Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: .300 blackout terminal ballistics

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    On the terminal ballistics part;

I know it's anecdotal and all, but years before the BLK JD Jones was shooting animals large and small with the .300 Whisper. His observation, and he shot a metric shitton of game and varmints, was that the 220/240gr SMK at about 1100fps seemed to duplicate the on target effect of a .44mag handgun round in ability to harvest game.

While relying on different wounding mechanisms if makes sense that two 240gr bullets striking a target at about 1100fps would have similar effects on that target.

Yes, I get that a 240gr .44 SWC is different than a 240gr .30cal BTHP, but really not worlds apart it would appear

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by t-bone6.8 View Post
    I am still trying to find merit beyond a subsonic short barreled suppressed gun, but I keep running into his bias.
    People who own 6.8's ALWAYS have this problem. You will NEVER get past this because you have a better performing round that fires from the same platform. I got a blackout to fire exclusively un-suppressed. Until I became aware of the Blackout I Knew I was going to get the 6.8 SPC. Not having to by 6.8 mags and using .556 brass are the main reason people get the Blackout over the 6.8. If you think about it for a sec. you can't argue with that logic. The rounds are close enough in performance to not really be "giving up" anything by going with the Blackout.
    L.L. this, L.L. that, soon as I walk in the place.....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    On the terminal ballistics part;

I know it's anecdotal and all, but years before the BLK JD Jones was shooting animals large and small with the .300 Whisper. His observation, and he shot a metric shitton of game and varmints, was that the 220/240gr SMK at about 1100fps seemed to duplicate the on target effect of a .44mag handgun round in ability to harvest game.

While relying on different wounding mechanisms if makes sense that two 240gr bullets striking a target at about 1100fps would have similar effects on that target.

Yes, I get that a 240gr .44 SWC is different than a 240gr .30cal BTHP, but really not worlds apart it would appear

Here is a link about small game hunting with the 220 grain sierra match king in the 300 Whisper.

Paraphrased:

220 gr SMK at approx 1040 fps from a suppressed Contender.

Raccoon at 60 yds shot through both shoulders, little hole in, little hole out, ran about 50 yds and stopped to rest. Had to be shot again.

Raccoon #2 was shot same distance, but in the head, dropped immediately.

A possum shot through the breast and ran over 100 yds little hole in, little hole out.

Third Raccoon shot from 20 yds away.The exit wound was about 2" long and narrow. Either he was fat enough to give the bullet time to yaw or it hit a big enough bone to upset it. He still ran about 75 yds and had to be shot again.

http://www.opticstalk.com/hunting-wi...opic29165.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    which will make the SBR louder than one in 5.56, also using supersonic ammunition.
    300 BLK supersonic SBR is quieter than 5.56mm because there is much less pressure at the muzzle exit due to the larger bore.

Feedback Score
    I will take $20 Hornady over $12 Remington anyday.
    Remington $10.36 per box UMC ammunition has the following features that Hornady $22 a box 300 BLK does not have:

1. NATO-like brass hardness - more like 5.56mm than 223.
    2. Sealed primers.
    3. Cannelured bullets.
    4. Custom bullet design which is optimal for 300 BLK feeding.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    DocGKR has your group actually performed ballistic testing on the 300 BLK?

It would be helpful to see some independent evaluations. Brass fetcher has tested the round but their tests appear to be skewed. The tests show a ballistic gel block that nearly flies off the table.

The confusing part of the tests are the listed impact velocities. Brassfetcher gives an impact velocity for the 110 grain Sierra HP as 2512 Feet per second. This is 200 FPS above typical listed velocities when fired through a 16 inch AR barrel. For the Remington 125 grain Accu-Tip it lists impact velocity at 2315 which is 100 FPS above typical velocities.

So either the round used in the tests were over pressure or it was fired through a bolt action rifle with a longer barrel. Obviously the tests do not accurately represent the performance when fired through a 16 inch or shorter AR barrel. It would be helpful to have valid independent ballistic testing of this round.
    From the 300 BK site -
    Notes :
    Weapon – 300 AAC BLACKOUT with 16" barrel length. Loads are at various levels of charge to simulate impacts down range
    Distance – 10.0 feet, muzzle to impact face

While this may be a industry standard practice, it may not be "real world"

http://300aacblackout.com/resources/...t06OCT2010.pdf

There is reality and then there is the Blackout.
    Last edited by t-bone6.8; 07-31-12 at 16:03.

Feedback Score
    From the 300 BK site -
    Notes :
    Weapon – 300 AAC BLACKOUT with 16" barrel length. Loads are at various levels of charge to simulate impacts down range
    Distance – 10.0 feet, muzzle to impact face
    Impact velocity is impact velocity. Those tests were done to narrow down bullets to help people select them for hunting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Impact velocity is impact velocity. Those tests were done to narrow down bullets to help people select them for hunting.
    I was responing the quoted post where it was stated the Brass Fletcher test appeared skewed. Not my words, but providing an insight for him or others to see where they came from and that they were "simulated" loads

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hehuhates View Post
    People who own 6.8's ALWAYS have this problem. You will NEVER get past this because you have a better performing round that fires from the same platform. I got a blackout to fire exclusively un-suppressed. Until I became aware of the Blackout I Knew I was going to get the 6.8 SPC. Not having to by 6.8 mags and using .556 brass are the main reason people get the Blackout over the 6.8. If you think about it for a sec. you can't argue with that logic. The rounds are close enough in performance to not really be "giving up" anything by going with the Blackout.
    Trajectory

This thread is relavant when on topic and has my interest. I never brought up 6.8 silvers did. I will drop 6.8, since that is not what this is about.

Feedback Score
    He gave an example of two loads which had velocities unattainable at 55,000 psi in a 16 inch barrel. That was a valid thing to point out.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast