sole-source contract status raised little fuss. Subsequent contracts also raised little scrutiny. https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...roversy-03289/

Ultimately:

After a lengthy back-and-forth bidding war between Colt and Remington, one that would eventually involve the Government Accountability Office and the threat of a Congressional hearing, F.N. Herstal has won the contract to update and replace the Army’s aging rifles.

In April of 2012, Remington finally broke the chain of Colt contracts with the U.S. Army, placing an $84 million bid for a run of 120,000 M4A1s, with 24,000 carbines to be delivered starting September of this year.

The cost per Remington M4A1 was just $673 per. Their bid severely undercut Colt’s previous contract, which priced the rifles at over $1,200 a piece.

After Remington won the first bid, Colt immediately filed a complaint with the GAO stating that the company did not properly calculate the royalties as part of their bid, and the GAO found in Colt’s favor, at least partially.

Following the decision, the GAO told the Army that they had 65 days to solicit new bids from vendors or face Congress if they went ahead and signed the Remington contract. Not willing to face the legislature over a budgetary decision, the Army complied.

Although the list of bidders was confidential, it was obviously going to be between Colt, Remington and F.N. Herstal. (Cliff's Notes: FN won)

FN’s contract with the Army is $77 million for the first 120,000 rifles, which works out to a bottom line of just under $642 per M4A1. These will be manufactured at FNH USA in South Carolina along side the M16A4s and M249s FNH USA currently produces for the U.S. armed forces.
    https://www.guns.com/news/2013/02/26...colt-remington

My take is that you are pretty eff'ed up if knowing how much the other guy's bid you can't win the rematch.

Then in 2015:

The bankruptcy being sought by Colt Defense was fueled by missteps with gun owners, a misreading of the police firearms market and a fall in gun sales to the public after an initial spike several years ago, analysts and industry observers say.

But a major blow to the 179-year-old gun maker was the plummeting revenue from government contracts, which Moody's Investor Service said has dropped to less than 10 percent of sales from 60 percent in 2009.

Why Colt Can't Stay Out of Bankruptcy
    https://www.investopedia.com/article...t-business.asp

Despite the fact that Colt still gets government business, we may be seeing the death rattles of Colt.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post

Lmfao
    +1

This is an interesting point. Colt gets nothing from the secondary market sales. Maybe it's for the better if they chose to remove some of the markings. Want a Colt branded rifle? Buy it new from the reputable dealer/distributor and keep it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Yes, I got a bunch of 6920 uppers last week that had no cage code or C marked above the forward assist.

They went right ****ing back.

There are also a bunch of bolts appearing with just MP marked on them.
    LOL.............

Guys like you must think every part in your vehicle is made by whatever brand it is

Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast